Wheel nut torque settings

Mobilvetta

Hi does anyone know what the torque settings are for a 16" alloy wheel on the fiat Ducato chassis please, getting two new tyres fitted on Tuesday so I want to make sure they are torqued correctly. I can't find anything in the fiat handbook or the Mobilvetta handbook. Cheers.

That is so very worrying how some vehicle manufacturers dismiss out of hand the vital importance of vehicle safety!!

I am amazed that the required information isn't in the Fiat owners handbooks.

Think I may have found the answer using Google, unbelievable that fiat do not give you the information in the hand book.

Screenshot_2022-11-28-07-59-47-310_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_2022-11-28-08-03-37-601_com.android.chrome.jpg

I didn't think Fiat fitted alloy wheels and it was the converter who did that, so they should put the info in the converters manual.

So is there a battery operated drill type rechargeable tool with a gauge to set the torque.
Eg my bosch drill driver has a screwdriver setting and a 1 to 20 dial setting for screws.
I find "10 to 15 " good to not overtighten, no about strong hand value.
I await the obvious observations.....

I don’t know if there is a different torque for Alloy wheels, but my steel wheel Hymer (Fiat 2016) with 16 inch wheels is torqued to 180 nm front and rear.
This information was in the Hymer handbook supplied at purchase. The post you pasted from Motorhome facts doesn’t seem to state steel or alloy, if indeed there is any difference. Perhaps a call to an Alloy wheel retailer would be beneficial.

Davy

I don’t know if there is a different torque for Alloy wheels, but my steel wheel Hymer (Fiat 2016) with 16 inch wheels is torqued to 180 nm front and rear.
This information was in the Hymer handbook supplied at purchase. The post you pasted from Motorhome facts doesn’t seem to state steel or alloy, if indeed there is any difference. Perhaps a call to an Alloy wheel retailer would be beneficial.

Davy
The Alloy wheels are set at a lower torque. Burstner manual has settings for each type and size of wheel. I'll look it up and edit thsi post in a wee while.

EDIT: 15 & 16 inch Tomason & Imscher IC-Line Alloy 180Nm; Fiat X250 Light Alloy 160Nm; Fiat X250 Heavy Alloy 180Nm. Photo attached of Pages 216 & 217 of Burstner Manual

20221128_103139 Fiat Ducato Wheel Torque.jpg

Steve

Last edited:

Davy
There will be a different setting for all Alloy Wheels as overtightening could result in cracking the Alloy.

So is there a battery operated drill type rechargeable tool with a gauge to set the torque.
Eg my bosch drill driver has a screwdriver setting and a 1 to 20 dial setting for screws.
I find "10 to 15 " good to not overtighten, no about strong hand value.
I await the obvious observations.....
Doubtful! I may be a 17 stone weakling {worst of all worlds], but I had to have the wheels changed the morning of our departure to Spain in early March, The garage said to check the wheels for tightness after 100 miles [our first stop], and I couldn't move them with a socket attached to a short + medium extension bar, and my DeWalt electric screwdriver just refused to contemplate it ...

Steve

I will check that I can undo mine..
When I retrieve it from storage (next april !)
I know dewalt is the best but you appear to have used a normal drill rather than a dedicated car/truck device with torques settings !

I know dewalt is the best but you appear to have used a normal drill rather than a dedicated car/truck device with torques settings !
If the DeWalt could have raised its eyebrows in incredulity, it probably would have!

Steve

On reconsidering costs and usage .
A manual impact driver to loosen overtightened wheelnuts would do the job.
Tightening up after changing a wheel is ok with a long handled wrench.
Then we have breakdown insurance !

The Alloy wheels are set at a lower torque. Burstner manual has settings for each type and size of wheel. I'll look it up and edit thsi post in a wee while.

EDIT: 15 & 16 inch Tomason & Imscher IC-Line Alloy 180Nm; Fiat X250 Light Alloy 160Nm; Fiat X250 Heavy Alloy 180Nm. Photo attached of Pages 216 & 217 of Burstner Manual

View attachment 65091

Steve
That is so handy, thank you so much.

Milwaukee are the go to cordless drivers for removing wheel nuts etc. As you might expect they are expensive.

Surely the tyre fitters where you get the tyres fitted will know the correct torque

Knowing it and using it are two different things, and you still need to know it yourself to check after whatever miles.

Remember when tightening to do it across the face and in 2 or 3 steps, dont tighten one at a time and put some water proof grease on the threads, whell backing, quicksilver 24c prop grease works well.24c grease.png

Remember when tightening to do it across the face and in 2 or 3 steps, dont tighten one at a time and put some water proof grease on the threads, whell backing, quicksilver 24c prop grease works well.View attachment 65096
It is not normally recommended to use grease when setting the torque as the reduced friction will allow you to tighten the nut or bolt further, increasing the clamping force and stretching the fitting.

It is not normally recommended to use grease when setting the torque as the reduced friction will allow you to tighten the nut or bolt further, increasing the clamping force and stretching the fitting.
So im told, but you try changing a wheel thats been on over a year at midnight up some dark road, there will be some bad lingo used.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back