Truly, how much does electric hook up cost site owners, you may be amazed how little.

TrevandJenny

We have just had two nights at Smeaton lakes Newark on Trent. Hard standing with electric.
At Smeaton you are given a log on card to insert at meter on pitch and an exit card to stop and record the electric You then go to reception and they advise cost, and I mean cost, they charge the camper the cost price of electricity used.
Two day electric cost us £2.26p, ok nice weather no need for heater, we watched telly cooked meals charged the leisure batteries.
Now check out the cost at both the clubs plus private sites, how much of a rip off, huge or what.

10/10 to Smeaton lakes site, always a nice stay.

I read somewhere it is illegal for a site to make profit from the electricity they supply. What truth was in the article I'm not sure.

Last place I got hookup was Lochore. Was £4 extra for the day. With the Victron Cerbo I could see how much I used, and applied the per KWh unit rate I'd have to pay.
I got my money's worth!

I read somewhere it is illegal for a site to make profit from the electricity they supply. What truth was in the article I'm not sure.
That is right I understand. It will be averaged out over the site and year I would think so be plenty of people using more than they are paying for with unmetered daily charge EHU

When we rented out property with a coin meter there was a maximum rate you could set the meter at, so presumably similar rules apply to campsites

Naff all in the summer but The big user will be heating. I reckon that on a cold winters day you could easily use a 1kw/hour. Thats about £10 a day.

Naff all in the summer but The big user will be heating. I reckon that on a cold winters day you could easily use a 1kw/hour. Thats about £10 a day.
And a 3-way fridge on 240V uses around 4kWh/Day.
Add in things that a lot of folk use, especially if they are campsite fans .... Air Fryers, induction hobs, toasters, electric kettles, plus heat water with Electric ... that could add up go quite a bit.
I used £4 worth at Lochore and that was basically just heating water and recharging low battery (solar was rubbish during stay so just moved van to EHU pitch for one day)

Good point Merl, so to bring it down to cost, for every warm day the user is subsidising colder days, as the majority of camping, caravan camper or motorhoming is done in warmer months. light use costs less, as Wildebus points out 240v fridge gobbles power, ours was on 240v for both days.
With the overall increases in everyday items over the last couple of years, increasing site fees, it really grates to be ripped off with leccy.
With the help of Wildebus and others on here I now have near perfect self sufficient solar. We rarely use hook up, Smeaton lakes site is the exception.
Now if sites put in meters,!!!!!!!

On the fridge thing... I think quite a few people leave their fridges on 240V all the time when plugged in at home?
Maybe to use as extra space?
Something to think about .... it can be cheaper to buy a brand new compressor fridge, leave it running 24/7 for a year and then throw it away, rather than run a motorhome fridge on 240V for a year!

Good point Merl, so to bring it down to cost, for every warm day the user is subsidising colder days, as the majority of camping, caravan camper or motorhoming is done in warmer months. light use costs less, as Wildebus points out 240v fridge gobbles power, ours was on 240v for both days.
With the overall increases in everyday items over the last couple of years, increasing site fees, it really grates to be ripped off with leccy.
With the help of Wildebus and others on here I now have near perfect self sufficient solar. We rarely use hook up, Smeaton lakes site is the exception.
Now if sites put in meters,!!!!!!!
Except in Winter a lot of them are closed. An open site in the Highlands last winter was extremely hard to find unless you wanted to pay a lot

With our fridge on EHU we use around 5-6KwH per day when on metered sites. The fridge is on setting 3 out of 5, which does the job well. I suspect many folks have it on 4 or 5 out of 5 which I think is unnecessary.

With our fridge on EHU we use around 5-6KwH per day when on metered sites. The fridge is on setting 3 out of 5, which does the job well. I suspect many folks have it on 4 or 5 out of 5 which I think is unnecessary.
They are just so inefficient on electricity!

Reactions: GMJ
Tbf our 5-6 KwH per day usage is for all the other electric usage as well: lights, kettle, recharging stuff mainly. We use gas for water and space heating.

Last edited:
It's would be a fairer system if every pitch has a meter on it, so you basically paid for what you used, I believe they can charge a slightly higher unit rate to cover the infrastructure investment.

When I kept my motorboat at Largs marina between 2005 and 2011 we had a meter built into the shore power leads that you plugged in to the boat and shore power and you just paid for the usage. It was quite low cost in the summer but with the engine bay fitted out with electric heaters to protect the engines from frost damage in the winter months it could get expensive. So it would have been hard for the marina to calculate a fair fixed rate per night.

Screenshot_2024-09-22-10-08-10-202_com.android.chrome.jpg

You are absolutely right. I have been on a metered site in winter and £10 a day would be the starting point, I very quickly switched to gas heating. I was on another metered CL last year and the site owner said the metering was saving money even in summer. The camper who pushed her into metering was a caravaner who ran mains air conditioning in the van all day with the windows and door open into an awning hoping that it would cool that too.

You are absolutely right. I have been on a metered site in winter and £10 a day would be the starting point, I very quickly switched to gas heating. I was on another metered CL last year and the site owner said the metering was saving money even in summer. The camper who pushed her into metering was a caravaner who ran mains air conditioning in the van all day with the windows and door open into an awning hoping that it would cool that too.
Installing metering probably not a huge investment long term .
Only have gas heating which , I find , cheap to run . 6m PVC heats up very quickly

We have just had two nights at Smeaton lakes Newark on Trent. Hard standing with electric.
At Smeaton you are given a log on card to insert at meter on pitch and an exit card to stop and record the electric You then go to reception and they advise cost, and I mean cost, they charge the camper the cost price of electricity used.
Two day electric cost us £2.26p, ok nice weather no need for heater, we watched telly cooked meals charged the leisure batteries.
Now check out the cost at both the clubs plus private sites, how much of a rip off, huge or what.

10/10 to Smeaton lakes site, always a nice stay.
The initial cost of putting hooks up in at a site will be huge and maintaining it safely will not be cheap no doubt it will all need safety checks and certification so the cost to the end user will of course be high,especially as some users will take the P for sure , we seldom use hook ups anyway or sites for that matter , but are prepared to pay the price if and when we do ?

...........The camper who pushed her into metering was a caravanner who ran mains air conditioning in the van all day with the windows and door open into an awning hoping that it would cool that too.
Same tale from us. A site owner I chatted to blamed a caravanner who ran his heater into his awning, and following that bit of selfishness the owner installed meters.

We were well within the daily usage and had no need of any top-up, but I found that I stil watched the meter. They work.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:164)

runnach, Marshman, Heppy, Sonar, jeffmossy, mistericeman, Scotia, wildebus, SimonM, The laird, Molly 3, edina, saxonborg, 2cv, Undertaker, Dowel, tonybvi, Bouydog, TissyD, MrKenny, s4x4c, TeamRienza, merl, noah and nelly, alwaysared, Winks, Boris7, bobemmo29, oppy, Lee, KevB, Bigshug, trevskoda, paulhelenwilko, RichardHelen262, AllanD, Exwindsurfer, Cooperman, Owen1953, Obanboy666, HurricaneSmith, Tribute11, jagmanx, AdriaTwin, Burge, nabsim, flying kipper, Linca, El radge, helmit, GMJ, Mobilvetta, Okta, Steveandjulie, Alberto, number14, V1nny, Tezza33, Bpatrickr, Trigger, Greengrass, FIJIT, andromeda, Nickrock1974, Matchlock, rugbyken, royh28, Val54, Weldted, Chip, ChrissyW, marchie, kevlakes, St3v3, Campervanannie, Wully, Alshymer, Admin, Trotter, andyjanet, forthpilot, Millie Master, Matthew362, Hotel Du Van, johndoris, Forcesixwindy, TJBi, Norfolk NewBoy, mendit, Sharon the Cat, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Pudsey Bear, Hymer Snobs, Jo001, Iandsm, palette, Tucky, Ted, Cujimi, CriftinsCampers, Martin P, Birsay61, Rosehip, mikewroe, Bounce, RegnVal, Stonedaddy, Allen, Tartarus, Eno, mariesnowgoose, delboy668, Tim120, Big Alan, Carrerasax, Johnny mac, Beldea, libby, Caz, Trek, Owlhouse, Chasn, exmusso, Mothership, TonyEmm, EllieM, Reiverlad, KevinW, Di1234, Dromengro, bilw, Jon Eskdale, walpeter, davef, alun100, Eggbeater, Landyseverywhere, Dell, TonyandJo, wilfyboy@hotmail.com, DAVEY, Rumour, Hotrats13, roadroamer, CuckooChaser, CWH, linkshouse, grantandmargie, Bazza1509, Rapido9, Kontiki659, horace, GMLS, Suepaskins, azcazc, Rodders1234, Nick-Mandy, Moocher, Meloc8, Canonball, Pandaman2020, RichieM, hayhiker, Calianbay,
Back