What tipple do you take in the van?

I buy cask strength, unfiltered Scotch from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, so I might have some of that in the van for a nightcap. (This stuff needs good quality water to open it up) I have a glass of wine with dinner and at the w/e a sherry before and port after.

When we go to Spain I usually have a bottle of Scotch (normal strength) that my brother in the US sends me for my birthday which is just before we head off. In Spain we buy Spanish Brandy, wine, Montilla Moriles, which is very like sherry, and a sweet Malaga wine for dessert, usually made from the Pedro Ximenez (PX) or Moscatel grape. I sometimes buy a Campsite labelled wine to help the local economy - results are variable. And last year I discovered a couple of excellent Vermut Artesano.

We take tea and (ground) coffee from the UK and try to find fresh milk whenever possible..

FRom the very outset of my designing of 'Millie' I was looking to make a lightweight but strong construction, the reason being that on our trips over to France we always like to bring back as much wine as we can carry... Quite amazingly, when fully loaded my spare payload margin allows as much as 750 ltrs. if purchased in boxes, but the most we have actually brought back is slightly over 500 ltrs.

Not that we drink a lot, but my evening tipple is always started off with a beer and large whiskey chaser, I then go onto a full bodied red wine with the meal. My most beloved normally starts off with a strong G&T and then she goes onto a white Cotes de Gascoigne.

FRom the very outset of my designing of 'Millie' I was looking to make a lightweight but strong construction, the reason being that on our trips over to France we always like to bring back as much wine as we can carry... Quite amazingly, when fully loaded my spare payload margin allows as much as 750 ltrs. if purchased in boxes, but the most we have actually brought back is slightly over 500 ltrs.

Not that we drink a lot, but my evening tipple is always started off with a beer and large whiskey chaser, I then go onto a full bodied red wine with the meal. My most beloved normally starts off with a strong G&T and then she goes onto a white Cotes de Gascoigne.
Blimey, I’m impressed!
But you didn’t tell us what you have for a nightcap!

Lee has a selection of whisky, depending on what he has been given. I have gin and fever tree tonics and of course there is plenty of red. Mustn't forget the 'special milk' for hot choc around the fire......

But you didn’t tell us what you have for a nightcap!
I always take a nice powerful amitriptyline as prescribed by my doctor to help numb the pain of arthritis in my spine, shoulders, wrists and hands, which in almost all cases, it allows me to have a restfull sleep from approx. 22.00hrs through until 06.30hrs.
Normally, most especially when driving the next day, no alcohol passes my lips after 20.00 hrs

Whatever ken and Lee have nocking about but I canny drink that Irish stuff??

You must have lapses of memory, probably induced by the use of alcohol.
Perhaps if I could try a word association game with you?
Here goes Tullemore Dew.
You just type the first word that comes to mind.

Last edited:
G&ts at twos.spitfire ale after dinner with red vino
Don’t drink often ?
Mostly on hols

In our van, brandy, whisky, Baileys, doombar, old peculier, red wine, zinfendal, juices, but most importantly Tea and Coffee.. Lol
Mine is the Tea...

30 years ago when I was doing a redevelopment plan for the teaching hospital in Milan, after a hard days non-stop meetings with the Hospital Director and Consultants I used to retreat to his lair with the Hospital Engineer. He had two fat lady assistants, the one from Verona used to bring a Genoa Cake, the other a couple of bottles of white wine, and Mr Monte the Engineer a bottle of Campari. I’ve been hooked on Campari and white wine ever since. So there’s that, and the beer, and the red wine, not to mention the essential Port to have with the cheese. But here in Norway at these prices every sip produces a searing pain in the wallet!!!

Yorkshire tea, Buxton water if I am thirsty but if I am feeling wild I find a local farm for unpasteurised milk 46947

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back