Truma Combi 6 woes

alwaysared

While I was at Hereford the developed a small but continuos drip from a small pipe near the Truma Combi 6 heater, I asked the Truma guy at the NEC show about it and he said it would be the top elbow and was quite common. So I traced the pipe back and low and behold it was a smzll pipe going to the top elbow which also connects the hot water out pipe. I did a search on Google and it does seem like a lot of people are having the same problem so I go to my local caravan store and buy a new one, come home, fitted it, filled up the water turned on the heater and as soon as it started to heat up the pipe starts dripping again! So does anyone have any suggestions where to look next. The leaking pipe is a breather pipe and is intended to allow the draining of the system.

Regards,
Del

I'm following this as I have notice a drip from one of the over flow pipes from my Truma 6 heating system, it has two pipes coming out of the floor, I presume one is for the drain off valve, but don't know what the other is for, it's only just started happening, plus our water pump every now and again makes a noise for a split second as though someone has turned a tap on. It is still under warranty and I will get the dealer to look at it once we return to the UK.

The Truma frost valve is also an over pressure protection device which operates at about 4bar. When water is heated it expands and in a sealed pressure system the 'surplus' can be vented via the device especially if its operating pressure is for some reason lower than specified. I noticed this happening in Spain last year when the ambient temperature was high. When the boiler neared its operating temperature of 60 degrees a spurt of water was released by the valve.
It is also possible for the boiler red valve which combines the hot water out with a valve which allows air to enter the boiler when it is draining down to leak.

Thanks for that information, I just hope it lasts another month until I get back to the UK.

It is also possible for the boiler red valve which combines the hot water out with a valve which allows air to enter the boiler when it is draining down to leak.
This is the pipe I'm having trouble with, I've ordered another Red elbow and we'll see what happens.

Regards,
Del

If it’s the pipe from the frost valve dripping, try opening and closing the valve a few times. I did this when I had a drip from that pipe and it stopped.
If your pump is pressure operated, the dripping will lower the pressure in the system and the pump running will repressurise it.

I would use self amalgamating tape to bind any leaking joint. You can do this without draining down. Several years back I had a leak on an awkward heating hose on my car, cured it with self amalgamating tape, probably more permanent than the original hose.

Well I left the hot water system off last night out of curiosity, no leaks on the floor this morning and no pump coming on at intervals in the night, so it must be over expansion when we have the hot water on that is causing the dripping and then when it gets below pressure the pump kicks in for a second to re-pressurise it. Do I get Marquis the motorhome agents to deal with this when I return to the UK or do I get hold of Truma as with it been a new van it came with two years warranty.

Well I left the hot water system off last night out of curiosity, no leaks on the floor this morning and no pump coming on at intervals in the night, so it must be over expansion when we have the hot water on that is causing the dripping and then when it gets below pressure the pump kicks in for a second to re-pressurise it. Do I get Marquis the motorhome agents to deal with this when I return to the UK or do I get hold of Truma as with it been a new van it came with two years warranty.
Dave goung by reports ive read etc think I’d be inclined to get truma to attend to it if you can imho
( peace o mind? )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back