Using an external battery charger

jagmanx

Hello
We will be in Canada and USA in the summer.
EHU is no go
So wondering if I can use a small 12V battery charger to maintain the battery in the evening when the gas heating is being used.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...-8ab-16f4b7ae0aeaae&athancid=null&athena=true
My thoughts are to use this when 110V EHU is available
To attach it direct to the LB with the main Electrical switch is on.
The fridge would remain on Gas

I am slightly concerned that this may not work or indeed cause a conflict
I have a solar panel which feeds the LB directly.
The power is not great but even just 3 amps will take the presuure off the LB when the Gas (TRUMA) heating is blowing.
2nd question
How many amps will the blower use when it is active (which is often only for 10 mins or so

Thanks

Was it Mojo that did the states this year and posted their adventures, may have been on WC not sure. Could be worthmessaging him and asking what they did as they took their Hymer over

Thanks Trev...
I do not like the idea of a transformer as the cycles per sec are different in Canada USA and it may affect the onboard controller charger !
The item charger d.png is available in Canada At Walmart and is cheap at 23 C$ so £13:50.
We will hardly use it so I will buy in Canada in the 2 days we have before we collect MoHo as it then will be plugged ready and 110v

I think I would be getting a small genny if I was you. You can top up as and when needed then sell it again after your trip if you don’t want to keep it. A lot of those Yanky rv jobs have genny that could run my house lol

It is a thought but Can you get a 220V genny in Canada ?
Also I do not really need one extra cost and hassle and nowhere to sore in our Vehicle !

I would buy in UK but if you have nowhere to keep one it’s not an option. From what I remember of mojos thread sites were expensive in a lot off places and boon docking was what a lot do

Yes Boondocking is the plan.
We are only a bit concerned about early april and late september.
Our 120Watt Panel and single 90AH leisure battery are more than enough the rest of the time.
Looking at other options as well such as a 120Amp-hour Lead Carbon battery ours is now 5 years old but has been well looked after

Truma quote the 12v power consumption as 1.2 to 5.6ah. Mine normally indicates a little over 1 when running. Even using a very conservative 3 this means that if running 10 mins per hour for 12 hours only 6 ah would be used per day. If you move most days battery capacity should not be compromised by running the heater so a charger is not necessary.

Thanks for that Bill That convinces me that We will be fine. We do not move every day but would if necessary
The Solar panel mainly has the battery "full again" by midday. We do not leave the heating on overnight !
My other plan is an extension leave and a small fan heater..Both bought in Canada

Reactions: 2cv
Something to bear in mind is that a lot of the cheap mains chargers can be very noisy due to a poor quality fan always running. Something to bear in mind?
Also, unless you are going to very remote areas it might be worth just playing things by ear and see how you get on and if you do find you need a charger, you could almost certainly get one the next day from a shop or via Amazon.

Thanks to all for the various suggestions.
We will see what happens.
Transformer no go AND in April as Most sites are closed so Battery charger nogo as well.
(Both have their dangers as well IMHO)
Will wait on the reserve power supply as has been said can get one over there !
If Boondocking and no neighbours could run the engine a bit
As Corporal Jones would say..Don'T Panic
As posted earlier we live very comfortably on Solar and 1 LB
Genny nogo x3 leaving
  • Upgrade to Battery maybe
  • Reserve Power source Maybe

Honda EU 20i gives the most flexibility and simplest solution and when returned about the easiest sale going . JMHO

I have little spare space in my van. However I found an otherwise unused small space to put in a small gel golf cart battery as a back up. It is about 40ah and is completely separate, charging when on a hook up. I've had it 2 years now and have only needed it a couple of times when stood for several days in mid winter, but nice to have as a standby.
As you said, ultimately you have a charger by running the engine.

I have little spare space in my van. However I found an otherwise unused small space to put in a small gel golf cart battery as a back up. It is about 40ah and is completely separate, charging when on a hook up. I've had it 2 years now and have only needed it a couple of times when stood for several days in mid winter, but nice to have as a standby.
As you said, ultimately you have a charger by running the engine.
That kind of thing is handy for people who need equipment like a CPAP machine and similar.
I am thinking of making a little DIY LiFePO4 Lithium Pack of a similar capacity as a bit of fun, with cells and a BMS from AliExpress :)

Currently (ha ha) considering the very cheap 2stroke from Machine mart and Clarke.
Just as emergency cover.... (most of the other options have disadvantages especially if boondocking). Just over £120 inc vat think of it as insurance !
Not definite...would only want it for 2020...but it it is ok who knows.
Upgrading the battery would cost more.
All other solutions cost and are limited !
Anyone used one ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back