Wiring up a inverter to ehl.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

On our old van this was easy...just ran the 13amp plug lead from inverter to ehl point which was in a locker, job done and removed if we went on site with electricity..

Our new van is a panel van .
My question is how to connect to the ehl lead in van so i don't have to keep runing a cable from inverter to outside hook up point
Can i just spur into cable that goes to out side hook up point. But that leave outside hook pins live...
Also would it damage inverter when on site hook up .if the lead from inverter was still in ..

On our old van this was easy...just ran the 13amp plug lead from inverter to ehl point which was in a locker, job done and removed if we went on site with electricity..

Our new van is a panel van .
My question is how to connect to the ehl lead in van so i don't have to keep running a cable from inverter to outside hook up point
Do you really need every socket available when no EHU? just fit a couple of dedicated sockets and run a cable from them to the inverter.
If you do, just get a proper solution like a Victron Multiplus which will also give you decent mains charging and a number of other benefits.

Can i just spur into cable that goes to out side hook up point. But that leave outside hook pins live...
Defiantly NOT the way to do it on multiple levels.

Also would it damage inverter when on site hook up .if the lead from inverter was still in ..
BANG!!

Do you really need every socket available when no EHU? just fit a couple of dedicated sockets and run a cable from them to the inverter.
If you do, just get a proper solution like a Victron Multiplus which will also give you decent mains charging and a number of other benefits.

Defiantly NOT the way to do it on multiple levels.

BANG!!
Thanks once again for your great advice.
I'll run new cable from inverter to the sockets we want live off inverter

I’ve got a renogy 2000watt inverter and it has a mains lead you connect to you main supply and as soon as you plug your mains lead into van it automatically swap over for battery leads so all you socket are on mains

Thanks once again for your great advice.
I'll run new cable from inverter to the sockets we want live off inverter
Best way I think in terms of simplicity and cost.

Just following on from one of your possible thoughts ... You mention spuring in to cable, and I guess the idea there would have been to make it easy to switch between the two supplies - EHU or Inverter?
Just to remind anyone ... If the output of an Inverter gets connected to a live AC supply, you will almost certainly get a very large bang and a cooked inverter - and it doesn't actually matter if the inverter is on or not.
The way to do that would be be get a Transfer Switch - either Manual or Automatic/Sensing. This will switch Live and Neutral outputs between the two different inputs.
That is a popular option and I used to sell quite a few ATS's to do this.

I'm kind of intrigued by this.

Surely this means the leisure battery charger would also be powered by the inverter, which would be fed from the leisure battery, which would be powered by the inverter, etc ...

So unless you remembered to turn your charger off each time you'd soon end up with a discharged battery.

I'm kind of intrigued by this.

Surely this means the leisure battery charger would also be powered by the inverter, which would be fed from the leisure battery, which would be powered by the inverter, etc ...

So unless you remembered to turn your charger off each time you'd soon end up with a discharged battery.
Yes correct ,I had sargent charger on old van off at all times, 100w solar kept eg topped.

The way to do that would be be get a Transfer Switch - either Manual or Automatic/Sensing. This will switch Live and Neutral outputs between the two different inputs.
That is a popular option and I used to sell quite a few ATS's to do this.

Something like this?

Maybe the extra contacts could be used to automatically connect/disconnect the charger too...

Jadeshay Automatic Transfer Switch, Circuit Breaker AC Switching Power Supply Uninterrupted Dual Power Automatic Transfer Switch with 2 Way Controller, ZGQ5-100/2P 220V https://amzn.eu/d/f7Aaaf1

Something like this?

Maybe the extra contacts could be used to automatically connect/disconnect the charger too...

Jadeshay Automatic Transfer Switch, Circuit Breaker AC Switching Power Supply Uninterrupted Dual Power Automatic Transfer Switch with 2 Way Controller, ZGQ5-100/2P 220V
Thanks,, going to run new sockets cables direct inverter .easier fir my pay grade.🤣🤣

Something like this?

Jadeshay Automatic Transfer Switch, Circuit Breaker AC Switching Power Supply Uninterrupted Dual Power Automatic Transfer Switch with 2 Way Controller, ZGQ5-100/2P 220V https://amzn.eu/d/f7Aaaf1
in principle, yes.
in reality, that looks very dodgy to me and I would neither fit it or ever recommend it.

Yes, exactly. I ran two independant socket from the inverter to use for the microwave and another for general use in a convenient spot. I just have to switch on the inverter, which has an extended on/off button and usage gauge, conveniently placed so it won't be switched on accidently.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back