Winter charging

Vanterrier

As winter approaches I wonder if I need to rethink how my batteries are kept charged.
For the first time this winter I will be able to connect via ehu and forget about it. But, should I also leave the solar panel connected or disconnect it when on ehu? Does it matter?
K ;)

As winter approaches I wonder if I need to rethink how my batteries are kept charged.
For the first time this winter I will be able to connect via ehu and forget about it. But, should I also leave the solar panel connected or disconnect it when on ehu? Does it matter?
K ;)
I don't think it will matter. On the mains side, as long as the Charger is a Smart Charger and goes into Float Mode when battery charged, then leave that on.
In winter, the duration the solar will be active is so little, it will make little difference.

It 100% doesn’t matter, however what you probably should give consideration to is the power use by the vans built in mains charger especially if you intend to leave it plugged in 24*7

Another concern might be ventilation as well for said charger depending on where it is in the van and how hot it gets in use.

Both my Votronic Vac 15/30 duo chargers have noisy but effective built in fans and the chargers permanently draw 40w even with the batteries on float that’s an excessive waste of electricity for long term use so when I do want to use mains to maintain my batteries long term I use a Ctek mx5 instead as the Ctek only draws 3w.

hth

It 100% doesn’t matter, however what you probably should give consideration to is the power use by the vans built in mains charger especially if you intend to leave it plugged in 24*7

Another concern might be ventilation as well for said charger depending on where it is in the van and how hot it gets in use.

Both my Votronic Vac 15/30 duo chargers have noisy but effective built in fans and the chargers permanently draw 40w even with the batteries on float that’s an excessive waste of electricity for long term use so when I do want to use mains to maintain my batteries long term I use a Ctek mx5 instead as the Ctek only draws 3w.

hth
All good reasons to use victron chargers.

No problem with solar and charger running together, hope its a smart charger/ no timmer required, and not one of those ancient black boxes.
Make sure it charges the starter battery to, if not fit a heavy link and switch with a 200ah relay.
The above can also be used to start the engine linking all batts together, remember to switch of once going or camping.

I never even considered mains consumption charges, good point.
As my solar is in clear sunlight with no shading, I might just keep it on solar only and monitor the batteries. I can simply plug into ehu if the weather is dire for any length of time.
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
K ;)

Depending on how much solar and batteries you have and how long the sun is on them you might not need EHU at all unless there is a large drain on them I had 100w/250ah and just the clock and radio connected on the drive and both batteries were fine using Clive Motts bridging link.

link
Clive%20Motts%20bridging%20fuse.JPG

I have used this on a few vans, simple to set up, just needs a small fuse where it goes through metal bulkheads in case of chafing cheaper than B2B

Thanks
My setup is a 100W solar panel to a 40amp mppt controller then to 160Ahr AGM battery linked via a VSR to the 95 Ahr Varta lead acid van battery.
Only clock and flashing battery monitor on as far as I know.
K ;)

Depending on how much solar and batteries you have and how long the sun is on them you might not need EHU at all unless there is a large drain on them I had 100w/250ah and just the clock and radio connected on the drive and both batteries were fine using Clive Motts bridging link.

link
Clive%20Motts%20bridging%20fuse.JPG

I have used this on a few vans, simple to set up, just needs a small fuse where it goes through metal bulkheads in case of chafing cheaper than B2B
Very bad idea, if you forget and start the fuse will blow, 200ah relay and switch with heavy battery cable is the way.

Very bad idea, if you forget and start the fuse will blow, 200ah relay and switch with heavy battery cable is the way.
Not really Trevor, I just carry a spare fuse or three anyway, I did once use mega cables and connect in the starter battery too, but it was overkill as I didn't really need so many amps.

Solar panel only has done me fine these last 10 yrs. Even in Scotland.
We have 180w Solar Panel feeding a 120Ah Lithium Battery and it has been a struggle since mid November to get the latter past the Absorption Phase. The best Solar during December has been 30Wh and that has kept the Lithium at around 13.4v, meaning that the Battery Relay has struggled to feed the Starter Battery. Hoping to get the problem fixed next week at Wildebus

Steve

Not really Trevor, I just carry a spare fuse or three anyway, I did once use mega cables and connect in the starter battery too, but it was overkill as I didn't really need so many amps.
I use mine to charge of alt when driving, or to let the mains charger do all bats at home from mains, handy for jump starting to.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back