Wifi in the truck. How?

Ubi

Do you have the exact same router that is in his kit? Ubiquiti is dead easy to use but the micro router isn't like a normal router to setup and I use this stuff everyday, so if you do have the exact same router and find it easy to set up thaen prhaps you tell me what you charge and I get you to do the next one for me.

Regards,
Del

Don't forget this is only being used for really basic stuff Del, most of the settings are left as default and anything changed is in the video.

Ubi

Do you have the exact same router that is in his kit? Ubiquiti is dead easy to use but the micro router isn't like a normal router to setup and I use this stuff everyday, so if you do have the exact same router and find it easy to set up thaen prhaps you tell me what you charge and I get you to do the next one for me.

Regards,
Del
I do have the exact same same router (the Air Gateway LR) and did find it easy to set up. It is actually very logical and if you were to follow the video I linked to, you would find it straightforward.
I set it up a few times in fact as is my habit.... Do it a couple of times to get used to how to do so with a hard reset each time to start from known point. That way when in use, better familiarity to use it.
The biggest problem I had is the usual one I have ... remembering all the blooming passwords!

I do have the exact same same router (the Air Gateway LR) and did find it easy to set up. It is actually very logical and if you were to follow the video I linked to, you would find it straightforward.
I set it up a few times in fact as is my habit.... Do it a couple of times to get used to how to do so with a hard reset each time to start from known point. That way when in use, better familiarity to use it.
The biggest problem I had is the usual one I have ... remembering all the blooming passwords!

None of the kits on motorhomewifi.com I can see use the Ubiquiti airGateway LR, they all use the micro router (referred to has the "iBoost internal Micro Router" on their website) and this router is the key to powering the Ubiquiti Nanostation because it can be powered from 8 volt to 57 volt and has a PoE out lan connection.

Regards,
Del

I've got a feeling they used to use it, with an adapter for power, but I could be wrong!

None of the kits on motorhomewifi.com I can see use the Ubiquiti airGateway LR, they all use the micro router (referred to has the "iBoost internal Micro Router" on their website) and this router is the key to powering the Ubiquiti Nanostation because it can be powered from 8 volt to 57 volt and has a PoE out lan connection.

Regards,
Del
Wouldn't know as I don't have the Motorhomewifi kit. I have the Air Gateway LR Router.
You seem to imply you need the MHWifi kit to power the NanoStation? that is not the case - the Air Gateway as a specific POE Port for the NanoStation (in fact, IIRC, the Nanostation comes with a PSU to clip onto the Air Gateway). And it is this Air Gateway Router that I am now running off a DC supply.

PS. you asked "Do you have the exact same router that is in his kit? " - who do you mean when you say "his"? MotorhomeWiFi? maybe try the proper ubquiti kit instead if the MHiFI kit is overly complicated? As the interface is very similar for the router and the nanostation, it makes much more sense as well to do so, I would say.

Last edited:
The point is that the micro router can be powered by a standard 12v adapter and then provide PoE to the Nanostation, I agree the way that motorhomewifi.com set things up is over complicated but how I've got mine setup is much easier to use, like I said it's very configurable.
Regards,
Del

Last edited:
three and EE are both upgrading to 5g very soon and will be using each others aerials to send it out

(according to advertising blurps sent to the shop)

None of the kits on motorhomewifi.com I can see use the Ubiquiti airGateway LR, they all use the micro router (referred to has the "iBoost internal Micro Routern their website) and this router is the key to powering the Ubiquiti Nanostation because it can be powered from 8 volt to 57 volt and has a PoE out lan connection.

Regards,
Del
You said this before - buy WHY is it key? The Air Gateway LR powers the Nanostation in the same way.
And why do you keep mentionng the motorhomewifi kit? what is the relevence of this specific kit to the general question.

three and EE are both upgrading to 5g very soon and will be using each others aerials to send it out

(according to advertising blurps sent to the shop)
I'd like 4G from THREE :D (only have 3G from THREE where I am and that is a recent innovation!). EE is even worse.

You said this before - buy WHY is it key? The Air Gateway LR powers the Nanostation in the same way.
And why do you keep mentioning the Motorhome WiFi kit? what is the relevence of this specific kit to the general question.

My mistake for mentioning Motorhome WiFi, I thought someone else had mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Regards,
Del

There is a Company called Motorhome WiFi that sell a setup. They use some standard (but good) kit and do a bit of a custom setup as I understand it.

If you are ok with doing the setup yourself, then you could have a look at this thread I did a couple of years ago on Wildcamping using, as I found out later, essentially the same kit as Motorhome WiFi - https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/56568-wifi-not-mifi-installation.html

The last time I looked the price was a fair bit lower than I paid as well (which was still considerably cheaper than Motorhome WiFi) and I would consider it good value (It does rely on 240V power as standard but I am going to look at setting it up with DC Power when I get round to it)

Yes, it was mentioned indeed, but the thread was not about setting up Motorhome wifi kit, but options to get a Router and WiFi in a Campervan.
You also seem to imply the specific router Motorhomewifi supply MUST be used if you use the NanoStation. You keep repeating that router is "the key" if using the Nanostation over and over and I just don't understand WHY you think it is the key (especially if it is so hard to setup as you have said?) . The Air Gateway has a standard POE output and was the prefered router by Ubiquiti until replaced by their 'Cube' now; and in actual fact you could use any old Router you wanted to and then connect that to the NanoStation using a POE Adapter such as the one I bought on Amazon for under £5 for a pair.

I'm outta here on this discussion as nothing more to contribute when the discussion goes down a mantra of "must do's" without a legitimate reason.

Last edited:
Like I said, I'm sorry for mentioning the Motorhome WiFi kit, I was only trying to point out that if you don't have the skill set to set up all the various bits the Motorhome WiFi kit isn't a bad option and I promise I won't mention any of it again, as far as I'm concerned this thread is finished and my knowledge and help will be used in threads where it's appreciated.

Regards,
Del

if you don't have the skill set to set up all the various bits the Motorhome WiFi kit isn't a bad option
Regards,
Del

You're quite right Del, but it's also true that watching a video and following the steps can save you a decent amount of money.

You two are both right, and both helpful, each to a different group of people.

I've had this running on 12v for a while now, streaming a camera feed, and boy playing Xbox online games and it's been fine. So far, only when batts have been on charge.

For the 12v feed I cut up a cat 5 cable and used a cable joiner. And a cable tie to hold it in place lol.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back