UPDATE: London F*£!

St3v3

Louise's Vito is our normal transport for Tommy and his wheelchair. For ages we've had the disabled badge registered with them so that we don't have to pay congestion charge, so set off for another visit the other week and have been fined for entering the ULEZ. Twice, at £80 a time. Disabled do get exemptions, but only if the vehicle is registered with DVLA as a disability vehicle, something we didn't do as it's not always used for transporting him. Arseholes.

So, watch out if you're in the same position, I bet many disabled badge holders are going to get fined the same....

That’s crap Steve hope you’re gonna try and appeal. The worlds went coo coo all them big fat politicians and diplomats running around it v8s for free

I suppose there is no way of them knowing that you are disabled, they just check the number plate against DVLA. If the car is not taxed as disabled the they issue the ticket. Appealing is the way forward. Good luck!

Be aware also that some towns like Southend-on-Sea do not recognise BB not issued by their local council.

There have been a few things where it is the car registered rather than the blue badge, it’s always worth checking small print

I suppose there is no way of them knowing that you are disabled, they just check the number plate against DVLA. If the car is not taxed as disabled the they issue the ticket. Appealing is the way forward. Good luck!
Louise's Vito is our normal transport for Tommy and his wheelchair. For ages we've had the disabled badge registered with them so that we don't have to pay congestion charge, so set off for another visit the other week and have been fined for entering the ULEZ. Twice, at £80 a time. Disabled do get exemptions, but only if the vehicle is registered with DVLA as a disability vehicle, something we didn't do as it's not always used for transporting him. Arseholes.

So, watch out if you're in the same position, I bet many disabled badge holders are going to get fined the same....
Steve which vehicle do you have as road tax exempt if it’s your car then they should know we have our car and every time bill takes it through the toll on the M25 it doesn’t charge him he then has a stand up fight with dart charge explaining that he has to pay as he is not disabled. ?

I think TfL allow you one 'freebie' if you can show it was a genuine mistake, which I am sure you would be able to do, so it might be some small comfort if you do that?

Steve which vehicle do you have as road tax exempt

We haven't got any vehicle registered as very occasionally the Vito may be used for things not directly relating to Tommy, we're being too honest!

I may well do the lorry though, as that's only ever used with Tommy, it's not like I can take it into town when we're out on the p!55 lol.

I will do an appeal :)

We haven't got any vehicle registered as very occasionally the Vito may be used for things not directly relating to Tommy, we're being too honest!

I may well do the lorry though, as that's only ever used with Tommy, it's not like I can take it into town when we're out on the p!55 lol.

I will do an appeal :)
It doesn’t have to be exclusively used by the disabled person, just has to be the main vehicle. The blue badge can only be used when the disabled person is in the car but disabled registered vehicle can be used by parent/carer

Has to be isn’t right wording, should be is more like I think

It doesn’t have to be exclusively used by the disabled person, just has to be the main vehicle. The blue badge can only be used when the disabled person is in the car but disabled registered vehicle can be used by parent/carer

Yes Bill uses my car which is why he has to explain to Dart charge that he has to pay even though the car is registered he can only go free if I am with him .

For disabled tax, it's quite clear it should only be used for the disabled person.

Is the Southend on sea blue badge usage not the same as all over the Uk.? In N. Ireland there is a similar scenario, ie lots of places to park for free, including on yellow lines, but some pay to park locations have to be paid for by blue badge holders, although there will be specific bays nearest to amenities or exit provided.?

Asking for information, as I only very rarely have to drive my mother in law who is a badge holder.

Davy

For disabled tax, it's quite clear it should only be used for the disabled person.
I have a Motability car and they raised this a few years ago. They recognise it’s not practical for most family’s to have another car. The example they used was a partner/parent using the car for shopping and it was declared it is okay.

Motability cars are registered as disabled vehicles so road tax exempt. Contact them to double check but I haven’t been informed of any changes to the above

I have a Motability car and they raised this a few years ago. They recognise it’s not practical for most family’s to have another car. The example they used was a partner/parent using the car for shopping and it was declared it is okay.

I don't suppose that's something they sent you in writing is it?

I don't suppose that's something they sent you in writing is it?
"We’ll ask you to make sure:
  • The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit"

Cheers Dave, bet I would have taken ages to find it

Good Stuff :) While these zones are a right pain in the butt, TFL do tend to be quite accepting of people being caught out unawares.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back