Wet n Forget

Wully, a slight tangent, does moss etc actually damage house roofs, apart from making them unsightly and slippery ?

Paul

Hi Paul it depends on type of roof on concrete tiles it grows in the water channels joining tiles together and it holds a lot of moisture so tiles can become porous and brittle but only after a long time 20+ years on slates it’s not so much of a problem and it tends not to get a good hold on clay tiles it comes away easier if it’s been warm for a couple of days most people just do it as it stops gutters getting clogged and bits falling on ground I’ve noticed in England it’s not so much of a problem and the further south you go the better but if you’re roofs north facing with trees around it will get moss on but as you said some older roofs are better left alone and most people do it for the clean look.

Wully, a slight tangent, does moss etc actually damage house roofs, apart from making them unsightly and slippery ?

Paul
I do not think the roots of moss penetrate into the tile or slate there could possibly be damage where the moss is in the joins and you get hard frost or freezing

Needs to be as thick as a lightning conductor to work properly terry its great if fitted to a new roof but takes ages if the moss has already got a good hold Think it’s the chemical reaction of the sulphur in the copper when it rains. there’s a company in Perth who make a tidy penny fitting copper over the ridges. We scrape the odd roof with scrapers and wire brushes but has to be the worst job in the roofing trade dae yer nut in stuff we don’t do many and if my guys know we’re cleaning a roof they usually try and throw the sicky. Domestos watered 3 to 1 works well

Yesterday I sprayed the roof of my van with wet n forget.
Even though I had made every effort to make sure the roof was horizontal, this morning, when I looked up there I found a pool in one corner. With my brush I swept it around the roof intending to let it dry, but the result was truly amazing!
I couldn’t resist brushing the whole roof and rinsing it with a hosepipe as I went along, the finish is now cleaner and shinier than it ever has been, and virtually effortless!
I will give it another coat next week, and leave it to react with rain, as you are supposed to do, but I think the days of dirty roofs are over!
I had a chat with Wet n Forgets Technical Dept before using it, because I was worried about any detrimental effects to the solar panel, and they assured me it would be perfectly ok, the results would seem to back this up.
I have a roof that has some pretty hard set stuff on it so tried this wet and forget I had and left it for a few days - and last two been raining pretty hard.
using a hose jet the dirt is not directly washing off, but definately softened and can be removed just by wiping a finger so looks to have worked pretty well :)

Hmmm, think I might pop some of that in with my smalls when I next do some washing...

I have used this stuff in the past on slabs around the house and was happy with the result. How did you dilute it. - 1 to 5 or did you make it up stronger?

I have used this stuff in the past on slabs around the house and was happy with the result. How did you dilute it. - 1 to 5 or did you make it up stronger?
One to five is perfectly adequate.
Remember though to apply when there is no chance of rain for 4 to 5 hours, to give it a chance to soak in.

Just a review, today I popped up the ladder to check wether the roof etc was still presentable.
Very pleasantly surprised to see that there was just a thin covering of dust up there and a quick rinse with a hosepipe soon sorted that out.
The solar panel has not been affected and is easier now to simply rinse clean, so I hope this reassures anyone who is thinking about using Wet n Forget.

DA305682-F266-4519-A77B-50B2E7D350FE.jpegRoaminRog...This is mine yesterday...13 weeks since I sprayed with wet and forget after an initial good clean...looking good ???

This thread just reminded me I used Wet & Forget - and then forgot I used it so never finished the job! Opps. (well named product though :D )

At work we use a similar product for the use around retail parks and schools etc. Most of these products are citric acid based and have a cleaning action which "brightens" the surfaces , we have had amazing results with it the product sells itself. I bring some home twice a year and do the indian stone paving and green house. If it was me personally and just for the motorhome roof, I would leave it on over night or all day and then rinse off, for all other applications we spray and then leave.

Someone told me that bio washing powder the cheaper and nastier the better killed moss so I’ve been giving it a try and it works a treat put it on paths round house great stuff now experimenting with swimming pool cleaner and washing powder mixed for de mossing roofs testing on my own first. I’ll keep you updated took before photos will take a time lapse photo for next six weeks.

At work we use a similar product for the use around retail parks and schools etc. Most of these products are citric acid based and have a cleaning action which "brightens" the surfaces , we have had amazing results with it the product sells itself. I bring some home twice a year and do the indian stone paving and green house. If it was me personally and just for the motorhome roof, I would leave it on over night or all day and then rinse off, for all other applications we spray and then leave.

I would be very interested to know the name of this similar product?

Some results from my home made concoction spayed mixture on my decking on Sunday the effect after four days is amazing no pressure washing just sprayed on then scrubbed in with a broom left overnight then rinsed off with a hose but I don’t think I would be putting it on my motorhome roof. I’ve been messing about with different concoctions for a few years now and this is the best results I’ve had

85DAC1C3-8E59-4BC7-983D-C82C4BC86928.jpegFCAE1B8C-3232-49AE-878E-A1E378D2D401.jpeg79E04CDD-10A8-489D-A67E-49149D8743AD.jpeg

Interesting. I just started a thread on the wildies about this product as my motorhome roof is disgusting. Its very green and even the local dealer a couple of years back that does a cleaning service couldnt shift it. I was thinking of giving this wet and forget a go. I also found this which sounds like the same sort of stuff just cheaper. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-green-gone-super-concentrate-paths-drives-cleaner-3l/p/0428448 Someone on another forum said its pretty much the same stuff. Think ill try the wet and forget though as I know it contains no bleach.

Jeyes fluid is the business for that thick moss you get on your roof. I had loads on a felt roof extension and was told about it. Cheap from Lidl and it killed it off very quickly. Brushed it away after a while as I didn't want it going into the gutter.

Jeyes fluid is the business for that thick moss you get on your roof. I had loads on a felt roof extension and was told about it. Cheap from Lidl and it killed it off very quickly. Brushed it away after a while as I didn't want it going into the gutter.

Did you still have to scrub it with that? What was the procedure? Does it contain bleach?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back