What tyre inflator?

I have the Halfords Rechargeable Multi Purpose Tyre Inflator £59.99 and used it for the last 3 years on my motorhome using 12v, 240v and also charged up at home so no need to plug in when away

Folks: Could I ask what the highest PSI is that you have achieved on the Halfords one and the Makita one?

Good for a full inflate, I just take a fully charged battery every time with me. [link redacted]
Before anyone else does as I almost did, it's worth pointing out that the link is for the bare inflator only and it comes without battery or charger. The price on Amazon for what I suspect is the same unit with battery and charger is an eyewatering £174. (clicky link)

Of course, if you have other 18V Makita stuff that uses the same type of battery, buying the bare inflator might make a lot of sense...

Cfm to low and will take a week to fill a tyre, good as they are, has anyone thought of a small tank under the van with a 230v comp running with a inverter, one full tank of air will inflate a tyre fast.
My air suspension has an air tank and compressor, running at around 150psi.
I was tempted to tap into it both for tyre inflation and for air horns, but then I decided that I don't want to add possible unreliability to an essential part of the vehicle.

Reactions: GMJ
Have been reading this and thought the jump start connections under the bonnet (if fitted) would have been useful. Only repeating what I found but apparently power cannot be drawn from there because of a diode. Totally clueless if this is correct but thought I'd mention it.
The video is about jump starting but in the questions some one mentions the diode.

Link Here.

121 Max psi rating.
That is good but as I don't have any other Makita kit, its too pricey for me. I'll stick with my Ring RAC900 (which hopefully I'll never have to use).

If/when I have to replace other stuff (drills etc) it would be worth bearing in mind though.

Thanks to all for the comments, which with my own experience suggests that no cigar-socket-powered inflator is going to be up to the task. So my thought now is to rig something to be able to use my 17Ah jump start pack with a T-Max inflator (the 30A fused version, BA2641) as that should give me about 15 minutes of operating time without using more than half the battery capacity. However, a review on Amazon pulled me up short as the reviewer claimed the bit that fits onto the tyre valve has a metric thread that won't fit Schrader valves. I'd thus be grateful for someone who has one of these inflators to confirm that it fits standard Schrader valves (or if not, what needed to adapt it).

Thanks again, Geoff

Thanks to all for the comments, which with my own experience suggests that no cigar-socket-powered inflator is going to be up to the task. So my thought now is to rig something to be able to use my 17Ah jump start pack with a T-Max inflator (the 30A fused version, BA2641) as that should give me about 15 minutes of operating time without using more than half the battery capacity. However, a review on Amazon pulled me up short as the reviewer claimed the bit that fits onto the tyre valve has a metric thread that won't fit Schrader valves. I'd thus be grateful for someone who has one of these inflators to confirm that it fits standard Schrader valves (or if not, what needed to adapt it).

Thanks again, Geoff

Mine fits straight on schrader valves (it is a little fiddly in fairness... Due to the type of fitting)

It wouldn't be difficult to rig up a quality inflater if you wanted with a short whip and connector as the Tmax hose has a quick release fitting on the delivery hose.

My Chausson on a Ford chassis has no spare tyre and comes with a tyre inflator aerosol kit and 12v pump. I have inflated 2 tyres from 25psi upto 80psi no problems using the cigar lighter socket on the dashboard. Maybe because this is your emergency supply the cigar lighter has been upgraded by Ford to cope with the increased amps needed for the pump.

Just for reference IF you want to swap to a better quality/less fiddly inflator...

The quick release fittings on the, T-maxx are from memory 13KA.
A quick note for completeness: I bought the T-Max compressor and made up something to connect my jump start pack with the compressor. However, I must urge caution for anyone thinking of buying this unit. Although it worked fine on three of four of my car's tyres, it leaked on the fourth. I was able to get the tyre pumped up (after the leak had let out a lot of air) with a bit of faff. I pumped it up to just above working pressure and then checked the pressure with a digital gauge while slowly letting out enough air to get to the correct pressure.

Unfortunately, it hasn't got a chance with my motorhome as configured as my motorhome has "TPMS-style" valves that have short threads. There is only slightly more thread than a valve-cap with which to connect the (longer) screw-on connector supplied with the compressor, which thus won't form a seal. I haven't been able to find a suitable inflator and gauge (13KA to Schrader) with a quick search of the 'net and so I've written to the seller to ask their advice.

FWIW, I've got a 'dead' Halfords inflator, so I might need to replace the T-Max connector with the lever-lock connector from the Halfords unit. However, I don't want to do that unless I really have to because it will almost certainly invalidate the warranty.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back