We bought a new car

We have then David so they will get used, had most of it on our 04 Aerodeck, cept the 360 cam

I downloaded the PDF manual, why when it's digital do they still put stuff in that has nothing to do with our car, delete it and make it model specific?

I think we may struggle a bit at first, Liz certainly will, I tried to see how to do basic stuff like link the phone to BT, turn on and adjust the radio, it's all on screen stuff, we will get used to it, moreso when sat in it but it looks far from logical.

Our manual is model specific, single language and a good inch thick Kev and small print. I gave up trying to read what it has and does. I I need anything I just Google.

I like to have the PDF on my phone, I often sit waiting for Liz at an appointment so I have look through and see if I have missed anything useful.

I hope it gives you many miles of safe driving, Kev.

Out of interest, I've chatted to people around here, including EV owners, and their opinion is that because from 1 April 2025, when drivers of new and used EVs will pay vehicle tax in the same way as drivers of ICE vehicles do, their interest is falling away. (This change applies to both new and existing vehicles and will ensure all drivers begin to pay a fairer tax contribution). [Modified Government Website].

I've been happily driving various Hybrid vehicles since 2011, and my current one shows 59.9 mpg.

I hope it gives you many miles of safe driving, Kev.

Out of interest, I've chatted to people around here, including EV owners, and their opinion is that because from 1 April 2025, when drivers of new and used EVs will pay vehicle tax in the same way as drivers of ICE vehicles do, their interest is falling away. (This change applies to both new and existing vehicles and will ensure all drivers begin to pay a fairer tax contribution). [Modified Government Website].

I've been happily driving various Hybrid vehicles since 2011, and my current one shows 59.9 mpg.
Interesting it will apply to EVs that were previously exempt. Are you sure it will apply to already registered EVs? Usually those kind of things are not applied retrospectively - a bit like cars under a certain CO rating having a set £30 RFL and that not going up each year (my car has a set RFL and has been the same for the last 7 years).

We paid 165 last week, the Fiesta is free as far as I know.

Interesting it will apply to EVs that were previously exempt. Are you sure it will apply to already registered EVs? Usually those kind of things are not applied retrospectively - a bit like cars under a certain CO rating having a set £30 RFL and that not going up each year (my car has a set RFL and has been the same for the last 7 years).
Well I'm not certain David, but GOV.Uk seems to be fairly clear. It's the page I copied, but with bits of guff removed.

For current owners who thought they were free for life, it seems a bit unfair on them, but arguably less fair on the general public's taxation.

As a bit of a giggle, and to avoid being thought of as political, I've been loaned a book of Punch for 1895, and it seems that the last TollBar was only removed 1st November 1895, and that another Welsh RDC (Chester) placed 'station men' to count the number of cyclists on all the main roads with a view to estimating what revenue would accrue from taxing cyclists. 😂

Punch seemed to be full of items and cartoons regarding cycling that year.

You are quite right with the tax - and have to say it is a bit of a jump to go from ZERO tax to £190 if you bought a new EV seven years ago and thought you had no tax on it for life.
for an EV registered prior to 1st April 2017, it is a pretty minor thing with the tax going to just £20 a year. I actually used this date as one of my own 'buy points' and my [petrol] car was registered on the 31st March 2017 and was £30 per year RFL (and now apparently £35 a year?), but if it was ONE DAY newer, it would have been £140 at that time and £190 now. That is nearly an extra £1,000 cost of ownership so far I have avoided.

Last edited:
The fiesta 30 09 2016, I'd rather pay the new tax than drive it any more, although we did have a good day out yesterday managed 290 miles on country roads, new car at 11am today, we're both quite excited to get our first new car.

Well we picked it up, handover was shite, girl new SFA about this model just general stuff, most you don't need to know to drive it, foot on brake and press start, it's keyless entry which I hate, it's okay if it only sense the key from 5-10 feet but I lost sight of it and it still didn't lock, hope that can be adjusted, no paper manual, there are two PDFs online, one is a quick start guide = Chocolate fireguard, the other is an in depth mechanics guide more or less and tells you little in over 300 pages that helps you drive it, I may once I have figured it out do Vlog manual, not found one so far

Just found a decent video review of the car.

Ours is black as we hate the weird front sticky out bits but they're almost invisible in black.

I've just been out to suss out the Android auto bit before the sun makes it unbearable I think I have it more or less sorted as the sales lass had an iPhone so she couldn't help, nice lass but a bit crap at her job, she couldn't answer any of our questions without asking someone else, I asked he if it had locking wheel nuts, she said yes, so I asked where the special nut was, she said any garage can undo them so I said then it doesn't have locking wheel nuts, I will have to have a look it seems.

From a driving point of view it feels very nice, but using the toys is a steep learning curve it's all menus on top of menus, we'll figure it out eventually, you cant beat a good knob or a switch, trying to get Lizs phone to talk to it is today's job, I don't do fruit based stuff

Liz took it out for her first drive yesterday afternoon, she won't drive with me in the car as we drive very differently and she prefers me to drive anyway.

We both really like it, it's very refined compared to previous MGs by a long way according to reviews online

Considering I only drove into the dealership to turn around and go back to the bigger brands, We had no idea that there were new models out as they were definitely not on our radar, I just went in to use the loo really, but spotted this thing and sat in it, mega comfy, and then started to look at it more closely, I think we dropped lucky as we'd looked at Dacia the week before as we got the Fiesta from a Dacia dealer and we were passing after my last hormone jab so we called in, but the salesman was just an arse more interested in his puter than selling a car so we left.

If it works similar to mine Kev you need to set a profile for each driver. You then set your phone up on your profile, will sync everything to you then.

I did have a slight problem where my profile kept going to kilometres and it was a bugger to find where the setting causing it was. No good when using sat nav as Speedo lol

It's funny how a car affects people. We had Beemers and Jags for years and before that Carltons and Senators (Vauxhall) Never been a fan of Ford. Anyhoo, we decided to change the last Jag we had and went looking. Nothing grabbed my attention. But a mate said that at my age, I should buy a Kia. It suits old geezers, apparently! 'er indoors started looking and wanted to go look at one. I said which one, she replied "the black one". :ROFLMAO:

Anyhoo, while out we did go and look at the car she had seen advertised at a dealer. It is a Kia,Ceed GTline/S Sportback. First thing I asked was the engine size. "1600 turbo diesel". Oh bugger, going from a Jag XF to a Kia? But she liked the look of it (so do I as it happens) so we went for a test drive. Bugger me! (form an orderly queue!) It was great to drive. I loved it from the start. So we bought it and added the Jag money to the holiday fund.

We have had it for nearly seven years, it gets over 40 mpg for the five miles she goes to work and back. The seven speed auto box if smooth and it has Android Auto. After nearly seven years and at £25 per year emissions tax, I don't think I'll change it any time soon.

It's funny how a car affects people. We had Beemers and Jags for years and before that Carltons and Senators (Vauxhall) Never been a fan of Ford. Anyhoo, we decided to change the last Jag we had and went looking. Nothing grabbed my attention. But a mate said that at my age, I should buy a Kia. It suits old geezers, apparently! 'er indoors started looking and wanted to go look at one. I said which one, she replied "the black one". :ROFLMAO:

Anyhoo, while out we did go and look at the car she had seen advertised at a dealer. It is a Kia,Ceed GTline/S Sportback. First thing I asked was the engine size. "1600 turbo diesel". Oh bugger, going from a Jag XF to a Kia? But she liked the look of it (so do I as it happens) so we went for a test drive. Bugger me! (form an orderly queue!) It was great to drive. I loved it from the start. So we bought it and added the Jag money to the holiday fund.

We have had it for nearly seven years, it gets over 40 mpg for the five miles she goes to work and back. The seven speed auto box if smooth and it has Android Auto. After nearly seven years and at £25 per year emissions tax, I don't think I'll change it any time soon.
We bought a 6 year old Kia Cee'd with 40+k on it, PX a pos, loved the look of it, brakes were a bit iffy rang them and told me they would send a recovery truck, it arrived in half an hour, they rang me at ten the next morning, would I like to come get it or have it delivered, you have the car says I and in half an hour it was back with us, I don't care what car you buy you will not get better service than that anywhere.

They changed the whole braking system new discs, drums, pads and shoes, this is how they make a name for themselves, this Trophy has a 7-year warranty too, and it is lovely to drive and since Ford announced no more Fiestas (stupid decision) this is the perfect replacement for it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back