Weeping Reich Kama Kitchen Tap

marchie

We have discovered a very slight 'weep'/leak today from the kitchen tap (with micro switch), and I understand that it is likely to be the ceramic cartridge that has failed (M/home is 1Jun 2016 registration, Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Sovereign, so almost 8 years old), and that there could be about 3 different sizes of cartridge!

Has anyone changed the cartridge and can tell me what size it's likely to be? I'll probably chicken out and drive to Benicarlo to grovel to Ramon/Tambo at Tambo Autocaravanas to sort out the problem as an emergency intervention ...
Photo attached of the errant tap, before the washing up ... :ROFLMAO:

The weep is coming from the joint just up from the base of the tap where the tap spout/pipe leaves the main body of the tap, marked with the red splodge on the photo

PXL_20240411_190532382~2.jpgSteve

My taps (Reich Vector) in my Hymer. One developed a damaged cartridge and the lever went floppy, which is a common problem, so technically not a leak.
I attach a photo of the replacement cartridge and a few of the dismantled tap.
I am also attaching a photo of the invoice for the seller who supplied my replacements. His range of Reich parts was the best I found on the web at the time. His prices were good so I bought a replacement and a spare plus a microswitch thus making best use of the postage.

37F789D1-E18C-4CFA-8162-485BF1AAF439.jpeg8017B537-9CA1-4FDC-9CD2-EB46AC85CD7B.jpeg66685BBD-AA19-45EE-83B3-68A39FF510B7.jpeg8017B537-9CA1-4FDC-9CD2-EB46AC85CD7B.jpeg14239884-7FEE-4AD5-89EA-37F818475944.jpeg721EB0C8-B881-4B19-88FB-9655393978FF.jpegE4647A19-A96C-450B-B2AB-6F98947B1051.jpeg7D434E65-43B3-4A75-914B-6C2C32C3AE83.jpeg

Why do these taps keep being problematic, the ones we've been lucky to have are just the same as domestic mixer taps, none switched and never leaked, I don't understand why they need to be switched at all unless it's some sort of leak prevention when the van is not used, the only problem we've had is the tap itself becoming loose.

Why do these taps keep being problematic, the ones we've been lucky to have are just the same as domestic mixer taps, none switched and never leaked, I don't understand why they need to be switched at all unless it's some sort of leak prevention when the van is not used, the only problem we've had is the tap itself becoming loose.
Our tap is coming up for 8 years old, and I believe that 10 years is about the lifespan. The M/home is used in a variety of water types, depending on where we are when a refill is required, and the Van was also left unused for long periods (bought at nearly 5 years old with 8767 miles on the clock in April 2021; now has 25077 miles showing). So, far from the ideal environment and usage pattern, and our kitchen tap at home has had a couple of washers replaced plus a new tap in 18 years, and the latter doesn't get driven over potholes every few days, Kev! (y)

Steve

This is our newest to us van an 07 the 11 others have been 12 to 17 years old and as I say no problems with leaks ever on any part of the water system, so I have to think it's the switch type that is acting up, as you say differing water type and that might be the issue.

you have the switched taps to match the submersible water pumps.
the 'normal' domestic type taps are only suitable for a pressurised system using something like a Shurflo pump.
Each have their own benefits but I much prefer having a Shurflo type pump and regular taps. I don't know if you had a switched tap on a pressure system just what that switch would control?

Our tap is coming up for 8 years old, and I believe that 10 years is about the lifespan. The M/home is used in a variety of water types, depending on where we are when a refill is required, and the Van was also left unused for long periods (bought at nearly 5 years old with 8767 miles on the clock in April 2021; now has 25077 miles showing). So, far from the ideal environment and usage pattern, and our kitchen tap at home has had a couple of washers replaced plus a new tap in 18 years, and the latter doesn't get driven over potholes every few days, Kev! (y)

Steve
My tap had its 16th Birthday earlier this year and is fine, although I did replace the cartridge in the last couple of years (started leaking).
The taps with the switches on always seem to me both a lot more expensive (and I mean A LOT) and also much more plasticy and fragile, so I wouldn't be surprised in those having a 10 year life (if that!).

I don't know if you had a switched tap on a pressure system just what that switch would control?

I suppose it could only control when the pump got power, Shurflo seems a much better and uncomplicated system to me and I'm sure it could be retro fitted to most vans.

The taps with the switches on always seem to me both a lot more expensive (and I mean A LOT) and also much more plasticy and fragile, so I wouldn't be surprised in those having a 10 year life (if that!).
I was wrong we did have a switched tap system on one van but a previous owner had changed the pump so it was obsolete, I only noticed because I had to rip out the whole kitchen as the sink and hob were rubbish.

Before
1712941739007.jpeg

During

1712941765907.jpeg

After

1712941795079.jpeg

I’ve had problems with these taps before, although mine have just failed, not dripped.
If this happens again. I’ll disconnect the wiring and fit a small on/off switch in line.
I had thought of swapping out the pump and replacing it with a Sureflow pump.
I passed that idea to the Boss, who asked me if I was sure, all of my jubilee clips would take the increased, constant pressure.

I wouldn't guarantee it but mine is 20psi, air pressure at sea level is 14.7psi, and goes down as you go up, so the connection only has to withstand 5.3 psi unless you go to the dead sea (15.54psi) so the clips will be more than up to it.

When mine failed in Italy, I could only buy a 40 psi. No problems yet!
Actually, thinking about it, it may be 30 psi, but it is working well, and the drip that we had on the kitchen tap stopped.

Last edited:
There is a O ring on that joint pull it off and replace O ring Mine is 23 years old replace mine last year

There is a O ring on that joint pull it off and replace O ring Mine is 23 years old replace mine last year
Can't get past the plastic retaining screw collar because I don't have a box spanner of the right size. We're at Vinaros now (15 mins ago) and will be waiting for Tambo Motorhomes to open at 0900 tomorrow (outskirts of Benicarlo), hoping that he has a cartridge in stock and can fit it quicker than I can find a local Ferreteria who has the box spanner. Fingers crossed!

Steve

Update and Amen

Tambo (Ramon) does not carry the replacement cartridges for the taps, because he would lose money if customers return with a leak elsewhere and he has to trace and replace other components. So, it was a brand new tap, including the plastic pipes and pressure switches ... A snip at €197.00 including fitting, or £168.47 at today's exchange rate. Probably about the same price that I would have paid in UK, bearing in mind the import duties, and I doubt that a Dealer would have fitted us in without an appointment ...

Steve (poorer but no wiser)

Ouch! Did you tell them you like to be kissed when being shafted ?
Leisureshop Direct website want a (discounted) £78+ for a new tap, with new micro switch and pipes at additional cost, Sam. Then there's delivery charges and fitting, so £168 for the whole job and everything renewed and fitted by a trained technician (and I haven't had to go looking for/paying for box spanners) with a guarantee sits well with UK rates/prices 👍

Steve

We have discovered a very slight 'weep'/leak today from the kitchen tap (with micro switch), and I understand that it is likely to be the ceramic cartridge that has failed (M/home is 1Jun 2016 registration, Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Sovereign, so almost 8 years old), and that there could be about 3 different sizes of cartridge!

Has anyone changed the cartridge and can tell me what size it's likely to be? I'll probably chicken out and drive to Benicarlo to grovel to Ramon/Tambo at Tambo Autocaravanas to sort out the problem as an emergency intervention ...
Photo attached of the errant tap, before the washing up ... :ROFLMAO:

The weep is coming from the joint just up from the base of the tap where the tap spout/pipe leaves the main body of the tap, marked with the red splodge on the photo

View attachment 72260Steve
watch this

Club Motorhome Videos - Motorhome Mixer Tap Overhaul​

sorry on Youtube

Back