WANTED: super-cheap iPhone!

wildebus

I am after an iPhone to allow me to run a specific configuration App.

The phone does not need to be anything fancy or look decent; it can have a cracked case, a cracked screen (long as you can still use it), or a knacked battery (long as it will run when plugged into a USB charger).
It doesn't even have to be able to connect to a mobile network, as long as it has working Bluetooth and working Wi-Fi.

If anyone has an old iPhone that has been chucked in the drawer after been dropped, or replaced with a shiny new one, and fancy donating it for a pittance (don't want to spend much as will only be using it for maybe 20 minutes a month!) please let me know.

The phone needs to have a minimum version of iOS to be suitable however, so I think either from, or updated to a version of iOS in the last 6 years (maybe? I will try and check), it would be good.

Cheers!

David I’ve got a few old iPhones knocking about you can have one got a drawer full of old phones. I’ll drop it off at Tommys for you if that’s any good.

That is very good of you, thanks (y)

They are worth a bit of money if still reasonable looking so don't give me one that you could realistically sell on :D

Wully - you seem to know a lot of phone stuff. I have some NHS hearing aids made by Oticon and they have a bluetooth facility. Allegedly they can be connected to a mobile phone, and I have successfully downloaded the App for this. However, my phone does not support the App - although why it should downloand the app and not be able to operate it is a bit of a mystery. Would you happen to know which (cheapaspossible) phone would work the app: I have emailed Oticon and got no reply.
Andrew

Wully - you seem to know a lot of phone stuff. I have some NHS hearing aids made by Oticon and they have a bluetooth facility. Allegedly they can be connected to a mobile phone, and I have successfully downloaded the App for this. However, my phone does not support the App - although why it should downloand the app and not be able to operate it is a bit of a mystery. Would you happen to know which (cheapaspossible) phone would work the app: I have emailed Oticon and got no reply.
Andrew
If your phone is an Android phone, there is so much variation in the builds and versions, that could be a significant reason.
Iphones have much more standardisation given only manufacturer.

I do have an iPhone SE but it's old and locked to Tesco. I don't use it. A new one is £429, and I found it too small to press the letter buttons so I got a larger Motorola one which of course is Android. The other Apple phones are Trumpesque in their expensiveness. I've just looked at the stats of my current phone. Model is Moto G power lite, Android version 10 and I have no idea why it says Software Channel Tescogb - other than I bought it from Tesco. It is of course unlocked but do you think that means it will work better on Tesco rather than 3?

Tesco use O2 as there carrier so any O2 sim should work. Since I posted that photo someone else contacted me and took the big white one in the middle the first small one is a really old phone and probably only fit for the bin.The two bigger ones I’ll keep for travelling abroad and David wildebus has taken the other small one.

Compare apples to apples. For android equivalent of the iPhone 15 pro max you need to look at the top Samsung S24.
You will see prices are very similar, that is the market the two companies are working in.

Yes you can get a phone for a fraction of the price and if it does everything you want you are on a winner. Loads of things I won’t buy as I don’t think the cost is worth it, good job we all think differently huh 😂😂😂

I have two Samsungs now, S9+edge and the S10+edge, my local shop says don't bother upgrading for a while as the improvements are only slight and they are two expensive, I should really boot up the S10 and use it but the S9 does all I need for now, I could sell it but they're not fetching much.

I have two Samsungs now, S9+edge and the S10+edge, my local shop says don't bother upgrading for a while as the improvements are only slight and they are two expensive, I should really boot up the S10 and use it but the S9 does all I need for now, I could sell it but they're not fetching much.
I honestly don't get the point - if getting an Android phone - of buying a high priced brand name. I can't see anything they will do that the cheaper ones can't, unless you really need/want things like folding screens and a screen that curves over the side (pretty but worth the extra?).

I changed my phone back in November 2022 (so not that long ago - unless you are a teenager in which case you would have needed 3 upgrades since then) and bought a Cubot Max 3 from Amazon
For a phone that cost under £120 the specs are incredible I reckon .... see here https://amzn.to/3S5zFAK
And if you scroll down you see a few suggested options with similar specs for similar money or less (this one here looks very good VFM? https://amzn.to/428fN4z)

I went for the Cubot Max 3 as I had had and liked the Max 2 model and the Max one, and also OH had had a Cubot Dinosaur (weird name for a phone but bought in 2017 and still works).

Build quality David, I've had cheap ones and they get too hot when running as a sat nag, rubbish cameras and would just stop working mid call, Samsung are not perfect but I rate them better than the others, I never buy new, don't see the point in that but someone has to for me to buy used. I'd have nothing but a Nokia once but they went dunno who has the name now

Build quality David, I've had cheap ones and they get too hot when running as a sat nag, rubbish cameras and would just stop working mid call, Samsung are not perfect but I rate them better than the others, I never buy new, don't see the point in that but someone has to for me to buy used. I'd have nothing but a Nokia once but they went dunno who has the name now
Perhaps you should read the thread title.
David is asking for an iPhone.

Perhaps you should read the thread title.
David is asking for an iPhone.
Perhaps you should read the post I was responding to before having a pop Lee ;) ;)

Just sayin.

I got Wullys phone and while it is a lovely little phone it is just a touch too old for the App to install :(
It needs iOS version 12.4 and the phone is a iPhone 5 which could only be updated to 10.3.

So I still am on the lookout for an iPhone which I now know needs to be at least an iPhone 5s (which goes to iOS 12) or possibly an iPhone 6s (that goes to iOS 15). Not sure if stopping at iOS 12 would always include 12.4 or if it could be a version of 12 .x before 12.4?
The 5s and 6s phones are stll pretty old in phone terms at 2013 and 2015

if anyone is into iPhone and are curious about the various models, this table has an interesting breakdown whcih I assume is correct - https://iosref.com/ios

I got Wullys phone and while it is a lovely little phone it is just a touch too old for the App to install :(
It needs iOS version 12.4 and the phone is a iPhone 5 which could only be updated to 10.3.

So I still am on the lookout for an iPhone which I now know needs to be at least an iPhone 5s (which goes to iOS 12) or possibly an iPhone 6s (that goes to iOS 15). Not sure if stopping at iOS 12 would always include 12.4 or if it could be a version of 12 .x before 12.4?
The 5s and 6s phones are stll pretty old in phone terms at 2013 and 2015

if anyone is into iPhone and are curious about the various models, this table has an interesting breakdown whcih I assume is correct - https://iosref.com/ios
When support for IOS or OSX stops it is usuall the start of a new version David. I have never had it stop inbetween version which is why I say usually. On phones, tablets and Macs it’s always been the next full version so it it runs 12 it should take all updates stopping at 13 👍

I honestly don't get the point - if getting an Android phone - of buying a high priced brand name. I can't see anything they will do that the cheaper ones can't, unless you really need/want things like folding screens and a screen that curves over the side (pretty but worth the extra?).

I changed my phone back in November 2022 (so not that long ago - unless you are a teenager in which case you would have needed 3 upgrades since then) and bought a Cubot Max 3 from Amazon
For a phone that cost under £120 the specs are incredible I reckon .... see here https://amzn.to/3S5zFAK
And if you scroll down you see a few suggested options with similar specs for similar money or less (this one here looks very good VFM? https://amzn.to/428fN4z)

I went for the Cubot Max 3 as I had had and liked the Max 2 model and the Max one, and also OH had had a Cubot Dinosaur (weird name for a phone but bought in 2017 and still works).
I was wondering about these from china.kingkong power.jpgkingkong star.jpgx70.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back