USA & Canada but really Canada/USA

A lot more positive now
From the BBC
If there is a widespread transmission - which seems highly likely at this stage - it could take two or three months to peak. The peak would last two or three weeks and around 50% of people who become infected could become infected in those peak weeks.
From our perspective..This will allow our trip to go ahead (yes selfish I know).
I thought earlier there might be a quick surge/spike of infections in the next 2 or 3 weeks
Could still happen !

Geeky Phil's original post may well be very true !
Let us hope not and that things do not "Go Viral"..to use a totally inappropriate phrase.

If people take care (ie Campervanannie) transmission rates could stay low.
As they used to say on "Hill Street Blues"... TAKE CARE OUT THERE !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2cv
All would seem OK
---------------------------------------------------------------
A few long distance & long time calls to Government Agencies in Canada last night !
It seems all will be well and even if UK gets worse (well it will !) .
We will not be refused entry but may be "self-isolated".
Thus entry to Canada and collection of the Motorhome will be OK
So for now..All systems GO 1
Just Best wishes to all to avoid Covid-19 , and also "Normal 'flu"
And hoping disruption is not too bad !

Now Italys shut down long road trip to Greece or getting home

Double Ugh !
but maybe OK if flights are indeed cancelled
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51845861
  1. UK getting worse
  2. Flights to USA (from Europe) cancelled
  3. May well extend to UK within a week
  4. Will Canada follow USA ? Very likely
  5. Self-isolation on arrival in Canada likey
  6. USA border crossing not available ?
Too RISKY ! and indeed not enjoyable

It is 2 weeks before the motorhome is due to Ship
Given the developments in USA and UK..
I am fully expecting AirCanada or the Canadian Government to do similar
Certainly by the time we are due to Fly (5th April).

It is very likely we will not risk shipping The Vehicle for it to become stranded in Canada.
So decision day is 25th March !!!
  • probably losing £5600 ,
  • maybe having issues with getting it returned to UK
  • Hassle and nowhere to Sleep for certainly 3 weeks maybe more
I anticipate getting refunds/travel insurance for Flights and Hotel
A 2/3 refund on Canada road insurance and thus a claim for the 1/3

Last edited:
Would you be able to travel on the boat? Met someone, once, who travelled all over the world as a passenger on cargo ships. It is not a luxury experience but he loved it.

More costly and not for us...We even use the tunnel for Calais !
Probably full anyway !

Not surprise just a matter of time !

From our point of view (selfish I know) this is good news as we should either get refunds or a viable insurance claim !.
USA nogo as well which would spoil the return to Halifax leg(s) !
Seabridge only take funds once vehicle is on-board no fuss or cost to cancel.

There is always next year !

All cancelled still waiting major refund but all concerned both busy and short-staffed.
Have put a "stash" of £9,000 aside for whenever (2022 ?)
2 x £3000 for Seabridge
£2000 for Flights and Hotel
£1000 for Road insurance and incidentals.

Here's hoping BUT more important thing to hope for both personally and nationwide/worldwide !

It's our loose plan to use Seabridge in 2021 or 2022 for Canada. Was going to use you as our pathfinder 😉

I can share some well researched ideas.
We are planning for 2022 as we think 2021 may have many issues

MoJo Snippet no 1
Timing of trip..
Because of our Thailand (habits) my plan was to fly to Canada at the start of April and return at the end of Sept.

April is too soon it is still too cold in much of Canada.
Due to the "Great White North" and /or "temperature lag"
So I will replan for the beginning of May. and returning end of Oct ( Still OK even in Halifax)
Canadian 6 month ETA visa very easy and online and cheap !
As you post...more in due course

Dates.
My now defunct plan for 2020 has been revised for whenever
1 Fly to Halifax later in April ( after 21st)
It is too cold in early April and many things not open
This will mean a return in mid/late October. The temperatures in Vermont Maine are still OK and indeed we will have better colours in Vermont.

2 Flying
Air Canada annoyed me by re-arranging their schedules so for the outward flight we had to fly to Montreal and then back to Halifax
Despite original flights that were direct.
Air Canada good in that LHR suits us

Recent investigations suggest WestJet may well fly direct (both ways) but from Gatwick.
Gatwick not as convenient as LHR but easy to get to either from LHR or Reading Coach or Train OR Taxi from Maidenhead !
Westjet also seem cheaper but they have The 737Max currently grounded on safety grounds

Bill @2cv I appreciate airline schedules are completely up in the air at the moment
Quarantine restrictions will need to be lifted as well.
Not planning anything just thinking aloud.
It may well be 2022 will be best
so 2021 a big tour either France and Spain but more likely Sweden & Norway via the 2 Bridges

BUT NOBODY KNOWS

Ps bad puns intended

I’d say that you’re wise leaving it till 2022. The virus is still about and may well spike this winter causing travel cancellations, better not to have committed to expensive bookings. We may well not take our trips to the USA this year, first time in over thirty years. No great pleasure in trying to socially distance at an airport as we discovered when curtailing our last trip just before lockdown.

Thanks Bill yes 2022 likely to be more reliable..

Oh dear have to put up with Norway in 2021 !...But maybe not Sweden !
Or as I posted France & Spain/Portugal

Patience for now !

I’d say that you’re wise leaving it till 2022. The virus is still about and may well spike this winter causing travel cancellations, better not to have committed to expensive bookings. We may well not take our trips to the USA this year, first time in over thirty years. No great pleasure in trying to socially distance at an airport as we discovered when curtailing our last trip just before lockdown.
Looking at how the virus is still increasing in the USA and how the administration on a Federal level and in many states (including Arizona) is effectively just giving up on any kind of containment plan, anyone going there this year would be insane!

I read that there is a mandatory quarantine for visitors from the UK in place. I reckon that will protect the visitors more than the natives and just means delaying them catching it from an American for a couple of weeks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back