Truly, how much does electric hook up cost site owners, you may be amazed how little.

The initial cost of installing electric hook-ups across the site could be tens of thousands. The site may need to upgrade the grid electric supply, which could be tens of thousands. Then, you have ongoing maintenance and inspection costs. If the site ended up spending £50,000 on a 50-pitch site, it would take a lot of nights to see a return on that investment. It would not be just to load that cost onto people who don't use electricity.

We try to avoid large sites now.

I asked the owner of a CL I stayed at how much it cost to install his metered system. He said it was a little over £3000, and that for him it was worth it. (I didn't ask about ongoing maintenance and testing.) I knew it was an expensive site when I booked, but I wanted to be close to a specific place, and for us it was worth it.

Other rural five van sites we've stayed at could never afford that kind of money and instead may choose to close. If so, that loss of stock would become a problem for everyone.

We’re use EHU when we can buts it’s for the fridge and hot water only
All heating is either diesel or gas.

Solar panels and lithium batteries on a Victron charger.
Although it looks on the display that the solar does the work.
Maybe wrong often I am.

Same tale from us. A site owner I chatted to blamed a caravanner who ran his heater into his awning, and following that bit of selfishness the owner installed meters.

We were well within the daily usage and had no need of any top-up, but I found that I stil watched the meter. They work.

I had to go on a site for a night over near Hornsea to top my battery’s up winter 2022/2023. It was a small 5van site with a toilet, elsan point and shower and advertised as £15 per night with EHU. When I arrived the owner said I was welcome to stay but he had to increase charge to £20 per night, this was due to the jump in costs to him when Russia invaded Ukraine.

It wasn’t only the cost per unit that had increased but they were charging him £7.50 per day standing charge. I was the first to go on site for a week and a half.

I see that today’s rate is £27.50 per night and I am fairly sure this increase will be almost all down to the cost of keeping open all year and providing hook up. I have much more sympathy with small, less used sites open all year than seasonal sites or bigger bust ones.

We have just had two nights at Smeaton lakes Newark on Trent. Hard standing with electric.
At Smeaton you are given a log on card to insert at meter on pitch and an exit card to stop and record the electric You then go to reception and they advise cost, and I mean cost, they charge the camper the cost price of electricity used.
Two day electric cost us £2.26p, ok nice weather no need for heater, we watched telly cooked meals charged the leisure batteries.
Now check out the cost at both the clubs plus private sites, how much of a rip off, huge or what.

10/10 to Smeaton lakes site, always a nice stay.
Hi, what was the cost of the pitch??

The initial cost of installing electric hook-ups across the site could be tens of thousands. The site may need to upgrade the grid electric supply, which could be tens of thousands. Then, you have ongoing maintenance and inspection costs. If the site ended up spending £50,000 on a 50-pitch site, it would take a lot of nights to see a return on that investment. It would not be just to load that cost onto people who don't use electricity.
We owned a cl ,bought it 2006 it had no hook ups,we quickly found out most telephone enquiries led to no booking when we told them no hook up s ,so I installed 8posts and cabeling,as we only had a 100 amp supply to the house,I enquired about a bigger supply quote was for 3phase ..£10,000,or another single phase £4000 (+ an extra standing charge) so cl hook up's were set at 6amp.Hook up s had to be certified annually ,at around 12 yrs sparky condemned all the Boxes said the plastic was brittle and as they had to be able to " withstand a reasonable impact " cost around £200 per post !
So yes a fair investment but not many customers without it and customers do take the P more than once got called to electric keeps tripping and there's nothing on...only to find them sitting in the awning at night in spring with a cold drink and fan heater on

When visiting the lakes which more or less is ever 2 weeks I have used the same CS site near Penrith th3 last 14 years.
Due to the increase in electricity price he has to pay he was losing money charging £6.00 a day for ehu. He now closes from November until April.

On a site at the Chevin near Otley Yorkshire. We were on metered electric at 31.5p per kwh. Put our fridge on gas, we were there several weeks and cost of electric £12.50. They charged electric at cost. No complaints.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:164)

runnach, Marshman, Heppy, Sonar, jeffmossy, mistericeman, Scotia, wildebus, SimonM, The laird, Molly 3, edina, saxonborg, 2cv, Undertaker, Dowel, tonybvi, Bouydog, TissyD, MrKenny, s4x4c, TeamRienza, merl, noah and nelly, alwaysared, Winks, Boris7, bobemmo29, oppy, Lee, KevB, Bigshug, trevskoda, paulhelenwilko, RichardHelen262, AllanD, Exwindsurfer, Cooperman, Owen1953, Obanboy666, HurricaneSmith, Tribute11, jagmanx, AdriaTwin, Burge, nabsim, flying kipper, Linca, El radge, helmit, GMJ, Mobilvetta, Okta, Steveandjulie, Alberto, number14, V1nny, Tezza33, Bpatrickr, Trigger, Greengrass, FIJIT, andromeda, Nickrock1974, Matchlock, rugbyken, royh28, Val54, Weldted, Chip, ChrissyW, marchie, kevlakes, St3v3, Campervanannie, Wully, Alshymer, Admin, Trotter, andyjanet, forthpilot, Millie Master, Matthew362, Hotel Du Van, johndoris, Forcesixwindy, TJBi, Norfolk NewBoy, mendit, Sharon the Cat, Mr and Mrs Tupcox, Pudsey Bear, Hymer Snobs, Jo001, Iandsm, palette, Tucky, Ted, Cujimi, CriftinsCampers, Martin P, Birsay61, Rosehip, mikewroe, Bounce, RegnVal, Stonedaddy, Allen, Tartarus, Eno, mariesnowgoose, delboy668, Tim120, Big Alan, Carrerasax, Johnny mac, Beldea, libby, Caz, Trek, Owlhouse, Chasn, exmusso, Mothership, TonyEmm, EllieM, Reiverlad, KevinW, Di1234, Dromengro, bilw, Jon Eskdale, walpeter, davef, alun100, Eggbeater, Landyseverywhere, Dell, TonyandJo, wilfyboy@hotmail.com, DAVEY, Rumour, Hotrats13, roadroamer, CuckooChaser, CWH, linkshouse, grantandmargie, Bazza1509, Rapido9, Kontiki659, horace, GMLS, Suepaskins, azcazc, Rodders1234, Nick-Mandy, Moocher, Meloc8, Canonball, Pandaman2020, RichieM, hayhiker, Calianbay,
Back