What the best way to pay for things in Ireland?

I use a Halifax Clarity Card whenever I’m in Ireland. There are no charges and you always get the best exchange rate by opting to pay in Euros, otherwise you just get whatever exchange rate the business wants to give you. The same goes anywhere abroad.

If asked at the garage do you want to pay in sterling or Euro pay in sterling using your card and let the bank sort out the exchange rate, The garage gets a commision for you paying in Euro.

This runs contrary to all advice from people like Martin Lewis et al. You are allowing the garage (or other retailer) to set the exchange rate which will not be good. I suspect your bank will add its own charges on top.

The only sensible way is to use a card from a challenger bank, Starling, Monzo, Chase and the like or a proven credit card such as Halifax, etc.

Read these 2 links before you travel.

Davy

Maybe I should have invited Martin along with us he could have paid and saved us paying the commision. :unsure:

You could just post me a bundle of notes and i will sort the trip out for you. ;)
Some fuel stations are unmaned down suff, i use cap one card, other wise cash is king.

Cheers Trevor, I just need your account details and the three numbers on the back of your card.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back