Tracker

My plan is just to use the sim via text responses from the tracker. I'm probably missing something but I'm wondering how you managed to exceed fair usage when you were away in the van? Doesn't that just apply to roaming data? Genuine questions because I'm new to trackers and a bit confused. I can only think your tracker might function in a different way to mine?
Found this, their Fair Usage Policy. https://www.giffgaff.com/fair-usage-while-roaming. It seems to be saying that they allow 63 days as if at home and then give you 14 days warning before they charge at a higher rate. At least that is how I read it.

I think they just cut you off if you have been overseas for two months, regardless of how much you use it.
Even for texts? I honestly thought that just applied to data... live and learn eh?

Found this, their Fair Usage Policy. https://www.giffgaff.com/fair-usage-while-roaming. It seems to be saying that they allow 63 days as if at home and then give you 14 days warning before they charge at a higher rate. At least that is how I read it.
Thanks Cronkle. Although most of the guidance refers to data, there is indeed mention of texts in there. The good news is that it looks as though they just start charging for them at 1p per text instead of free, with no mention of cutting off, so I'm happy enough with that (y)

Yes Giff Gaff as with most have a 2 month limit...Which they "advertise" fairly
A bit like the 90 day rule but better..Once you use it in UK even for 1 day you get another 2 months away .(not that it is much use !)

I keep a spare Three simcard (Prepaid) for such emergencies..
A PAIN but read the small print...Not likely to get any better
As Fraser (Dad's Army) would say "We are all doomed".
But then Corporal Jones "Don't panic!"

PS I got a monthly Three contract in 2016 for Norway etc.
We were abroad for over 3 months and no problem/ cut off
I then cancelled the contract with no problem !
Three do seem better than most !

Actually O2 only allow you two months use in the EU, then you would have to spend two months back In the UK for it to reset, we found this out the hard way, we spent 7 weeks in Spain November and December before returning back to the UK for Xmas and New year, we spent about 15 days back in the UK thinking it will reset.

How wrong were we, we returned back to Spain and we then received a text from O2 warning us that we would be charged for use after a fortnight, I rung them querying this, which they then confirmed you can only spend two months out of a 4 month period out of the UK, so we switched data off after the two weeks so that we did not get charged, I have since cancelled the contract and put my wife's phone on a Three sim as I spent 7 weeks out of the UK before Xmas and then went back after New year for a further 10 weeks and had no issues.

1. Vehicle cannot be started once the system is armed or the alarm activated
  2. The engine can be stopped remotely and alarm sounded and hazards flashing if you forget to arm the system
  3. Tracking all over Europe and beyond
  4. Nationwide fitting with friendly service
  5. Cheaper than most competitors without compramise on quality

My plan is just to use the sim via text responses from the tracker. I'm probably missing something but I'm wondering how you managed to exceed fair usage when you were away in the van?
Well while at home it wasn't used at all when away family have the number to see where we are it works by sending it a text it responds with a google link it had only responded to 5 enquires and gifgaf turned it off

But not for trackers: trackers use 2G and Three is a 3G network.
Thanks,
I have a cheap and cheerful tracker..But as yet failed to get it to work reliably ! Probably for the reason you suggest.

I thought 3g would be the maximum and 2G would be used instead.

I use the TK tracker too. Works well but sometimes the gps signal wonders and the geofence alarm goes off and gives the impression the van has moved to Morrisons or the Bishops Palace!! A quick look out of the window shows Elle is still asleep on the drive. I use a giffgaff sim which costs £6 a month. The alarm uses very little of the sim allowance so I use the same card in a spare phone to give me extra text and calls when we are away. Works well for us.

does that mean your tracker is off duty while the sim is in your phone then?

Hi All

Disclosure: I provide and sell these cheap tracking devices.

So I can say, they can be jammed, they can be found, they can be removed. They are not fool proof. They are not the complete answer to preventing theft.

But, assuming it has not been detected, jammed, removed, it does tell you when your vehicle or whatever has moved. My solution allows you to track the asset every 30 secs on a map.

I use roaming SIMs.

Where I (and others) find it really useful is being able to see where you've been on a map in 30s intervals. Nice for making a blog etc. Gives a bit of value-add rather than just being useful for security. You can allow selected others access if you wish. Great for the family :)

Personally, I use a Metatrak solution which is not completely infallible but rather good, plus my own solution. Plus a wheel clamp. Plus cameras.

What we really need is cheap tracker solution that is not able to be jammed or detected. Then we are in the game.

But my personal opinion is that thieves are often not that interested in trying to defeat devices but would much rather nick it, park it and see if it's not collected.

We can only do what we can do.

Can someone tell me how to turn the TK tracker of when using the van ,the motion sensor alerts my Android phone if I roll over in bed.

I use a gift pay as you go sim. Much cheaper than £6 ad on , their is a way you get gifgaff to ad £3 of credit automatically when credit is low .so it won't run out when you are chasing your van down the motorway.

Last edited:
Just finding my way around the app myself. I think it is

Open the app.
Press 'Issue command' button.
Press 'Vibration alarm' switch.
Press 'Off'.

Mine said that my unit was not awake so command could not be sent but I think the way to wake it up would be to send it a command text.

I hope I've got this right - if not please tell me.

Just finding my way around the app myself. I think it is

Open the app.
Press 'Issue command' button.
Press 'Vibration alarm' switch.
Press 'Off'.

Mine said that my unit was not awake so command could not be sent but I think the way to wake it up would be to send it a command text. Quote. Thanks I'm on it. .PS text G123456# to wake the tracker

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back