What to Buy?

Thank you all very much for the really informative responses, to answer a couple of questions, due to limited driveway space whatever we buy will be stored in a compound (probably the same place we currently store our caravan), not that it matters but I'll be 57 when I retire and I do have a C1 licence.
I have considered hiring a van but they are very expensive even for a week.

Reactions: Rec
You can get it right....(or close enuff !)

We would both happily buy ours again..
Indeed when I have thought about changing..
We have both come to the conclusion...No No No
Pertect no but "Suits us Sir!"
Our prefernces and use will not suit others !
Try B4 you buy is a good idea...but what is great for 1 week may not work for 3 months !

Our local hab service engineer has a couple he rents out about £700 a week bigger company's brand new vans £11/1200 a week some dealers will hire one then knock hire cost of a purchase price , I know a few caravaners that have upgraded to a motorhome and gone back because it is not the same at all if you are used to pitching up & driving around and then have to get used to pigeon hopping around an area totally different mindset ,

Very interesting reading the views from all the fab replies, of note is the fact that few even mention the Mercedes / Fiat debate. Would it be fair to say each are as reliable as each other? I have read a few horror stories about fiat gearboxes and an iffy 5th gear. The advice offered has been hugely informative and we have discussed this at length. Thanks.

DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY BY A SHINEY MOTORHOME, most first time buyers or all ? buy an unsuitable van to start off lots to consider, the first thig is your driving licence, are you licenced to drive the size of vehicle you have fallen in love with, if it is OVER 3-5 tonnes laden weight it will require a different licence to your car licence, under 3-5 tonnes you can drive it on your car licence,if you passed your test before a certain date you can drive the heavier van on your present licence until the age of 70 when you require medicals every 3 years to retain the GRANDFATHER rights as they are called, Next where will you keep it over night, an Insurance question, will it fit on your drive at home or will you need road side parking or storage, these answers have an effect on your Insurance premium.
Next look at lots and lots of vans, and then look at lots and lots more until you are sure of your needs and likes, go to lots of dealers, look at private sellers BUT do not be bamboozled by them , they are not concerned about you buying the wrong van for you, just in taking your money, LOTS of SCAMMERS out there so BEWARE of fraudsters and DO NOT part with ANY money until you are sure the van is GENUINE, free of finance owned by whoever you are going to buy from, not stolen, or crashed repaired ,and all documents in place.
So the van will depend on your likes, size , condition ,mileage , layout storage,[very important] do you want fixed beds, how many seat belts, how many beds [ fixed bed for us every time, no faffing about at night making a bed ARRRGHHHH] water storage , gas storage [Refillables ?}fridge and freezer size, wardrobe space is very important, some vans claim to be 4?5 berth but only enough wardrobe space for 2? Left or right hand drive, do not worry about right hand drive ,if you plan to drive on the Continent it is really easy to have right hand drive in Europe , there are high top vans ,low lines,A class ,Coach built, vans with big ugly lumps over the drivers seat which is called the LUTON and have beds up there , it is your choice, then engines a real minefield, some vans are under powered for their size so beware, British vans have the habitation door on the left hand side , Continental built vans have the door on the right hand side , both good, no problems , but consider if you can live wish this.
As you sit in the van you like think where will I put everything, pots and pans, crockery, clothes etc etc where will I store outside stuff, ie barbies chairs tables , awnings wind breaks tools etc etc, nothing worse in my book , having outside clutter inside the van, does the van have a spare wheel many do not, [MADNESS}
Shower and toilet facilities are VERY important to us, we insist on a full size shower separate from the toilet, , and big enough to shower daily with comfort, some vans have diesel heating for space and water, mine does ,it is very efficient, and heats up almost instantaneously.
There are many many consideration when buying your first vans so be careful, if you get the wrong one you will loose lots of money changing the van to another and most of us have done that,Damp is a major consideration as are many other things as I am sure others will tell you, ask as many questions as you like as we are all here to help and were all newcomers to our hobby at one time,

:ROFLMAO:Thank you all very much for the really informative responses, to answer a couple of questions, due to limited driveway space whatever we buy will be stored in a compound (probably the same place we currently store our caravan), not that it matters but I'll be 57 when I retire and I do have a C1 licence.
I have considered hiring a van but they are very expensive even for a week.
Years ago someone asked the same question and I liked someone's reply thay hired four vans with different layout as what thay first thought thay wanted wasn't for them. And thay are dear to hire. But you are spending a fair bit of cash. So it might be a good idea. Mercedes/fiat. My pal would only have a Mercedes would never entertain a fiat. And I'm laughing as the problems he has with it mostly electrical. Yes it looks a great van. He doesn't like me calling it a van. So like every make thrs good and bad. So best of luck and enjoy chasing the rainbows and making great memories on your adventures

Last edited:
And remember ..
Some things you can adapt (generally around the Electrical side and maybe Gas), but other things it is much harder to do so.

And remember ..
Some things you can adapt (generally around the Electrical side and maybe Gas), but other things it is much harder to do so.

Very interesting reading the views from all the fab replies, of note is the fact that few even mention the Mercedes / Fiat debate. Would it be fair to say each are as reliable as each other? I have read a few horror stories about fiat gearboxes and an iffy 5th gear. The advice offered has been hugely informative and we have discussed this at length. Thanks.
I have had 3 vans FIATS , all had 2.8 JTD engines my current van has 2.8 JTD Fiat engine too no problems there, I do change the Oil and filters every 5000 miles and have always done so, there was a gear box problem on vans some years ago , it was with fifth gear as the engines had a separate 5th gear box attachment and was drip / splash fed with oil this was a bad design as often there was not enough oil in this gear box and so became a problem, it was relatively easy to change this gear box however, newer van so do not have that system any more I had an HYMER Tag axle on a Fiat 2,8 JTD no problems there, but I did need a new Clutch fitted in Portugal one trip , never had a Merc of any sort, don.t need the street cred hee hee, my son has a Merc people carrier, no end of trouble with that he gets ?

Anyone think they may want to sell Aug / Sept, I know it's a few months away just thought I'd ask the question. Ideally a Hymer 680 Starline but open to be persuaded on an alternative. Budget £35k with a small amount of flex built in. Thanks.

Fyi, we paid £17000 for a pre-reg van and £12000 to convert it....Citroen were best value at the time, we looked at fiat, Peugeot ( almost identical) discounted VW, and Merc as too dear for base vehicle. We had already converted one before so knew what we wanted, more or less. Bought a brand new Autotrail but it was such poor quality that it was returned for full refund after four months! Got a much better spec for less money this ti me. Still did a couple of tweaks after completed but nothing major. Look at motorhomebuilders Via this forum for ideas of innovative layouts.

We have only used our van in Europe so If buying another van the Habitation door would have to be on RHS / Offside

Reactions: Rec

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back