Which Class of MOT do I need ?

Whooooooosh

Hi,

I'm new to motorhoming having had mine for only 10 months. The MOT is due in March and I have absolutely no clue if I need a class 4, 5 or 7 MOT.

The van has a body type of MOTOR CARAVAN and a Revenue weight of 3650 KG Gross.

It is absolutely not used for transport of goods, only personal effects for camping.

Anyone know the MOT Class it needs ?

Hi,

I'm new to motorhoming having had mine for only 10 months. The MOT is due in March and I have absolutely no clue if I need a class 4, 5 or 7 MOT.

The van has a body type of MOTOR CARAVAN and a Revenue weight of 3650 KG Gross.

It is absolutely not used for transport of goods, only personal effects for camping.

Anyone know the MOT Class it needs ?
You will have a Class 4 MOT for that.
Be aware that not all MOT stations will be able to test due to the weight (their lift may not be rated with a sufficient safe working weight) so best to check first before booking.
FWIW, I take my >3.5t Motorhome to a garage that does MOTs on larger commercials as well as cars.

Try this site, it locates garages local to you. If you input your vehicle registration it should filter garages by those that can accommodate your motorhome. Link: bookmygarage

And the definition of a HCV....

"20 Definition of “heavy commercial vehicle” for the purposes of section 19.
(1)In section 19 of this Act, “heavy commercial vehicle” means any goods vehicle which has an operating weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes."

My 6.1m Autotrail Tracker RS doesn't feel like it weighs over 7.5 tonnes :)

Be aware that not all MOT stations will be able to test due to the weight (their lift may not be rated with a sufficient safe working weight) so best to check first before booking.
FWIW, I take my >3.5t Motorhome to a garage that does MOTs on larger commercials as well as cars.
It might not just be the weight -- the garage I now use for servicing and repairs can't lift the van high enough on their MOT lift and have to gain access to the underside via a pit when servicing. However, I get the van both MOT'd and serviced at the same time each year. For the MOT, they take it another garage a few miles up the road.
If you're in mainland UK and use it solely for recreational purposes, it should be a class 4 even if the V5 says "van with windows" as it's the use to which it is being put that matters. However, just to muddy the waters a little, if you use it for commercial purposes, it's a "living van" and would need a class 7 test... <fe>Doncha just know that DVSA makes complete sense!</fe>

It might not just be the weight -- the garage I now use for servicing and repairs can't lift the van high enough on their MOT lift and have to gain access to the underside via a pit when servicing.
very good point (y) Forgot about the height aspect.

However, I get the van both MOT'd and serviced at the same time each year. For the MOT, they take it another garage a few miles up the road.
I got a bit lucky. My usual garage would not test due to weight AND height (I remember that now you mentioned it), but the place across the road from them I now use does servicing AND uses a pit rather than a lift, so no height or weight issues, PLUS they charge less for the MOTs than the original one :)

If you're in mainland UK and use it solely for recreational purposes, it should be a class 4 even if the V5 says "van with windows" as it's the use to which it is being put that matters. However, just to muddy the waters a little, if you use it for commercial purposes, it's a "living van" and would need a class 7 test... <fe>Doncha just know that DVSA makes complete sense!</fe>
ref Class 7... I think that is for vans between 3t and 3.5t?
Over 3.5t and commerical and you are into VOSA testing territory, which can be a right nightmare if you converted a non-commercial (or at least non goods) base vehicle (such as a mini-bus) over 3.5t and your conversion is not complete so you cannot present as a Motor Caravan. (Guess how I know that!).

Thanks Wildebus for clearing that up. Its amazing the amount of misleading information people have put online.
Well, let's hope I am right!
I think so, though. I had to investigate quite deeply when I needed an MOT on a 4600kg ex-minibus part way through conversion and was not sure where I stood.
I actually found the most misleading advice was from VOSA themselves on the phone!

The best advice I got came from an actual VOSA tester who used to inspect & sign off Motor Caravan conversions (when that was still a requirement) and the MOT Test Centre I then went to, and it has all worked out correctly since then.

And the definition of a HCV....

"20 Definition of “heavy commercial vehicle” for the purposes of section 19.
(1)In section 19 of this Act, “heavy commercial vehicle” means any goods vehicle which has an operating weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes."

My 6.1m Autotrail Tracker RS doesn't feel like it weighs over 7.5 tonnes :)
Where are you based

What it says on the V5 regarding body type is irrelevant to the MOT.

Mine says LGV and I've always got a class 4 MOT (3.3 tonnes) not class 7.

They don't look at the V5, it is tested "as presented" This means the tester will check the internal layout and confirm it is not suitable for carrying commercial loads. You will then get an appropriate MOT class.

Probably simplest to find your nearest HGV testing stations, the ones close to me will all do larger motorhomes, try this

Or maybe not. The Salisbury bus place was insisting my mates converted DAF should be tested as HGV but after persevering and the tester arguing with VOSA on the phone saying they were wrong (😂) they tested it as class 4. They only went and charged him the HGV rate or over a hundred quid though. Mate was that glad to have got the MOT he wouldn’t go back to get a refund hahaha

Or maybe not. The Salisbury bus place was insisting my mates converted DAF should be tested as HGV but after persevering and the tester arguing with VOSA on the phone saying they were wrong (😂) they tested it as class 4. They only went and charged him the HGV rate or over a hundred quid though. Mate was that glad to have got the MOT he wouldn’t go back to get a refund hahaha
There's always the exception 🤣
One of our testing places was the local BT garage and depot, very friendly and happy to fit in non-BT work when space allowed. Mind you, getting the smell of creosote out of the van if they parked it next to the telegraph pole store took some time 😄😄

I thought below 3 ton was Class 4 mine is 3.5 ton and apparently Class 7 MOT.

Mine is 7.5 tonne class 4 mot for the last 3 years since I converted it. As previous replies tested as presented log book irrelevant.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back