Washroom vanity unit spares

GeoffL

One of the hinges on one of the smaller doors of the vanity unit in our washroom has broken away. This is part of the moulding and I haven't been able to find the bit that broke off. The van is a 2001 Autotrail Scout.
Are these doors available as spares? If so, I'd be grateful for a source of supply or two.
Thanks for looking, Geoff

vanity_unit.jpg

Have you contacted Autotrail? The parts department number is 01472 571003.
Thanks -- that was my first point of call. However, Autotrail told me they no longer have a parts department and said I'd need to contact one of their dealers. They suggested O'Leary motorhomes: email to O'Leary duly sent.
Thanks again.

Thanks -- that was my first point of call. However, Autotrail told me they no longer have a parts department and said I'd need to contact one of their dealers. They suggested O'Leary motorhomes: email to O'Leary duly sent.
Thanks again.
Autotrail clearly need to update the FAQs on their website!

Thanks -- worse, I've just received a reply from O'Leary's to say they don't have the required parts. Reading between the lines, I guess the van is just too old!

Quite likely a spare that dealers wouldn't have stocked anyway on the basis that there would be (virtually) no requirement for it. Bad if they didn't check with Autotrail.
Is it something that could be fixed with a GRP repair and then perhaps painting the two doors a contrasting colour?

I suspect it can't be easily repaired as the plastic is probably ABS. I suppose that I could get some ABS or acrylic sheet, try to heat form an insert to weld with acetone -- but it would be a lot of faff and probably a long-term failure. I'm thinking more of a softwood frame with a covering of either very thin ply 'slats' or perhaps doped calico. In the meantime, I have a massive roll of duct tape ...

Autotrail clearly need to update the FAQs on their website!
Not sure what the website says (likely is out of date) but fairly recently they changed a policy and apparently will no longer supply ANY spares direct to owners but only to their dealer network.

I suspect it can't be easily repaired as the plastic is probably ABS. I suppose that I could get some ABS or acrylic sheet, try to heat form an insert to weld with acetone -- but it would be a lot of faff and probably a long-term failure. I'm thinking more of a softwood frame with a covering of either very thin ply 'slats' or perhaps doped calico. In the meantime, I have a massive roll of duct tape ...
If the break is not at the front (I'm assuming. can't see any thing), then using something like fibreglass to repair and fill (and stengthen) the area and then making a new hole to mount the hinge to might work?

As far as a replacement door goes, I would think you would be pretty lucky. However ... Magnum Motorhomes stock a selection of 'old-stock' Autotrail doors, so they might be worth a call?

Thanks. I've emailed Magnum but not heard back. As noted above, I have a large roll of duct tape and so have time to decide on the best option. The hinge is just a hole in the top flange, so I can't reinforce that area too much unless I use alternative hinge arrangements.
Also, a local Facebook group has provided a list of breakers that I'm slowly working through.

From your photo it looks like it is hinged top and bottom of the door with a 'pin' and not a normal hinged type. It should be able to be repaired with epoxy or similar. Build it up on the cabinet and the back of the door. Drill and remake a suitable pin, job done.

I repaired ours with plastic number plate nuts and bolts and 5 years on it's still holding

From your photo it looks like it is hinged top and bottom of the door with a 'pin' and not a normal hinged type. It should be able to be repaired with epoxy or similar. Build it up on the cabinet and the back of the door. Drill and remake a suitable pin, job done.
Thanks for the comment. The doors are as you describe. However, AFAICT, the 'pin' is actually screwed into place with the female thread being incorporated in the missing part of the door. I'll need to remove the other door to find out for sure. As mentioned upthread, the door is either ABS or acrylic -- both of which are solvent weldable using acetone (or, better, a proprietary weld cement) and ABS sheet is relatively cheap. So I'd probably go the plastic welding route if I'm going repair, or else make up wooden replacement doors if I can't get OEM spares at a reasonable price.
Thanks again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back