Uploading Photos

Uploading Photos

In earlier posts I've been able to upload photos without modification. In the last couple of days the site has advised me that the maximum uplad size is about 870Kb - which is by modern standards a fairly low definition image. The camera on my phone usually operates at an image size of about 16Mb but can be set to 8Mb minimum. The resulting jpeg files are therefore about 5Mb or about 2Mb depending on image.
Has something changed on the site or must I find a way of reducing definition further? If I must reduce the file size can anybody recommend a suitable software package?

Colin ???

I've had the same thing from the beginning some photos load some don't and all taken on my iPhone I don't get it either.

Full Member;n4421 said:
In earlier posts I've been able to upload photos without modification. In the last couple of days the site has advised me that the maximum uplad size is about 870Kb - which is by modern standards a fairly low definition image. The camera on my phone usually operates at an image size of about 16Mb but can be set to 8Mb minimum. The resulting jpeg files are therefore about 5Mb or about 2Mb depending on image.
Has something changed on the site or must I find a way of reducing definition further? If I must reduce the file size can anybody recommend a suitable software package?

Colin ???

That should be sorted now I have increased the max file size to just over 8mb.

It's all about how the image is processed after being taken, Annie.
The photo image starts as a 'matrix' of coloured dots called pixels. If the image is say 1500 pixels wide by 1000 pixels high then the total number of pixels in the image will be 1500x1000=1500000 or 15 million pixels, That's quite a lot of information for your camera to store, especially as each pixel has to be recorded in terms of it's colour and brightness etc.
Before the image is stored the image information is processed to reduce it's size by a piece of in-built software called an algorithm. Many types of algorithms have been developed to do this work but currently the most popular is the 'jpeg' algorithm.
The algorithm scans the original image and should there be little or no difference between several pixels it notes this fact and simply stores something like "put 5000 pale blue pixels in the top right hand corner of Colin's Canary Island photo". This is also done for say the beige rock on the volcano side. This sort of thing is very rapidly done for the whole picture so that the image size as stored is much reduced.
When the camera 'reads' the file information it effectively does all this in reverse and - hey presto! - the original image is very closely reproduce for all to wonder at.

Now the effect of this on uploading to the site. You (and the vast majority of us) will leave the camera settings as they are even if they are adjustable. You might imagine then that all images would be the same file size and so if one photo uploads then they all should. If we consider how those files were created their size will depend not only on the camera setting but also on just how much duplication of pixel type there is in the image. The more duplication, the smaller the file size. Hence some of our images are above the limit set by Phil or the server owner and some are below the limit (currently about 890Kb).

I hope all this makes sense and is based on my rather limited knowledge in this area.
Incidentally similar things are done with music where the original music is 'sampled' and the file size reduced. The software most commonly used here is the 'mp3' algorithm - which would have been used on the music you listen to.

One way forward is for Phil to increase the acceptable upload file size or include some software that reduces the size of the file just before or after it is uploaded, though there may well be better ways.

As always, I'd appreciate input from the experts!

Colin ???

You beat.me to.it! Thanks Phil - much appreciated.

Colin ???

Admin;n4447 said:
That should be sorted now I have increased the max file size to just over 8mb.

I've just tried again, Phil, and the limit is stated as 878.9Kb.
I'll try again this evening lest the server hasn't registered your upgrade just yet.

Colin ???

Full Member;n4462 said:
It's all about how the image is processed after being taken, Annie.
The photo image starts as a 'matrix' of coloured dots called pixels. If the image is say 1500 pixels wide by 1000 pixels high then the total number of pixels in the image will be 1500x1000=1500000 or 15 million pixels, That's quite a lot of information for your camera to store, especially as each pixel has to be recorded in terms of it's colour and brightness etc.
Before the image is stored the image information is processed to reduce it's size by a piece of in-built software called an algorithm. Many types of algorithms have been developed to do this work but currently the most popular is the 'jpeg' algorithm.
The algorithm scans the original image and should there be little or no difference between several pixels it notes this fact and simply stores something like "put 5000 pale blue pixels in the top right hand corner of Colin's Canary Island photo". This is also done for say the beige rock on the volcano side. This sort of thing is very rapidly done for the whole picture so that the image size as stored is much reduced.
When the camera 'reads' the file information it effectively does all this in reverse and - hey presto! - the original image is very closely reproduce for all to wonder at.

Now the effect of this on uploading to the site. You (and the vast majority of us) will leave the camera settings as they are even if they are adjustable. You might imagine then that all images would be the same file size and so if one photo uploads then they all should. If we consider how those files were created their size will depend not only on the camera setting but also on just how much duplication of pixel type there is in the image. The more duplication, the smaller the file size. Hence some of our images are above the limit set by Phil or the server owner and some are below the limit (currently about 890Kb).

I hope all this makes sense and is based on my rather limited knowledge in this area.
Incidentally similar things are done with music where the original music is 'sampled' and the file size reduced. The software most commonly used here is the 'mp3' algorithm - which would have been used on the music you listen to.

One way forward is for Phil to increase the acceptable upload file size or include some software that reduces the size of the file just before or after it is uploaded, though there may well be better ways.

As always, I'd appreciate input from the experts!

Colin ???

Well that's cleared that up your so clever Colin. ?

Now I have just tried to load one of the photos I was having trouble with, it didn't show the message but it didn't upload the photo either.

Campervanannie;n4485 said:
Well that's cleared that up your so clever Colin. ?

I suspect not. Someone actually knowledgeable will no doubt be along presently and highlight the errors!

Colin ???

Campervanannie;n4486 said:
Now I have just tried to load one of the photos I was having trouble with, it didn't show the message but it didn't upload the photo either.

Me too. As you will have seen, Phil has addressed the problem so the solution is in sight but it could be that the server hasn't registered the upgrade just yet. Phil is aware and I suggest we try again this evening. I'll post here on any developments as I see them.

Colin ???

I just tried to upload a 6.14 Mb photo and it still gave the message of the 870kb limit.

Can I ask if you are using the attachment icon (paperclip on paper) on the right, or you are using the user album feature (camera icon)?

Admin;n4496 said:
Can I ask if you are using the attachment icon (paperclip on paper) on the right, or you are using the user album feature (camera icon)?

I tried both.

Admin;n4496 said:

I'm using the paper clip on paper, the third icon from the right.

Colin ???

Hi Phil. I've just tried uploading a photo and the server now states the the picture limit is 1440x900 pixels. The photo I tried to upload was more like 5000x3000 pixels but had a jpeg file size of only 4.6Mb after compression. Is there an option to define pixel size rather than file size? If so I'd suggest more like 6000x4000 to make things more future proof. Most users will be more like 1-5Mb once the images are compressed so the demand on the server is unlikely to change much.

Colin ???

The message I'm currently getting is:-

WP_20171120_13_30_41_Pro.jpg
The dimension limits for this filetype are 1440 x 900. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 3008 x 5344.
Unable to resize image. Your image of 3008 x 5344 exceeds the width and height resize limits of 4608 x 3456

Colin ???

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back