What the best way to pay for things in Ireland?

Pudsey Bear

Asking for Liz i expected to just use my debit card, but happy to be educated.

Think Revolute is what the kids are using, Christina was saying she got a better exchange rate than our bank using Revolute.

If you must some places take c card, many only do cash wink wink no taxman involved.
Fuel stations big shops like food stores etc do card, chipshops & small corner shops cash.
And once a few miles from n irish border its euro.

I would agree with trev.... they like a wee deal and lots of folding cash over in the Emerald Isle.

(Just look how many buildings suddenly went up at the time the Irish punt was being replaced by the Euro and all those mattress stuffers were about to become worthless as their origin could not to proven (or at least they didn't want to tell anyone about it :) )

I would agree with trev.... they like a wee deal and lots of folding cash over in the Emerald Isle.

(Just look how many buildings suddenly went up at the time the Irish punt was being replaced by the Euro and all those mattress stuffers were about to become worthless as their origin could not to proven (or at least they didn't want to tell anyone about it :) )
True and im now sleeping on the floor. :confused:

Think Revolute is what the kids are using, Christina was saying she got a better exchange rate than our bank using Revolute.
Revolute is not a proper bank and does not give the same protection as UK banks. I use starling when abroad ( I did in Ireland) you get the best exchange rates and no cash withdrawal charges

Last time we went we just used the cards, but I don't recall how much it cost us, and it was pre Brexit anyway, but it seems a bit of a phaph having to get cards or accounts just for one trip.

Last time we went we just used the cards, but I don't recall how much it cost us, and it was pre Brexit anyway, but it seems a bit of a phaph having to get cards or accounts just for one trip.
Many shops have signs up, cash only.

I love vying called one of the kids, at my age, but having a Revolut account.
Thank you 😊

Auto spell. Don't you just love it!

Yes, I think that's the plan Neil, I'll let Liz sort it all out, I'll just pay for the fuel on my card.

Yes, I think that's the plan Neil, I'll let Liz sort it all out, I'll just pay for the fuel on my card.
If it was me I would put Euros on my Revolut card and use that where a card is needed. As you know though I hardly ever leave the U.K. (or haven’t for years) so that may not be best way lol

If you have an HSBC account then open a free Global Money account online ( only, not in branch. )
You can load it with a variety of different currencies and then use it to for cash and card payments.
Very good exchange rates and no transaction charges.
Use it once in UK to get PIN to work.
I've found it very useful.

If asked at the garage do you want to pay in sterling or Euro pay in sterling using your card and let the bank sort out the exchange rate, The garage gets a commision for you paying in Euro.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back