Truma gas heater with no water????

Hymer Snobs

So, I've drained the water to prevent freezing so have no water whatsoever; can I still put my Truma blown air heating on as long as I don't turn it to water heating?

Thanks Gordon, I felt that would be the case but I wanted someone to reassure me and hold my hand 😁. Thanks again

Thanks Gordon, I felt that would be the case but I wanted someone to reassure me and hold my hand 😁. Thanks again
Yeah no probs as I say mines has been drained fully for weeks now and I have had the heating on many times and actually felt like staying in the van at the house as it was that cosy
i also put the heating on for a few minutes so I can close the auto drain valve to fill up water system ,mines has the auto drain valve electrically operated saves trying to heat valve with a hair dryer
is your drain valve manual or automatic

Yeah no probs as I say mines has been drained fully for weeks now and I have had the heating on many times and actually felt like staying in the van at the house as it was that cosy
i also put the heating on for a few minutes so I can close the auto drain valve to fill up water system ,mines has the auto drain valve electrically operated saves trying to heat valve with a hair dryer
is your drain valve manual or automatic
Its a manual valve but it's stayed closed and heating is on and it's not blown up...yet! 😁

I use mine when drained and have done for a few hymers but I thought I would show this if it helps
all the best Gordon
Out of Interest, would there be any risk to the element if the electric WAS turned on for the water? or is the system aware it is drained and so would prevent the water heater being activated?

Wondering as I think an immersion element can burn out it left on without water (like a kettle would)?
My own Truma Water Heater and Room Heater are totally independant from each other and from their heater sources, so I physically turn off the socket to the water boiler so I can't even try to turn the heater on accidentally (paranoia reigns :) )

i have mine on mains at times with heating on heating only NEVER on HEAT WATER WHEN BOILER EMPTY
there will be a plug and socket (black and white) by the water boiler you could physically pull apart if you wanted a belt & braces approach?

Just make sure it's only heating and not heating/water or heating water
Absolutely, it was that that made me concerned in the first place but I'll reiterate your words that no one should operate the heat water unless water is in the heater tank. My question was only about blown air heating only so thankyou for reinforcing that

This reminds me of my very first overnight in my van. Didn't know about the frost valve. As soon as I turned on a tap, the water was dumped.
Not understanding the situation, resulted in a very cold night.
I still don't know if I can run the lpg heater, with an empty water tank.
Although, this should no longer be an issue. The belt and braces approach I've developed, has taken care of that.
Cheap Chinese diesel heater (y)

I understand that Jeff. Can you heat the MH, when the water tank is empty? As in a situation I described?

There are two types of frost protection valves one manual and one electic
mines is the latter,below 5degs it dumps as long as I don't set programme to water and heat no damage will be done to boiler but if I SELECTED WATER AND HEATING THE BOILER WILL GET DAMAGED as far as I'm aware
hope this is of help

I understand that Jeff. Can you heat the MH, when the water tank is empty? As in a situation I described?
Water tank and boiler both drained ,taps left open shower head in lowest position even on floor totally drain system isolate the water pump if 12volt system is enabled or shut taps etc

Last edited:
you will most of the time find what you are looking for on here we have had both systems the alda is the better one
. cheyenne

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back