Weather Report..................

It was a lovely sunrise on Folkestone. C&CC site:

WP_20190405_06_39_11_Rich.jpg

So we met up with Ian (Stitch) who had overnighted overlooking Folkestone harbour, drove to Dover and popped over to Calais.
Then along the coast to Gravelines star fort in warm sunshine.
Then to Gravelines aire for a communal meal and chat.
All in all a great start to the Netherlands gathering.

Colin ???

Good Morning all, nice and bright out not to cold, slightly breezy, clouds i little grey, but not raining here in Milnrow Lancashire

We're at Chateaureax it's grey with a promise of getting better and 10c.
Not we've been used to but hey ho back to normal.

10 degrees down here, too, Lee.
You're not missing much. Breeze blowing the washing ok. Better be dry before the next lot of showers arrive at lunchtime... Allegedly.

It did.. They didn't.
Brandy went down well, at coffee time, though..
Mustn't grumble.

We had still air this morning on the aire near Gravelines:

WP_20190406_09_08_30_Rich.jpg

So we pottered along the E40 to Brugge and ensconced ourselves on the aire there. Then a wander into the beautiful old town centre to celebrate Lin's [spelling?] birthday by over-dosing on chocolate in various forms:

WP_20190406_12_27_20_Rich.jpg

Followed by more meandering around the cobbled streets:

WP_20190406_15_15_01_Pro.jpg

Then booked a restaurant for this evening's communal meal.
Lots of Belgian favourites on the menu so something I'm really looking forward to.
It was warm in the intermittent sunshine so the older members had an afternoon nap, leaving me to catch up on a book.

Colin ???

This evening we had a gentle stroll back into Brugge in milder air than last night.
The restaurant meal was great, the company even better:

WP_20190406_20_10_55_Rich.jpg

Then a meander back to the aire through streets made even more attractive by the dearth of tourists and spectacle of light on water:

WP_20190406_22_09_41_Rich.jpg

Colin ???

The weather site says its raining and will continue until 6pm
I'm sitting outside with my oilskin and sou'wester on looking silly and sweating as the sun peeps through the light cloud. I might put my umbrella down, if it continues.
Lovely memories, thanks to Colin's travelogue. Great pictures.. Thanks.
We always used to stop under the bridge in Brugges , after taking the ferry from Hull, when we were still based in Leeds, before 2004.

The rain tip-toed in at 11, first as a mist, then a drizzle,.
After 4 hours of solid rain, the Sun is breaking through.. Typical April weather... For Doncaster .
10 mm, forecast for overnight..
It's not been the same since a Government spokesman said that The Algarve was officially classified as severe drought.

I thought I'd have an early morning cycle from Brugge aire to Sluis in Holland so woke at 0530.
It was dark.
So I went back to bed with the intention of trying again at 0700.
When we had some light rain.
So I gave up.

We then drove to Ghent, stopped by the rowing 'lake' and caught the free bus into Ghent where the sun came out and warmed the lovely old buildings:

WP_20190407_12_27_20_Rich.jpg

WP_20190407_12_30_24_Rich.jpg

................and generated a thirst.
So Ian insisted on stopping for liquid lest he dehydrate:

WP_20190407_14_27_26_Rich.jpg

Colin ???

It's been throwing it down most of today, frequently yesterday and set for tomorrow also! Decided to take a trip to sesimbra as forecast looks a bit better there!

Back