Truma Frost Protection Valve

It cuts in at between 6 and 8C. Our boiler is on over night at 15C. On return obviously we drain down. We have run it like this for 2years+ with nno issues. Each to their own eh? We manage the palaver knowledgeably.

B2
6-8C? that is significantly above a freezing risk I would have thought? Where I am in the Borders, that would mean the water could be dumped overnight in October when there is not really a risk of actual freezing and you end up starting a trip with empty tanks. Handy.
Hmm.. I would call that a palaver. No wonder you removed the 'feature'!

Yes, 6-8 degrees is a silly temperature for it to trip. Perhaps that's why Truma set it to trip at 3 degrees.

If you fill your tanks before a trip, also turn the heating on, set to a temperature of 5 degrees or more (I use 12 or 13 degrees) with the cupboards open to warm the van up.

Problem solved, and much more comfortable!

JUST BEEN OUT TO MY VAN WITH EMPTY TANKS DUE TO THE OPERATIONAL DUMP VALVE ,PUT HEATING ON ELECTRIC ONLY THREE MINUTES LIFTED HATCH RESET DUMP VALVE AND FILLED WITH FRESH WATER
HEATING WILL NOW BE ON VERY VERY LOW TILL I DEPART SOUTH ASAP
HEATING PIPES RUN NEXT TO VALVE IN FLOOR ,I DO NOT FIND THIS A HARDSHIP AT ALL BUT IN FACT I WOULD RATHER DUMP WATER THAN HAVE FROZEN PIPES AND OR FLOODED INTERIOR ( MY OPINION ONLY )
ONCE THE VAN IS HEATED UP I WILL CLOSE CUPBOARD DOORS ETC

The Brustner valves are set as I said to the 6C obviously on other vans it will differ. For goodness sake can we be polite. Why did I not post on this forum recently?

B2

I've seen no sign of impoliteness.
I have never tested it, but I noticed that my motorhome did not drop its water when parked in temperatures of as low as 5 degrees for several weeks, according to weather reports.
This was as I would expect. Truma say the trigger temperature is 3 degrees:

"Automatic opening of the safety/drain valve
If the temperature at the safety/drain valve is below about 3 °C, it will open automatically and the pushbutton pops out (position c)."

Why would they lie? If you don't have a Truma frost protection valve, you're commenting in the wrong discussion.

I suspect that your confusion is due to the fact that although the frost protection valve opens at 3 degrees, it cannot be closed again until it is at "about 7 degrees".

Clothes peg , plus a screw or nail pushed through the hole, to sit on the clothes peg.
My first ever trip problem. Found out eventually, every time you turn the 12 volt off, the frost valve opens. After 2 very cold nights, the 3rd,with heating was aaahhhh!
The old model of Truma FPV (the sort with a red button on the top) needed a 12v supply. It should have been wired so that it was always live.
The newer version (blue butterfly on top, button on the side) doesn't have any 12v power.
The heating works perfectly well without water in the system. In cold weather, put the heating on for an hour before you shut the drip valve and fill the water.

The Truma Frost Valve had tripped on Brunhilde, and it took about 3 attempts to get the button home. We're at Flodden Field, with no services, so heating on and squeaky bum time, hoping any dumping is confined to the cassette; which might be the next problem .. 😉

Steve

Why no heating? The dump valve doesn't stop the heating working.
Once the heating has warmed the van up, you can reset the dump valve

No heating? The dump valve doesn't stop the heating working.
Once the heating has warmed the van up, you can reset the dump valve
Not sure if this reply is in response to my post. My concern is losing the fresh water contents if the temperature drops. Just lost all power for some 2 seconds and Truma showing Error Code E170H 'risk of low voltage' so early night!

Steve

Yes, it was in response to your post. Clearly you have an electrical problem, nothing to do with the dump valve. For now, I guess you need to start the engine.

Reset Truma System 2 clear fault. Leisure battery lithium says 13.25v on App and Starter 12.88v on multi meter. SB is 6 weeks old and lithium nearly 6 months old. Am running engine now to play safe. 3 degrees and ice warning on instrument panel. Don't understand why Truma playing up. Only 2 x 2.15w led lights & heater at 18 degrees. Any thoughts?

Steve

I had electrical problems with my Truma. It turned out that the spade terminals in its power lead were a very loose connection.
A previous problem (some years ago) was the fuse holder in the main cable from the leisure bank had overheated and was not holding the fuse tightly enough any more.

Thanks. LB now 13.6v and getting 18v+ from alternator. Can't measure VB but started at 12.88v b4 I ran the engine and it had 85 miles run today so I'll ask David of Wildebus tomorrow morning to check/advise. Engine running 4 25 mins now so will shut down

Steve

If the engine is running, 12.88v is very low for SB.
12.88v b4 starting engine. VB was about 12.56v at home b4 start up. The Vanbitz relay doesn't like lithium and struggles to pass current over to VB. David is going to sort out with AMT 12 Relay tomorrow

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back