Truma space/water heater element may have stopped working

GMJ

On our current trip we have noticed that the hot water has not been heating up to full temperature even after being on for a good long while. There is some warmth in the water but it doesn't get hot. This is on mains EHU.

We are also getting warm air blown but we think we have noticed that the MH isn't getting as warm as usual. I caveat this though as this is our first time out this winter in a cold snap so it may be us!

My question is: has anyone changed the electrical element in their Truma boiler themselves? Is it a DIY job? I'll have to confirm the model but I think its the 6E and in my memory banks I think it may have 2 elements (but happy to be corrected on that one).

I guess I'll need to test the element first so any advice on that would be helpful too.

Of course if I cant get at the boiler then this all becomes elementary (sorry!) as it seems to be well hidden somewhere at the back of our MH withing the cupboard/garage construction.

Everything works as it should do on gas btw.

Thanks for reading.

My first job will be finding it and then I can see what model it is (4E or 6E). I have the original documentation that came with the MH but the Truma manual simply says Truma Combi, with no reference to any art numbers; and the A-T booklet just lists generic instructions for the boiler being a Truma 4E/Truma 6E!

Before you go into depths looking at parts lists and how to get to the element to swap it, checked for any blown fuses or tripped breakers?

Before you go into depths looking at parts lists and how to get to the element to swap it, checked for any blown fuses or tripped breakers?

Roger that ...but as I mentioned we are still getting heating and water heating albeit at a lower than normal efficacy.

Roger that ...but as I mentioned we are still getting heating and water heating albeit at a lower than normal efficacy.
Aha.
Heating and Water share the same electric element? I had read it as only water affected.
I am only familiar (and only as a user at that) with the Truma separates - UltraStor and Ultraheat - and they are totally independant of each other.

Going by a post on the other forum, looks like two elements - and depending on settings, one or other or both coming on. Does sound like one element has failed, but could be the switching or relay to activate one of them? I'd get a meter on the element terminals and check they have a voltage (this is AC Voltage of course, so utmost care is required when checking!)
If you have a way to check power draw, turn on the heater on different settings and check power goes up - or is even drawn - as well. As you say ... it could be working but just not as effective as you thought it should be? I think many folk don't seem to rate the Truma heating via electric?
That's the approach I would take anyway to try and pin down to an area.

The Truma Combi manual refers to heating elements, which suggests more than one, so entirely possible that one element has ceased to function.

Reactions: GMJ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back