Using Hosepipes

There can be many concerns when drinking water from the tank. Just a few are;

Has the hose used been food grade. If not have potentially toxic chemicals contaminated the water.
Has the water come from a safe and tested supply.
Has the tap been compromised by a previous user.
Has the tank and its pipework been cleaned regularly.
Has the hose used been thoroughly rinsed since last use, especially if in warmth or if not used regularly.
Does the drinker have any health issue which can make them susceptible to changes in water quality.
How long has the water stood in the tank.
Does the tank have any corrosion or if plastic is it food grade.
Is the tank sealed to outside contamination.

interesting. You list nine points here but you have complete control over seven of them. The only two outside your control are the ones relating to the safe and tested supply and the compromised tap.

Tap water throughout Western Europe is safe to drink. We are currently on a 12 month trip which, so far, has taken in 15 countries, and we have filled from taps throughout. we drink from the tank and have no problem. If you are worried about the tap, a quick wipe with an antiseptic wipe solves that.

interesting. You list nine points here but you have complete control over seven of them. The only two outside your control are the ones relating to the safe and tested supply and the compromised tap.

Tap water throughout Western Europe is safe to drink. We are currently on a 12 month trip which, so far, has taken in 15 countries, and we have filled from taps throughout. we drink from the tank and have no problem. If you are worried about the tap, a quick wipe with an antiseptic wipe solves that.

I‘m glad that you can use water in this way. Unfortunately due to past toxic poisoning I find that changing drinking water has an adverse effect, so drink bottled water when away. At home I am fine with filtered tap water.
Like everything to do with the use of a motorhome, it’s down to what works best for the individual.

I‘m glad that you can use water in this way. Unfortunately due to past toxic poisoning I find that changing drinking water has an adverse effect, so drink bottled water when away. At home I am fine with filtered tap water.
Like everything to do with the use of a motorhome, it’s down to what works best for the individual.
Chicken and egg. Your body has maybe lost the ability to cope with different waters because you have been over-protective.

Last edited:
Many years ago after making an Eskimo roll whilst canoeing, I remember thinking that the water smelled like sheep poo. Looking at the bank I realised why. ☹

My favourite drinking water is fresh from mountain streams.... cool and clear, especially on a hot day.

In the van, from anywhere I can get it via a watering can.

Chicken and egg. Your body has maybe lost the ability to cope with different waters because you have been over-portective.

It’s only my opinion, but I think that being over portective (sic) is not likely to be the reason for my sensitivity to drinking different waters.
Having grown up in Africa, lived in Asia and regularly visited most continents I found for over 50 years a very good tolerance of different drinking water. My problems with it now stem from being slowly poisoned by the contents of superheated aircraft engine oil, I am fairly certain having had extensive toxic and DNA testing.

P C B is the problem,its also in plastic bags you buy food in.
PCB is not a problem for the vast majority. It has been proven harmless numerous times by real scientists. You would have to eat the stuff by the ton to have any effect.

PCB is not a problem for the vast majority. It has been proven harmless numerous times by real scientists. You would have to eat the stuff by the ton to have any effect.
Almost. It has been proved very harmful indeed, but generally it's very hard to ingest in dangerous quantities.

I went to a doctor in Shropshire as a visitor, they thought I was a gypsy ( long story ) so in with the blood tests ect was a pooh test because I drank water from the onboard tank, result absolutely fine and I have been drinking water🚰 in this way for six odd years even in Europe ...

Having read through this interesting topic and branched off into articles referred to it would seem that the best thing is to flush the garden hose....maybe whilst washing the beloved MH. Even the experts say that a flushed hose and subsequent moving water in it whilst filling a container aka MH tank...would absorb little from a hose in the way of toxins. An annual clean of MH tank is sensible. The only other thing I would like to chip in is we use a simple filter jug (Brita) topped up from MH tank. This seems to improve the palatability of water. Those with sensitivities stated have my sympathy and their advice and concerns are appreciated

Reactions: 2cv

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back