Water pump behaviour

Robina

After being parked on a slope for a couple of weeks while we were in the house the water did not work properly in the van. It spluttered out of the taps (hot and cold) and then stopped. The pump kept going as if trying to fill the heater. My husband may have accidentally emptied the heater when hoovering by knocking the drain tap. Anyway after moving to the flat, trying all sorts of fills, refills, turnings on and off we took the grit filter off. It was clean so we reassembled it and primed the system. Everything started working perfectly. The puzzle is - what was the problem? A) Could there have been an air block? B) Is the pump on the way out? C) Do you carry a spare water pump?

Probably just an airlock in the pump. Ours nearly always does it when I empty the tank (which is not often) :)

After a total draindown my system takes ages to bleed fully .I often wonder if I could do something to help ?.

Yes, ours often does that especially after travelling through hilly country. I thinks it’s just the water gets shaken it of the suction pipe letting air in. Usually clears itself if I turn the pump on and off or open a tap and slam it shut again.

If you're still having trouble try draining the system and the refilling with all the taps and drain on the water heater open but the pump off.
This will hopefully get rid of the air blocks.

Thanks for your replies. It is good to know it is a relatively common problem and probably not a serious issue.

After being parked on a slope for a couple of weeks while we were in the house the water did not work properly in the van. It spluttered out of the taps (hot and cold) and then stopped. The pump kept going as if trying to fill the heater. My husband may have accidentally emptied the heater when hoovering by knocking the drain tap. Anyway after moving to the flat, trying all sorts of fills, refills, turnings on and off we took the grit filter off. It was clean so we reassembled it and primed the system. Everything started working perfectly. The puzzle is - what was the problem? A) Could there have been an air block? B) Is the pump on the way out? C) Do you carry a spare water pump?
Ditch the impellor pump and get a diaphragm type, more pressure better flow and will suck any air through. It will test you’re plumbing though!

Mine is parked on a hill. As long as I remember to run the pump occasionally it's no problem.
If I forget, it gets the air lock.
Solution....I remove the pipe at the pump that goes to the tap, run the pump for a few seconds, replace the pipe, and all's well. Fortunately my pump is easily accessible.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back