Using an external battery charger

Currently (ha ha) considering the very cheap 2stroke from Machine mart and Clarke.
Just as emergency cover.... (most of the other options have disadvantages especially if boondocking). Just over £120 inc vat think of it as insurance !
Not definite...would only want it for 2020...but it it is ok who knows.
Upgrading the battery would cost more.
All other solutions cost and are limited !
Anyone used one ?

You would need to check it’s EPA compliant and if using in a National Park that it is approved, with a “quiet” exhaust and spark protector.
If it’s just for emergency use it may be easier and cheaper to simply run the van engine if necessary.

Yes...not convinced...A really cheap and cheerful item but designed for camping.
I will check the details. The restrictions you alert are not too significant but I will investigate further as you suggest.

The noise level/frequency and fiddling about mixing 2 stroke are all negatives , also its quite big for a very small output . I would still go for a s/h Honda eu1.0 .

Honda too pricey...Given our movements etc re-selling would be difficult and so not a good sale
How about this
Would look to sell it at half-price after 6 months of low usage
ENGINE OIL (EVERY 20 HOURS OF USE)
AIR FILTER (EVERY 50 HOURS OF USE)
SPARK PLUG (EVERY 50 HOURS OF USE)
FUEL TANK (EVERY 100 HOURS OF USE OR EVERY 6 MONTHS) Probably not needed for 1 summer
£215 so resell for £99 as you post no fiddling about
Any thoughts pleas

I couldn’t justify the cost of a Honda when I could get the Hyundai for around £300. It is a four stroke suitcase job and the 14kg dry weight was a plus for me lifting it around. Been really pleased with it and it had a single complaint or funny look. Currently charging someone’s laptop while topping up battery’s. Only comments are folks saying they need to get one themselves lol.

I couldn’t justify the cost of a Honda when I could get the Hyundai for around £300. It is a four stroke suitcase job and the 14kg dry weight was a plus for me lifting it around. Been really pleased with it and it had a single complaint or funny look. Currently charging someone’s laptop while topping up battery’s. Only comments are folks saying they need to get one themselves lol.
Yes..Even a Kipor (which I have considered) is to pricey for 1 trip.
WE ONLY use MoHo in summer (well April to September) and we are quite happy to pay for EHU in April/September.
BUt if it is cold in Canada in April and September EHU is a problem
1 We want to Boondock
2 I am not convinced by the transformers.. Yes the convert voltage but Cycles per sec is different and CALIRA say it might damage my power unit.
3 So having spent £1800 for flights and Hotel and NEEDING to spend likely £700 for insurance £3000x 2 for Seabridge It is foolish even stupid to compromise the trip by being too cold and maybe damaging our battery
4 Most camps re not open in April

I would rather not have a generator but as an earlier post by you ..it is the only effective guaranteed solution

I thought it might be a nice little business for you Trev get rid of old the old junk. 🤪

Alf

I could build one at home with strimmer engine and skoda alt running a belt drive,just someting else to do now,its all alfs fault giving me ideas. o_O

if wanting to Boondock one of these would be a far better buy than a genie possibly a better resale value in Canada

Alf

Too expensive for 1 Season's use..But thanks..I have seen them before but we do not need such fast charging
A simple Genny seems favourite

Mmmn That is a thought !
One of my probable camp-spots near Halifax (both in and out) assists those such as me
will re-consider..As ever size matters !

Did you check with Mojo what they did?

Reading the detail it seems you MUST switch off the motorhome main power switch whilst charging the battery.
Ok this will only be for a short time but is that correct ?

The way I read the instructions is you turn the switch OFF on the power charger control box when running turn it ON there is no mention of turning anything off in the van.

Alf

Reading the detail it seems you MUST switch off the motorhome main power switch whilst charging the battery.
Ok this will only be for a short time but is that correct ?

The way I read the instructions is you turn the switch OFF on the power charger control box when running turn it ON there is no mention of turning anything off in the van.

Alf
Maybe I have re-read and I think you are correct...I have emailed the company.
How long is a piece of sting ? but seriously I have a Banner Running Bull Battery 12V 92Ah
Which shows 13.4 V plus in the day and maybe goes to 12.7 in the evening..any idea how long it would take to go back to over 13 V ?

I just wonder if extra charging is really necessary. You plan to tour a long distance so probably won’t be stood for more than a few days between charging by running. If you do get low just running the engine will top up anyway. It seems a lot of trouble to go to for something which is probably not necessary.
At least you’re not going to Texas where they’d just shoot a genny if it annoyed them 😀

Again Thanks Bill,
Maybe I am being overcautious
The supercharger web-site suggests that 12.06 (ie 12v) is 50 % capacity
We have never (never ever never) been below 12.6 which they suggest is 100%
Si I take their values with a bushel of salt
HOWEVER as you post we will move quite often ( for many reasons not least distances involved ) So the only inconvenience maybe isf we would want to stay 3 days when there is limited sum and it is very cold..

AS you have posted before ... almost certainly no need.
For many reasons I am not happy with any of the possibilities.
If we had more room a 2 x battery solution would be good but
A no room
B it seems you need a pair of batteries
C No room for a bigger battery (size and capacity

ALSO mainly we manage perfeectl;y well as we are.

I thank you for you many helpful replies to all my various question regarding this trip
A) this thread
B) distances that are manageable
C) Other

We are really looking forward to it and now without needing to fuss about power..ALL is in PLACE
Regard Phil & Nida

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back