Truma Room Heater on Gas

wildebus

I have one of the typical Truma Room/Space Heaters in my 2007 Motorhome (S3002 or S3004 model I think?).
Does anyone know/confirm from experience how much LPG/hour it will burn on the lowest setting (1 out of the 1-10 range)?

The specs I have found for the S3004 say:
"Gas Consumption: 30–280 g/h" - which ties up with a control range of 1 to 10 if they are all equal steps.

There are 1.96 litres in 1kg of LPG, so 30g = 60ml near enough.
If paying £1/litre for LPG, 60ml of LPG would be 6p/hour to run the heater.
The relevance of this is that I am finding the Gas heater, even at the lowest setting seems to be much more effective at increasing the motorhome interior temperature then the 400W min oil-rad, which uses around 250W/hour (it cycles on and off which is why it is not 400W/hour). Current rates, 250Wh costs about 9p/hour.
I have the fan on the Truma heater running so the heat is being circulated better than the radiator, but it seems remarkably better even at the very lowest setting, which I think is 350W? (it is a 3500W rated heater, so if position 1 is a 10th of position 10, 1 should be a tenth of 3500W?).

Does seem to be the case that it is cheaper to run on the on-board gas than to plug into EHU for heat (answer may be different if using Calor bottles where the price/litre would be a fair bit more though?).

Right now I am running a pattern of having the Truma set low and running on Gas during the day but turning off in the evening and letting the plug-in radiator take over as not keen on totally unattended gas fires.

Can't answer directly but it should be in the manual Dave.

LAst three vans have had that heater and on low it's powerful enough and doesn't seem to use a lot.

Page 8 dave

file:///C:/Users/User/Dropbox/Downloads/truma-heating-s3004-s5004-operating-en.pdf

Can't answer directly but it should be in the manual Dave.

LAst three vans have had that heater and on low it's powerful enough and doesn't seem to use a lot.

Page 8 dave

file:///C:/Users/User/Dropbox/Downloads/truma-heating-s3004-s5004-operating-en.pdf
that link is to your own hard drive ;)

Weird as I haven't downloaded it, but it should open in Dropbox and you can view it from there or download it.

The gas consumption sounds about right from what I can recall from the Truma 4 Heater in our old Swift 2 Berth Touring Caravan, David. We were not shy with the gas and used to manage about 8 weeks on a Spanish 11kg bottle. The gas heating flexible tubing does a great job of heating the M/Home interior, and can be boosted by closing the bathroom vent in the evening to concnetrate the heat distribution into the hab area to create a toastie feel, even if the thermostat is at a modest 16 degrees or so

Steve

I have one of the typical Truma Room/Space Heaters in my 2007 Motorhome (S3002 or S3004 model I think?).
Does anyone know/confirm from experience how much LPG/hour it will burn on the lowest setting (1 out of the 1-10 range)?

"Gas Consumption: 30–280 g/h" - which ties up with a control range of 1 to 10 if they are all equal steps.

The relevance of this is that I am finding the Gas heater, even at the lowest setting seems to be much more effective at increasing the motorhome interior temperature then the 400W min oil-rad, which uses around 250W/hour (it cycles on and off which is why it is not 400W/hour). Current rates, 250Wh costs about 9p/hour.
I have the fan on the Truma heater running so the heat is being circulated better than the radiator, but it seems remarkably better even at the very lowest setting, which I think is 350W? (it is a 3500W rated heater, so if position 1 is a 10th of position 10, 1 should be a tenth of 3500W?).

Does seem to be the case that it is cheaper to run on the on-board gas than to plug into EHU for heat (answer may be different if using Calor bottles where the price/litre would be a fair bit more though?).

Right now I am running a pattern of having the Truma set low and running on Gas during the day but turning off in the evening and letting the plug-in radiator take over as not keen on totally unattended gas fires.
Petrol n deisel down lpg up , our local lpg £1.30

All I can had we did 5 nights out and the night time temperature was around -5. We had heating on all the time day set at 19c and night time set at 12c. We used 23.88 ltr at a cost of £19.03, the lpg cost 79.7 a ltr at Morrisons.

1 litre of LPG (propane) contains 7.08 kWh of energy. At £1.00 per litre you are paying just over 14p per kWh for your gas. The unit rate for electricity can vary but the Government cap is 34p per kWh. Even allowing for some heat losses from the flue, gas is heaps cheaper than mains electricity.

Truma claim 98% efficiency for their Combi boiler but I can’t find a figure for the S3004.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back