Water tank woes

While I haven’t ripped anything off that I remember (or missed) I have seen some fairly heavy damage done to vehicles that have found a rock that’s fallen into the road from dry stone walls and the like. You don’t have to drive over speed humps, kerbs etc to damage stuff underneath. Does the van in question have decent ground clearance with tanks fitted?

Autotrail used to make their own tanks. Mine is a 2008 Cheyenne and it made in house. I would blame the bolt/washer/nut side. It happened to our leisure battery box, whilst driving through Kendal 4 years ago. Fortunately we were in traffic in the town, otherwise it would have been catastrophic at speed.
The floors aren’t steel. They are a laminate of recycled plastic sheeting,( think plasterboard sheets, but plastic). A Polystyrene insulation layer then plywood interior sheet over that. When I contacted AT they weren’t interested in the slightest. Good luck with it, but don’t expect a call back from them!

Remember the manufacture will do their very best to keep the weight down. This comes with a price. My stainless 600 litre water tank is only held in place with a couple of straps.

The Autotrail battery box straps do look a bit basic. I don't use my battery box for batteries any more but if I did I would have supplemented them.

As far as the fresh watertank goes, the one on my Autotrail is sat on top of chassis members so I doubt that will be going anywhere (have to hope it never needs replacing as god knows how that can happen!?)

Yes my tank has two overflows at the top. I never shove the hose to far down and very rarely fill it right up.It looks to me that some nice big flat washers should have been used not just use bolts straight to floor As that’s why they pulled thru.Trouble is with covid I wasn’t able to keep up with annual hab checks etc so guess warranty has gone out the window.
You would guess wrong. The maker may claim that habitation check are required to maintain the warranty, but the supply of goods act is on your side.
If it has failed because it wasn't fit for purpose in the first place (which appears to be the case here) you are covered.
Oh, but remember this is the warranty provided by the vendor, not the maker.

Autotrail used to make their own tanks. Mine is a 2008 Cheyenne and it made in house. I would blame the bolt/washer/nut side. It happened to our leisure battery box, whilst driving through Kendal 4 years ago. Fortunately we were in traffic in the town, otherwise it would have been catastrophic at speed.
The floors aren’t steel. They are a laminate of recycled plastic sheeting,( think plasterboard sheets, but plastic). A Polystyrene insulation layer then plywood interior sheet over that. When I contacted AT they weren’t interested in the slightest. Good luck with it, but don’t expect a call back from them!
The OP’s van is a factory panel van conversion not a coachbuilt, it has a steel floor 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back