What Diesel Fuel do you use

Kito

I was fueling my van at a Shell garage and as we were in the west cost of Scotland and planing to go the Shieldaig Applecross Kishhorn Road I thaugh I wouldn't fill the tank for the weight going up and down the hills it was while I was watching the ££ meter I realised that I had pulled up to the higher priced pump 10p per litre dearer I normally look for the the cheapest I can get mostly supermarkets, well I thought they say to put in a tank of the good every now and then and thought no more of it and set of but after driving for about 3 hours I was thinking the van was going really well as it had just turned the 10 thousand miles I thought it was just the engine slackening off when I remembered the fuel that I put in the engine seamed a lot smother in the pick-up and was pulling a lot better so I triped the odometer and yes I would say that I was getting upwards to 10mls per gallon more than normally I get so the next time I fueled it was BPs higher grade and I would say that it was even better, my van is a Fiat 2.3 multi jet 2 150 euro 6 which dose not need Ad-Blue I have tried the higher grade in my car before and never saw any difference

If you are paying just 10p/l about 8% more for it but getting around 30% more MPG then that it quite an achievement. Are these estimates or controlled measurements? I will fill my van today with the premium product and see what results I get too.

I have the same engine and would like you, if possible, to give further feed back on this when you've used a full tank or two and if you still see a marked improvement.

(y)

Hi I live in Aberdeenshire and travel south quight a lot plan to try Aberdeen / Perth on cheep and next time dearer to see the difference but when ???

I use here the cheap stuff 1euro 10 cents a liter for half the tank then top up with the dear stuff 1euro 20 cents a liter :D :D :D

good result, but I would shocked to find it gives a genuine 10MPG improvement!
worthwhile keeping using it and see if the performance is substained over a longer time :) only one way to be sure!

I bought a VW golf diesel last year and was told that I would get good results from Shell V power diesel by the dealer. When I picked the car up he had filled it with Morrisons diesel, the car drove well and I was happy with the performance. When it came time to fill up again I used Shell V power, within ten miles or so there was a distinct difference the car ran smoother and as more responsive. After using V Power diesel for about five fill ups it's a different car, smoother, quite and much more responsive it goes like a rocket when needed and on a steady run at around 70/75mph returns 65 to a gallon. I have also noticed the DPF only regenerates about once every 200 miles or thereabouts.

I have always used supermarket fuel in the motorhome, a 2.3 multi jet but will be using Shell V power in future. ( haven't used the motorhome much in the last 12months due to health problems)

Interesting
Might give it a go for a couple of months..
My usage on standard diesel is consistently 20-31 mpg based on Filling up about every week and 300 miles or so.
Would need this to go to 33 or more to be convinced

I was more interested in the shell v power keeping the engine bits and pieces clean and tidy. The consumption doesn’t really matter if the engine and associated parts like valves DPF and ERG are kept healthy

Hi like I said I was in Scotlands westcost in very hilly roads and I was getting 30/38mpg and the van was down to 1st gear some times starting off from passing places but it was pulling a lot better and the pickup when excelerating was a lot better.

I was more interested in the shell v power keeping the engine bits and pieces clean and tidy. The consumption doesn’t really matter if the engine and associated parts like valves DPF and ERG are kept healthy
I think that is the real benefit - but the one that is very hard to determine usually so must be taken on trust.
I know on my RAV4 forum, the owners of the later more complex diesel models will only use branded fuel and many only ever the premium versions of the stuff to keep carbon buildup to a minimum.

I was fueling my van at a Shell garage and as we were in the west cost of Scotland and planing to go the Shieldaig Applecross Kishhorn Road I thaugh I wouldn't fill the tank for the weight going up and down the hills it was while I was watching the ££ meter I realised that I had pulled up to the higher priced pump 10p per litre dearer I normally look for the the cheapest I can get mostly supermarkets, well I thought they say to put in a tank of the good every now and then and thought no more of it and set of but after driving for about 3 hours I was thinking the van was going really well as it had just turned the 10 thousand miles I thought it was just the engine slackening off when I remembered the fuel that I put in the engine seamed a lot smother in the pick-up and was pulling a lot better so I triped the odometer and yes I would say that I was getting upwards to 10mls per gallon more than normally I get so the next time I fueled it was BPs higher grade and I would say that it was even better, my van is a Fiat 2.3 multi jet 2 150 euro 6 which dose not need Ad-Blue I have tried the higher grade in my car before and never saw any difference

I would expect 2 or maybe 3 MPG difference with a modern engine but 10 MPG a miracle and we should all be using it.
Feeling smoother, hearing a different engine note and accelerating better doesn't always lead to more MPG.

Buy all out derv now at Costco, premium derv where our 2.8 jtd certainly runs a lot smoother.
Some people pour 2stroke oil into the fuel tank and report smoother running, Ive also heard that a pint of petrol in a full tank of diesel gives better acceleration and slightly more MPG, I suppose the petrol increases the explosive properties of the diesel.

A controlled experiment using the scientific method would need to be done to come to a clear conclusion, but I think "Which" did a small test on premium fuel a few years ago and concluded that it is only worth using in engines that were already high efficiency units.

I have spent the last 20 years doing courier work, eight of which was doing just Europe, and use a tank of fuel every day sometimes two, so nearly always use supermarkets fuel, as every penny counts when using this amount of fuel.
When I used to fill up in Luxembourg I could just make it home in Huddersfield on a tank full, and because fuel is so much cheaper in Luxembourg a couple of times I have put a tank full of the shell v power, and have again just made it home on a tank full, but on both types of fuel I have only had the same miles out of it.
And every van I have owned ( merc sprinter ) has done in excess of 500;000 miles without problems mainly on supermarket fuel, the last sprinter I had did 922,000 miles with very few problems.
The last 4 years I have gone to using a small van ( Citroen birlingo )and less miles per year, and have just changed vans at 400,000 miles without any problems again using supermarket fuel

There was an article on "The One show" on Monday about supermarket fuel, the Oil refineries say the fuel they deliver to supermarkets by law must be the same quality as everyone else.
Some do put additives in to raise the octane of petrol from 93 to 95 and some detergents, but they said you can use a tank full of this fuel every so often to clean the injectors. They also said the higher priced fuel only really works in performance engines.

I think there is a human wish, having spent the extra money on "premium" fuel to want more MPG, and we delude ourselves that we are getting more. I did delude myself several years ago with premium fuel when I had a new diesel car and a lot of commuting, when I realised (after six months) that the MPG was no better I went back to "std" fuel.

I have spent the last 20 years doing courier work, eight of which was doing just Europe, and use a tank of fuel every day sometimes two, so nearly always use supermarkets fuel, as every penny counts when using this amount of fuel.
When I used to fill up in Luxembourg I could just make it home in Huddersfield on a tank full, and because fuel is so much cheaper in Luxembourg a couple of times I have put a tank full of the shell v power, and have again just made it home on a tank full, but on both types of fuel I have only had the same miles out of it.
And every van I have owned ( merc sprinter ) has done in excess of 500;000 miles without problems mainly on supermarket fuel, the last sprinter I had did 922,000 miles with very few problems.
The last 4 years I have gone to using a small van ( Citroen birlingo )and less miles per year, and have just changed vans at 400,000 miles without any problems again using supermarket fuel

Hi Has your latest van a Euro 6 engine or is it 4 /5 Euro as there is a huge difference between 4/5 rated engines you don't say if the new is giving better MPG than the old one. Have you tried filling the new one with the higher Ron fuel to see if there is any difference in the MPG As there is a good chance that the old vans engine wasn't Common rail. As I said before I was in very hilly roads so a true MPG in normal roads may produce a different result But the van is just over a year old 11.000mls and I have never had a mid 30mpg reading and I am I'm on hilly roads a lot. As I am a time served commercial technician I know when a engine is running smoother and pulling better

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back