Uk to Spain , Drive or Ferry ?

I would have no trouble leaving Roxy at home for 5 - 6 hours with the radio on, the Dover Dunkirk crossing she was very nervous on I think it is all the engine noise we had left her too on her own, she seemed to settle on the tunnel after 10 minutes when she realised we were staying with her, but I honestly think a lot of the time it is me
Trouble is, even if it is that she picks up on your vibes, it still distresses her. Chloe is very nervous, has only ever been left for a couple of hours max ( previous owned by son who lived on own) and is old now so we do pander to her. Previous dog was grumpy if we didn't leave her for a few hours on her own....used to us working!

I will be using the Chunel this year, I shop around every year (this is the 19th year) for the best price and work out the difference including Ferry to France / Train and Ferry to Spain (Bilbao / Santander). The ferry to France one way was £60, the Train was £61 return ( I don't use the return part), the ferry to Santander was £480 one way. Add in the extra cost of the Diesel to drive though France and I am saving £181by using the train. I know it's a bit of a nuisance to drive through France but if you are not in too much of a hurry it can be pleasant, the difference is about 600 miles (Calais to the Spanish border). Stay away from the toll roads, the first time I did it cost over £140 through France and it's not all that faster. It only takes a few hours longer depending on your speed of course ( I have done it before when I was in a hurry and actualy beat the ferry ). Having to go up to the top deck to check on the dog every couple of hours is a pain for both you and the dog especialy when the weather is bad, which is quite often in the Bay of Biscay. By the Way I have printed off some co-ordinates for you as promosed. Phil.

I will be using the Chunel this year, I shop around every year (this is the 19th year) for the best price and work out the difference including Ferry to France / Train and Ferry to Spain (Bilbao / Santander). The ferry to France one way was £60, the Train was £61 return ( I don't use the return part), the ferry to Santander was £480 one way. Add in the extra cost of the Diesel to drive though France and I am saving £181by using the train. I know it's a bit of a nuisance to drive through France but if you are not in too much of a hurry it can be pleasant, the difference is about 600 miles (Calais to the Spanish border). Stay away from the toll roads, the first time I did it cost over £140 through France and it's not all that faster. It only takes a few hours longer depending on your speed of course ( I have done it before when I was in a hurry and actualy beat the ferry ). Having to go up to the top deck to check on the dog every couple of hours is a pain for both you and the dog especialy when the weather is bad, which is quite often in the Bay of Biscay. By the Way I have printed off some co-ordinates for you as promosed. Phil.
Sorry , I may be picking you up wrong here , but any time I have checked tunnel against ferry prices the tunnel has always been at least 50% more ?

We did a 35 hour crossing by Ferry from Venice to Patras in Greece the van was on an open deck [ enclosed but with big cutouts so one could see the sea] hooked up to electric and living in the van for the duration of the voyage, great, folks with dogs could let them walk about this special deck picking up their pooh of course, the ships crew hosed the deck down every few hours so the dogs pee was not a problem, we also had the run of the ship using the swimming pool and bars and restaurants too, could also have a cabin if desired but why would you if you could live in your van?
So if the MINOAN ferry line for Greece can have this facility why cannot our channel ferries have similar facilities?

We did a 35 hour crossing by Ferry from Venice to Patras in Greece the van was on an open deck [ enclosed but with big cutouts so one could see the sea] hooked up to electric and living in the van for the duration of the voyage, great, folks with dogs could let them walk about this special deck picking up their pooh of course, the ships crew hosed the deck down every few hours so the dogs pee was not a problem, we also had the run of the ship using the swimming pool and bars and restaurants too, could also have a cabin if desired but why would you if you could live in your van?
So if the MINOAN ferry line for Greece can have this facility why cannot our channel ferries have similar facilities?

This would be something we would like to do in the future , when did you go and what was the cost ?

Wow that’s great !!! Did you go to Athens Port ?

In February we are going to Spain , we are weighing up the advantages also cost of driving through France or taking the ferry to Santander , baring in mind we have got a dog but we have also got all the time in the world . What do you normally do if you are doing this trip ? and why . Thanks regards Jeff & Lorraine
We always drive from Portsmouth to St Malo with our dog and she can stay in the car. The Santander ferry is far too long and rocky and dogs have to go in kennels. We’ve done this for 12 years

In February we are going to Spain , we are weighing up the advantages also cost of driving through France or taking the ferry to Santander , baring in mind we have got a dog but we have also got all the time in the world . What do you normally do if you are doing this trip ? and why . Thanks regards Jeff & Lorraine
Hi,just returned from Spain and drove from Malaga to Calais for the ferry to Dover, avoiding the toll roads .I agree with other comments about the roundabout's on the non toll roads and sometimes they do get on your nerves but if you have the time you can have a pleasant journey,on my return to the UK from Calais I always pay the £20 extra to have a flexible ticket just in case of any problems on the return journey ,it's all fit to personal choice at the end of the day ,let's all enjoy our trips in the motor home how ever we travel ,oh by the way I found a vet in Malaga who supplied the worming tablets for my two west Highland terriers and filled in their passports for 3.90 euro each ,not like the 80 euros I paid last time in Sabinillas near Gibraltar,have a great trip

Hi,just returned from Spain and drove from Malaga to Calais for the ferry to Dover, avoiding the toll roads .I agree with other comments about the roundabout's on the non toll roads and sometimes they do get on your nerves but if you have the time you can have a pleasant journey,on my return to the UK from Calais I always pay the £20 extra to have a flexible ticket just in case of any problems on the return journey ,it's all fit to personal choice at the end of the day ,let's all enjoy our trips in the motor home how ever we travel ,oh by the way I found a vet in Malaga who supplied the worming tablets for my two west Highland terriers and filled in their passports for 3.90 euro each ,not like the 80 euros I paid last time in Sabinillas near Gibraltar,have a great trip
When you paid the £20 extra was that the Ferry or the Tunnel. We are interested in the Tunnel

When you paid the £20 extra was that the Ferry or the Tunnel. We are interested in the Tunnel
Sorry I have just re-read it and you mention the Ferry

If you have seen the French scenery previously then the ferry would a good choice, if not the drive to Spain would be lovely.

Hello, I am looking at getting the ferry to Santander / Bilbao at the beginning of March , what is the best service to book with a dog cabin ?
Good luck getting a pet friendly cabin. The bookings for April have opened and the first cabins to go are the pet friendly ones.

oh by the way I found a vet in Malaga who supplied the worming tablets for my two west Highland terriers and filled in their passports for 3.90 euro each ,not like the 80 euros I paid last time in Sabinillas near Gibraltar,have a great trip

That's more like it. I found a vet in Pamplona that cost 5.50 so if anyone goes via there it's the place to use.

It's called:
Veterinary Hospital Pamplona

We were lucky on last visit to Portugal, in Feb, the local vet gave us the tablets and signed for four days before we had tunnel booking in May. She said she was happy that we would administer them on right day. Not sure legal but very useful and cost 2euros.

In days of olde, one could put ones motor vehicle on a railway carriage in
these fair isles (Londistan I think) and partake of the dining cars delights, the
bar in particular, whilst one was gently wafted through the French countryside
to a destination somewhere on the Riviera.
I'm not dreaming am I? Would be a great alternative to a bout of mal de fecking
mer on the Bay of Biscay.
Anyone remember the drive-on to an airplane service from sunny Sarthend to
France, would probably need jumbo jet sized planes for the M/homes these days.

We always do Dover to Calais because of the dog. It just seems better for her, as it’s a short crossing and she stays in the motorhome. We don’t mind the drive through France. We stay off the peages and use the free Aires.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back