Window and skylight advice

DrJuju

Ok so it’s time decide on what to do about windows.
Our original plan was to have a non opening window on the sliding door
An opening window on the other side of the van
A normal size (400mm x 400mm) opening skylight without fan
Two windows on the opening rear doors
All windows will have privacy glass.
Our revised plan is to possibly not have the windows in the back doors but to have a large skylight (600mm) right at the back of the van by the doors above where the fixed bed will be.
Also we are thinking of fully opening windows ( not just sliding ones) on both sides
Has anyone got this configuration and if so how have they found it?
Can anyone recommend a skylight (at least 600mm) or any particular windows that they are pleased with?
Can anyone recommend a window fitting service in Cornwall?
Many thanks!
Pete, Deb and Gracie

This is what we have which might suit you.
1 We don't have any rear windows - the opening type tend to leak and let in dust. The non opening ones are as far as I know only available single glazed so not so good in cold weather and attract condensation.
2 We have a marine hatch over the sitting / bed area. See here
https://www.marinesuperstore.com/hatches/window-hatches/bainbridge-storm-hatch
These are very tough. lockable and completely waterproof if mounted properly. Designed to be submerged in Atlantic storms. You can get a little condensation around the edge frame. You need a separate blind. I would think a boatyard could fit one of these.
You can get out of a 600mm hatch which is a good safety feature and the bed will make that easy in emergency or just to get on the roof if needed..
3 We have fully opening windows. Sliding windows tend to clog up and have less area that opens. The only place to use a sliding window is on the van where the sliding door opens. I like fully opening windows as you can have them open in the rain without the inside of the van getting wet.
4 For the rest of the windows there is the choice between single glazed glass windows and double glazed acrylic windows. Seitz windows are the most commonly used acrylic double glazed windows. They come with blinds and flyscreens. One disadvantage is they are slotted around the interior frames. Insects find their way through these. I recommend sealing these up with good quality tape before installation. In theory the slots are for ventilation but other means of insect proof ventilation can be provided elsewhere.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back