What Clothes/Footwear?

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

I plan to explore France, Spain & Portugal, starting middle January 2020, not sure on the clothing/footwear we will need
This will be the first time we have gone through the tunnel at this time of the year, don't really know how long we will be, January. February, March & April definitely
The question is can any body who as been in these areas during these months (Keeping to the bare essentials) advise me on the type for usual weather I need to cater for
All your knowledgeable information will be gratefully appreciated

We have been in these areas and experienced everything from t-shirt weather in daytime to snow. So layers, basically. Several t-shirts and just a couple of sweaters for on top (based on wearing one and the other in the wash), a warm jacket and foldaway waterproof one, trainers and a pair of sturdier shoes if you plan to walk. I take one pair of jeans and at least two pairs of 3/4 trousers. Then it depends a bit on your lifestyle. We never take posh frocks and sparkly sandals because we wouldn't wear them at home or away. I don't know so much about Portugal but in France and Spain there are laundrettes at places like supermarkets and fuel stations so it's not hard to throw in a load and keep on top of it.

I went last year beginning Feb to end of March. I started out in full winter gear - boots, thick socks, jeans, T shirt, hoodie, winter coat. In southern Portugal I was down to vest top, crop trousers and sandals during the day. You will encounter all types of weather from cold winter to summer sun.

So really you need to take winter, spring and summer outfits, boots, sandals and shoes.

I went last year beginning Feb to end of March. I started out in full winter gear - boots, thick socks, jeans, T shirt, hoodie, winter coat. In southern Portugal I was down to vest top, crop trousers and sandals during the day. You will encounter all types of weather from cold winter to summer sun.

So really you need to take winter, spring and summer outfits, boots, sandals and shoes.
And if you are anything like the Lady Oppy, half of it will come back unworn

Where I am It gets very cold after about 5 o'clock down on the coast not bad but in the evening you will need a coat my friend on my land in Portugal said not much rain but cold ,:D

We used to take a tee shirt and a pair of jeans to change into when we took our leathers off. When we needed a change we bought another tee shirt and burnt the dirty one lol

That was on a motorbike though so much less space than a van. we’re I going now tee shirts, shorts, RAB type ultra light low temp jacket plus a waterproof shell for on top. Finish off with a couple of pairs of memory foam walking trainers. They have shops abroad if you need anything else 👍

Definitely layers! Starting with camisole vests for hot days, or under t-shirts, a couple of long sleeve t-shirts and a couple of jumpers. I have found a light woollen shawl really useful as an extra layer at night, throw over in evening and quick coverup for t-shirt when temp drops unexpectedly. Usually have a pair of leggings which ( once) I wore under trousers when it snowed unexpectedly. Start of with several layers, take them off as sun appears and put back as it goes down. We are that way Jan ( now) to April too, and it can be challenging! Shoes just crocs/ sandals for slipping on quickly, sturdy trainers and a pair of " pretty" sandals for me and shoes for him. We do take a waterproof coat and have had trips where they were essential and others where they were never used!

In Alicanti province now. Start off the dog walking day with at least 3/4 layers, socks and long trousers. Mid day t-shirt and shorts/cropped trousers. About 4pm long trousers back on and one or two more layers on top. Last dog walk of the day all layers plus warm jacket, hat and gloves. Sturdy shoes, comfortable sandals, crocs for feet. Coming down through France and Spain in Jan/Feb you can get stuck in snow! Enjoy.

I am convinced some of it is in the mind, I wore long trousers for a week and a half over the Christmas period when it went wet and cold on the drove. Been back in shorts a week now and I definitely feel warmer than in long trousers. Top half though, decent fleece and down jackets required :)

I am convinced some of it is in the mind, I wore long trousers for a week and a half over the Christmas period when it went wet and cold on the drove. Been back in shorts a week now and I definitely feel warmer than in long trousers. Top half though, decent fleece and down jackets required :)
Trust me. It’s all in the mind. A lot to be said for, no sense, no feeling.

Just realised who I’m quoting. You’ve been beyond help for years. 😳

Definitely need warm clothes on the way down through France and Spain - we usually see snow... Once south Lee wears shorts all the time and I wear leggings. we take some boots in case but most of the time I’m in Birkenstock’s...

We tend to go to a laundrette about once a fortnight to wash bedding etc, just hand-washing undies and t-shirts.

Plenty of layers, trousers with zip off legs,one pair of good walking shoes or boots, pair of sandals.There are plenty of launderettes, also markets to buy anything you've missed

M and S thermal leggings and long sleeved turtle neck take up no space and keep you really warm.

Well....what did you take and what have you worn so far?
Until we got into Spain long pants, boots, vest, long sleeve t/shirt & fleece and coat, gloves & hat when we went out
Then vest and pants turned up, but now in Daimus Costa Blanca they have give 27° for tomoŕow so it's sorts all the way it's forecast an warmer than average February

Reactions: Rec

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back