Why only 1 electronic key on a Ducato?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3305
  • Start date

Deleted member 3305

So I have a Bessacarr on a Ducato base, no external lock on the passenger side and 1 electronic key + 1 non-electronic. I assume if I use the elec key to lock the alarm is activated? So what if my wife arrives back 1st and uses the non-elec key? Won't the alarm go off and how could she silence it? Thanks.

Alarm should set and cancel with either key so long as the second isn’t just an emergency key.

Didn't know that! Thanks.
Double check this is the case with yours before it could become an issue but that’s the way it’s been with all cars I have had with electronic keys 👍

I'll be interested in your findings on this as we too have a non electronic key as our spare.

If you ever want a second key then Fiat charge a fortune plus vat. I found that my local locksmith could provide one and programme it at less than half the Fiat price. Their key works perfectly. You might need to phone first to make sure they can provide a key.

If you ever want a second key then Fiat charge a fortune plus vat. I found that my local locksmith could provide one and programme it at less than half the Fiat price. Their key works perfectly. You might need to phone first to make sure they can provide a key.
Yes, me too. We had a cat 1 alarm fitted when we bought our van but it only worked with one electronic key, it was supplied with a silly little thing with buttons that didn't function fully for the hab door. I kicked up a stink with the dealer who was quoting £300 (I think) for an electronic Peugeot key. We went halves on a £70 one from a mobile locksmith.

We had similar experiences with trying to get the promised second set of keys for our Ducati based Autotrail. Andy, based in Keighley, West Yorkshire came up trumps at less than half the Fiat price +44 7823 344489

Another vote for checking out your local locksmith. It was the chip key for our lorry in my case, but really cheap compared to DAF.

On our 2015 Ducato based Dethleffs only the electronic key sets the alarm. The manual key certainly doesn't.

We used a mobile locksmith from Exeter. He cut the new key, programmed it and gave us the code in case we ever wanted another. Cost IIRC was about £100, ours is a Renault Master.

I recall being told that the key should be placed into the ignition once the doors open, to stop the alarm. Anyone like to test this?

Exact same issue as OP states arose yesterday. Here's what I found on 18 plate Citroen Relay. When I opened the van with the "spare" key (with no plippers) after locking it with the main key, the alarm went off and kept going until I started the engine with the spare. "Attempted break in" message on dash and a flashing alarm icon. But both quickly went away and all reverts to normal. Normal locking and unlocking with the main electronic key, so nothing disturbed or out of sorts. Doors can be locked with the spare key but this won't set the alarm.

Last edited:
Hmm, My 07 Relay self-build had 4 keys two fob ones and two standard, when I got this Fiat (07) I assumed there was a key missing, seems I was mistook.

Had a spare remote key cut for a Fiat yesterday took the guy ten minutes £160. He’s in Carlisle in the car park beside pc world curry’s he works out of a small cabin. Expensive but done it there and then excellent service.

Had a spare remote key cut for a Fiat yesterday took the guy ten minutes £160. He’s in Carlisle in the car park beside pc world curry’s he works out of a small cabin. Expensive but done it there and then excellent service.
Was it a full flippy key fob or a plain straight programmed key?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back