Wifi in the truck. How?

It was in January this year, I have been using the FON network in France for a long time and this is the first time that I have had problems, there was no option to log in, after trying several times I couldn't get past that page so just used my mifi, I found it was the same in Germany but that was the first time that I had tried it there but I was surprised not to be able to log in in France, I will be interested to hear if anyone else logged on OK because it is the best way for internet access (for my needs ;))
were you using FON as part of your BT Broadband Package?
I've never used FON abroad but it did seem that for many years the FON aspect of BT was not really in tune with the 'real' FON. used to be they would promote FON but now it is hardly mentioned, so maybe some agreement has finally expired? (just musing, really don't know).

were you using FON as part of your BT Broadband Package?
I've never used FON abroad but it did seem that for many years the FON aspect of BT was not really in tune with the 'real' FON. used to be they would promote FON but now it is hardly mentioned, so maybe some agreement has finally expired? (just musing, really don't know).
I am with Virgin at home but I bought a Fonera in 2006 when they first started the idea, I have been using it ever since and as far as I know it should still work, I didn't want to waste too much time worried about the internet because I had other options

https://fon.com/

https://support.fon.com/hc/en-us/ar...onera-Where-can-I-find-support-documentation-

Fonera said:
Since 2015, the manufacture and sale of Foneras has been discontinued, and our shop closed early 2018.
Fonera said:
The only available alternative to enjoy all the benefits of the Fon Community as a new sharing member is to subscribe directly to any of our telco partners. They are listed by countries at this page.

If you are not willing to change your ISP, you can also enjoy the Fon network as a Visitor and buy easy access via our WiFi passes.

I do not want to change my ISP so if my fonera stops working I will be looking for friends/family with BT :cool:

It looks like BT and FON is still going strong, so using FON abroad for BT Customers (which I suspect would be the main route for FON access for UK folk) is still fully active.

What is BTWifi-with-FON?
Fon is the world’s first global wi-fi network and aims to give all its members access to wireless broadband wherever they are in the world. Since March 2009, all new BT Broadband customers are automatically members of the Fon community and agree to securely share a portion of their wi-fi bandwidth through a separate channel on their hub.

Sharing your wi-fi with Fon is safe and secure, and you won't even notice when others are connected because Fon only uses a tiny portion of your bandwidth.

In return, you can use the world's largest wi-fi network for free. That's over 20 million wi-fi hotspots around the world.

Participating BT Hubs are known as BTWifi-with-Fon hotspots.

How do I use BT Wi-fi, find hotspots and get online?

The motorhome wifi thing does exactly what you've described in the quote above, so I think I'm back to that - but just buying the bits separately and configuring it myself.
If you don’t need the whole MotorhomeWiFi kit you can buy the bits individually from Solwise and save some money.

Are you members of Fon or of BT Fon?
Though I guess if there is nowhere to log in, it's a bit moot.

We are members of Fon and until recently used a Fonera router at home as is required if you are not with BT. However the Fonera router has died and replacements are no longer available or supported in the UK, i.e. you can now only use Fon if you are with BT. That said, we have a Fon profiles loaded on our iPhones with our old Fon passwords and they are still picking up UK and French hotspots.
Dave

I don`t bother with BT Fon anymore as the Three data signal is more than good enough both here and abroad.

If you don’t need the whole MotorhomeWiFi kit you can buy the bits individually from Solwise and save some money.
wildebus on WC said:
It is indeed :). The Loco M2 to be exact.
I think this is the same unit that Motorhomewifi sell as the iBoost when I looked at their website again (going on appearance, as no details specified for the iBoost)
It is exactly the same as the motorhome wifi unit, I leave mine permanently mounted on an old satellite wind up unit so that I can direct it from inside to get a strong signal, I had reset it so lost the motorhome wifi software and to put that back in you have to push a paper clip in a hole for the reset switch
MHW said:
Instructions for resetting the Antenna Panel

1.) To reset the antenna panel (not the router) you will require a small paperclip to press and hold the reset switch located in the base of the unit. It's not quite as simple as 'sticking the pin in the hole' you need to line up with the micro-switch which is fairly delicate. When you do so and apply press you will feel it "click".

Sit the antenna panel in such a way that you can see the lights and access the switch. Insert the paperclip and press the switch. After 8-10 seconds the 4 signal strength lights will illuminate. Do this until you see the 4 the lights on the back flash all together once and immediately release.

If you see the lights blinking in pairs for longer then 30 seconds you have held the reset switch for too long - please turn off and repeat.
unfortunately I put it back up to test it and forgot to seal the joints with silicon again and water got in, it had been up there 3yrs without problem before, when I stripped it I found the name Ubiquiti NanoStation on the inside so I ordered one from Amazon, I installed the Loco M2 with the original software and it works exactly as before

It was in January this year, I have been using the FON network in France for a long time and this is the first time that I have had problems, there was no option to log in, after trying several times I couldn't get past that page so just used my mifi, I found it was the same in Germany but that was the first time that I had tried it there but I was surprised not to be able to log in in France, I will be interested to hear if anyone else logged on OK because it is the best way for internet access (for my needs ;))
That's worrying, because I'll be relying on SFR/Fon working OK from late March.

That's worrying, because I'll be relying on SFR/Fon working OK from late March.
According to the Fon website you can still access the network if you are a customer of BT, I might have had a problem but until someone else tries since the start of this year we will not know

FON said:
BT is our partner in the United Kingdom. If you’re not a BT broadband customer yet, subscribe now so you can activate Fon!

Once you have subscribed to any BT Broadband package, you can connect through the BT WiFi app or on WiFi captive portals that will pop up when you click on your browser after selecting any “BTWiFi-with-Fon” signal. You will have access to all “BTWiFi-with-Fon” hotspots in the UK and to Fon’s global WiFi network. When abroad, connect to our hotspots and avoid international data roaming charges by using Fon WiFi.

According to the Fon website you can still access the network if you are a customer of BT, I might have had a problem but until someone else tries since the start of this year we will not know
Not a BT customer, but have an active Fonera, so I still have access to the network (it's worked in the UK this month) - just need it to work in France as well!

Let me know how it goes with the 12v :)

Ok, the Voltage booster I intend to use with the Air Gateway LR Router didn't arrive today, so I used a different one instead for the test.

Used this one - https://amzn.to/2Tsvkb2.
Rather than being just a regulator, it is a Buck-Boost unit so you can set the voltage you want and it won't vary as the battery voltage goes higher (I got this for my Amazon Alexa that wants a steady 15V DC in). It is neat as well in that it has a display you can use to set the voltage and don't need a multimeter to set it,

Buck-Boost Regulator
by David, on Flickr
Still set at 15V and the current is a remarkably low 0.2A - so just 3W! This is running the Air Gateway Router AND the NanoStation, both active (I am connected to the Air Gateway as I type this :geek: )

So took one of the RG45 POE Adapters I got from Amazon, chopped the jackplug off and connected to the output of the regulator; then plugged the RJ45 Female Socket into the Air Gateway RJ45 Plug and started away no problems (the network cable I have from Router to the NanoStation on this test rig is very short mind).

2019-01-29_07-33-23
by David, on Flickr

So looks like can adapt to run on DC very easily (y)

I will be using the other Regulator when it arrives and set it to around 24V to match the AC Adaptors output. I think with the much longer cable to the NanoStation in the usual setup, I could risk power-outs when the voltage goes low whilst the Inverter is running, so not worth running on the basic 12V Leisure Battery sustem directly.
PS. The RJ45 Plugs on the POE adapters are just standard 4-wire configuations so cannot be used for any POE use. They are purely for Data.

Ref this statement:
FON said:

BT is our partner in the United Kingdom. If you’re not a BT broadband customer yet, subscribe now so you can activate Fon!

Once you have subscribed to any BT Broadband package, you can connect through the BT WiFi app or on WiFi captive portals that will pop up when you click on your browser after selecting any “BTWiFi-with-Fon” signal. You will have access to all “BTWiFi-with-Fon” hotspots in the UK and to Fon’s global WiFi network. When abroad, connect to our hotspots and avoid international data roaming charges by using Fon WiFi.

If you take out a BT Mobile contract you also have the same FON access as the BT Broadband Contract provides.

That's really neat :)

I think with the much longer cable to the NanoStation in the usual setup, I could risk power-outs when the voltage goes low whilst the Inverter is running, so not worth running on the basic 12V Leisure Battery sustem directly.

At 300mA, I'm not sure you'll loose to much with the length, but what you're doing is making sure it won't be a problem :)

When I get mine set up I might put a long cable in and measure the voltage at the radio to see how much difference it makes.

The regulator I bought for this job arrived today so switched to that and set it up to output 22.50V (chose this as if the voltage output rises as the battery (input) voltage rises, it will max out at 24V - the reg should be steady at 22.50 though).

I've got a bunch of these couplers -
31bo1vQJ2tL.jpg

So I thought I would disassemble one and solder on the +ve and -ve wires from the Regulator to the appropriate pins on one end of the coupler and use the other end as the connector to the Air Gateway. Seems to work ok :)

One "gotcha" that has to be addressed .... the RG45 Plug on the Router has the fixing clip removed (not sure the correct name - it is the bit that gets broken off all the time!). The official POE Injector and Router push together and go into a holder that keeps them securely together. As that is not used now, I found I had to use duct tape to keep the new POE injector socket in place on the Gateway. In a vehicle they are bound to work loose with vibration and movement otherwise.

Last edited:
The regulator I bought for this job arrived today so switched to that and set it up to output 22.50V (chose this as it is rises voltage as the battery voltage rises, it will max out at 24V - the reg should be steady at 22.50 though).

I've got a bunch of these couplers -
31bo1vQJ2tL.jpg

So I thought I would disassemble one and solder on the +ve and -ve wires from the Regulator to the appropriate pins on one end of the coupler and use the other end as the connector to the Air Gateway. Seems to work ok :)

One "gotcha" that has to be addressed .... the RG45 Plug on the Router has the fixing clip removed (not sure the correct name - it is the bit that gets broken off all the time!). The official POE Injector and Router push together and go into a holder that keeps them securely together. As that is not used now, I found I had to use duct tape to keep the new POE injector socket in place on the Gateway. In a vehicle they are bound to work loose with vibration and movement otherwise.

Cool. Again on that link, they were talking about a screw through the Jack to hold it in place.

I have built my own wifi booster kit using exactly the same parts as the iBoost Pro D8 Directional System on motorhomewifi.com and even buying them at trade price the parts cost just over £100.00, the micro router is the key to the kit, it can be powered using anything between 8 and 57 volts DC and it has the passive PoE out required to power the Nano Station, it runs it's own operating system which is very configurable but not for the faint hearted so if you're anything but an expert in router technology the best way forward is to just buy the kit off motorhomewifi.com because the £59.99 they are adding to the price of the parts is worth every penny and saves a lot of headaches.

Regards,
Del

Not sure if the Trade prices worked ;) I bought from Amazon and was under £100 :D (other places were a lot pricier at the time I have to say)

I would argue your other point and say that you absolutely do NOT need to be an expert in Router Technology either. If someone were to follow the process in the video I linked to it is very doable for anyone who is reasonably computer literate.

I have far more ubiquiti kit at home than should be in a small house , so have done some configuration of their kit. The video is really good, the masks always confuse me, so nice to know what I need to do there:)

Ubi
I would argue your other point and say that you absolutely do NOT need to be an expert in Router Technology either. If someone were to follow the process in the video I linked to it is very doable for anyone who is reasonably computer literate.

Do you have the exact same router that is in his kit? Ubiquiti is dead easy to use but the micro router isn't like a normal router to setup and I use this stuff everyday, so if you do have the exact same router and find it easy to set up thaen prhaps you tell me what you charge and I get you to do the next one for me.

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back