US vs UK attitudes on electrics

wildebus

Thought I would post this message whilst bored to death waiting at the car dealers for them to do the MOT Retest ....

I watch a few US YouTube RVers and they do some interesting things in the US, but one thing that still surprises me is there attitude to electrics and how much they just expect to consume as a matter of course.

Examples ...
Watched one channel where the guy is talking through the battery and solar installation he has just added. So he is describing himself as needing more than an "overnighter" in terms of off grid use, but he is not a boondocker off grid for months or even weeks.
So to cope with a week away from hookup he has installed 1300W of solar and 800Ah of Lithium! And fitted a pair of Victron 12/3000 multipluses to go with them.

Watched another channel where the couple are trying out an pre-prod camper. They enthused about the Xantrex (a popular US brand) Inverter and how it only has an overhead of 27W when not under a load and how that is nothing and they would probably just leave it on all the time.
Now doing the maths, 27W overhead actually adds up to over 50Ah over a 24hr period - that is a LOT of energy loss to just dismiss! In comparision, something like a Victron Inverter in AES mode has an overhead of under 3W. And even when just left on without the energy saving it is less than half the Xantrex.

They all seem love their generators and few would go out without one.
TVs seem to be all AC, so inverters needed to watch TV (little concept of 12V DC TVs or even USB chargers connected to the battery rather than via an inverter).

I get the feeling that it is similar to the vehicles - where the vans get 12MP(US)G if carefully driven - and power saving just seems a strange concept?

Same wae all thing American they want everything bigger and they want it now so they are willing to forgo a bit on the side of size and quality. Although they do make some decent stuff but it’s always a third bigger. Ive always liked the bigger Ford pick ups but won’t have one on because of the fuel thing.

Did you not hear about the american lottery? It's about who can destroy the earth first. The losers have to pay the price.

They usually build the rv’S with an onboard generator built in, they don’t have problems running them. Amazing how they seem to look at 7.5kw generators as normal. When you see the RV’s with multiple ac’s in the roof and plumbed in washer/dryers and dishwashers though I guess they need it. I would go for that onboard 3.5kw genny Hyundai do if I could afford it. They are quieter than running the van engines

Did you not hear about the american lottery? It's about who can destroy the earth first. The losers have to pay the price.
I disagree, they may be a lot worse than us on vehicles but are way more advanced in building with water and power saving/generation. A lot of city’s require green roofs on buildings now and have done for years. The overall picture makes them much better.
In the U.K. we do a lot of lip service, that green home initiative has just been cancelled as one example. Banning diesel vehicles is just easy option to governments, it costs them nothing.
Amy way, enough of that, I want a big block Chevy with twin super chargers 😂😂😂😂

It’s all about convenience. We had a Winnebago a few years ago. Everything was bigger and heavier than you would expect in a leisure vehicle. We had a double sink with marble worktops, 350 litre water tank, 6.5kw generator ( with automatic start if more power was needed or the air con was switched on!) 80 litre lpg tank ( that fuelled the heating and generator) Automatic hydraulic self levelling system ( that needed the generator to operate properly) A massive full size fridge freezer and a domestic type cooker, 2 x 22” TVs and a 26” TV in the bedroom. It was a full 6 berth with ample seating for 10.
Brilliant to live in but too big ( and expensive ) to drive most places.

It’s all about convenience. We had a Winnebago a few years ago. Everything was bigger and heavier than you would expect in a leisure vehicle. We had a double sink with marble worktops, 350 litre water tank, 6.5kw generator ( with automatic start if more power was needed or the air con was switched on!) 80 litre lpg tank ( that fuelled the heating and generator) Automatic hydraulic self levelling system ( that needed the generator to operate properly) A massive full size fridge freezer and a domestic type cooker, 2 x 22” TVs and a 26” TV in the bedroom. It was a full 6 berth with ample seating for 10.
Brilliant to live in but too big ( and expensive ) to drive most places.
what kind of weight was it? I've seen these reviews of post American RVs and the marble tiling on counters and floors looked lovely but the weight!!

Last edited:
what kind of weight was it? I've seen these reviews of post American RVs and the marble tiling on counters and floors looked lovely but the weight!!
You can get some that come under the 7.5t limit but the big ones need full HGV

You can get some that come under the 7.5t limit but the big ones need full HGV
In most US states you don't need a special licence (or is it license ;)) to drive an RV under 26.000 pounds, which according to Google is nearly 12 tonnes :eek:

Regards,
Del

Yes sorry Del, I was thinking more of having one in the U.K. 👍

If I were in the US and getting an RV, I am not sure what I would get, but it would likely be some big old thing like a Class A, oversized Class C or a 5th Wheel.
Why have something cramped when you have big roads to go on and no significant weight limits to worry about?

I love the protecting cone. 🤣

Over here, that front bumper unit would be ripped off on the first pot-hole. The States must have improved their road surfaces hugely since I was last there.

Reactions: 2cv
American excesses ?👍
On the fuel thing. Some of the mileages needed to get anywhere, some form of comfort is needed, a lot more weight, hence bigger engines. A trip from London to Glasgow, wouldn't get you out of state in a lot of cases. :)
Luxury 1. If you can afford it, why not? It's how they live at home, so why not on vacation. The picture above, getting out of a class A, to book into a hotel, does seem excessive :)
Luxury 2. Many can't. I'll remind you of one of my favourite youtube channels. CheapRVliving. ( Welcome to my next video). The States are unforgiving to anyone down on their luck. Many are forced to live in vehicles. Fortunately, wild camping isn't usually a problem.

Yes and a lot of those rv living folks are very rough and ready builds, focus on getting people a roof of some kind over their heads rather than living rough 👍

I had a 12ton diesel pusher 12mtr It averaged 15mpg at 100k cruise which when you look at how much weight the avg euro moho is moving for 25mpg it was pretty efficient . Yes it was a bit trickier in tight spots , but when you are parked up it had all home comforts and then some :) I only sold as it was purely suitable for tarmac travel .

HAD MINE FOR 7YRS DOLPHIN 434 7.5TON 9TON WHEN WE WHEN OUT LOADED 10 SEAT BELTS ALL THE FAMILY 3 DOUBLES TWO FRONT SEATS LAY FLAT FOR THE CHILDREN LUXURY TRAVEL NOT THE PIGEON HOLE I HAVE NOW MISS THAT RV

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back