Workarounds for overhang scraping

Ellendale

Workarounds for overhang scraping

We've never taken our Autotrail Miami onto a ferry - anybody have any problems with overhang and the back end scraping on the ramps etc? If so what's your recommendation? I have heard of people fitting small wheels to the end of the chassis.......

We’ve only used ferries to Ireland, but I would think the Channel ones are the same. Had a 7.75 and now a 7.5m Motorhome and never a problem. The Besacarr had a huge over hang too.
You could ask the ferry company if it is likely to be a problem.

Not had a problem with overhang on a ferry..But take care on roads with adverse cambers going into petrol forecourts (and more !)
WRT ferries P&O (in my case standing for P155ed and Off) did send me up a narrow twisty ramp onto what was really a car deck. No problem but not pleasant and not necessary. I complained bitterly got the standard "all our staff are fully trained" platitude. Complained again and added that I would try to avoid using them again. Yet another inadequate reply.
So for France we are now 100% tunnel based. I guess the Dover routes are always likely to be the worst. Have done other routes ( Ireland and Scandinavia without any concerns )

Last edited:
I caught the rear a couple of times on the previous van, but the towbar was the lowest point so I wasn’t to concerned.

We also have a towbar so our bodywork is protected and the chassis takes what little load is on the towbar - it is usual just a scrape. The Big fery ports are not a problem as they have long ramps which rise anf fall with the tide and the transition angle is slight.

If you are worried about clearance ask staff to monitor as you board. Alternatively, if there is room to manoeuvre take the ramp at an angle then one rear wheel will be lifted before the back-end reaches the ramp - I often see this technique used on Greek ferries, or they put down thick mats which form a double transition, each being less than the single one - we had to reshape our drive surface to achieve the same to get the MH to the back yard.

Geoff

My Autotrail Scout can't get on the Torpoint Ferry (see attachment) at some tide states without grounding the overhang. The local busses had the same problem but the bus company has created a 'cut-up' at the bottom of the overhang, thus increasing the departure angle and their drivers have been trained to approach the boarding ramp at an angle. FWIW, I'm thinking of fitting a towbar to my MH to mitigate likely damage from grounding the overhang. I'm also hoping that this won't be an issue on the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry later this year!

torferry.jpg

Attachments

• torferry.jpg
    torferry.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3
I caught the rear of my new one when going off the Truckline ferry at Dublin, just touching but now I have fitted helper airbags under the springs so can pump it up a fair bit to clear almost anything.

Me also in the never have to worry about on the big ferries camp. Just go and enjoy!!!

That been said the times you can gat caught out other times and I have. When you are coming down a steep road that meets a level road at a junction.
Also reversing into a road like this to turn around. These happened with a slightly higher rear as air bags fitted.

I have a full width protection / tow bar fitted just lower than rear plastic bumper so when I hear it scrape I just stop and re-manoeuvre as needed.
Once home a bit black paint and as good as new. This way no stress or damage to my van.

Finally I would be against fitting any sort of wheels at the back as firstly you will loose a bit of clearance , and if they do come into play and support your van I
guess would cause a lot of stress damage as I guess it was not designed to be lifted at the very back whichever chassis you are on

One reason we got rid of Adria Matrix was because it used to scrape the tow bar on the road. Wouldn’t have wanted to go on ferry with it. The other reason the toilet cubicle was so small you couldn’t shut the door when seated on the loo. It was two things that were top of list when looking for new MH.

Paulmold;n23001 said:
Helper wheels are available from Roadpro.
The add on wheels look good but they lower the clearance by 15cm! I think I will stick to a quick grimace when the back end scrapes- which is not very often. The chassis takes the scrape and keeps the bodywork clear and I just check it out later- so far no damage.

Hi depending on the ferry and the ramp if its like the one in Goeffl picture approach the ramp at a angle that way you are a bit side on to the ramp.

"My Autotrail Scout can't get on the Torpoint Ferry (see attachment) at some tide states without grounding the overhang. The local busses had the same problem but the bus company has created a 'cut-up' at the bottom of the overhang, thus increasing the departure angle and their drivers have been trained to approach the boarding ramp at an angle. FWIW, I'm thinking of fitting a towbar to my MH to mitigate likely damage from grounding the overhang. I'm also hoping that this won't be an issue on the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry later this year!"

I managed to take an 8.2 metre Burstner on the Harwich to Hook of Holland Ferry ferry last year without a problem

jagmanx;n22788 said:
Not had a problem with overhang on a ferry..But take care on roads with adverse cambers going into petrol forecourts (and more !)
WRT ferries P&O (in my case standing for P155ed and Off) did send me up a narrow twisty ramp onto what was really a car deck. No problem but not pleasant and not necessary. I complained bitterly got the standard "all our staff are fully trained" platitude. Complained again and added that I would try to avoid using them again. Yet another inadequate reply.
So for France we are now 100% tunnel based. I guess the Dover routes are always likely to be the worst. Have done other routes ( Ireland and Scandinavia without any concerns )

Before the two new ships entered service, one of the directors of P&O took his twin axle Dethleffs MH up & down the top deck a few times to prove it's suitability for MHs

Malcolm

I have a substantial metal rear bumper fitted after I saw the damage to a motor home when it stopped at a zebra crossing and a mini went into the back at a low speed.
Worked VERY well when I stopped for a deer that ran out in front of me and the car behind hit me hit me. Just bent it back. ( needed a hydraulic RAM!! )
I have twice caught the rear end on hairpin bends in Norway and the bumper scraps but no damage also on a sharp ramp on roadworks in Belgium.
NEVER had any trouble on ferries, from large cross channel to very small 3 vehicle ones in Finland.
I now have a smart stainless steel on, painted ones rust.

The problem adding towbar ads a lot of weight to vehicle- and if you’ve not much payload, takes a lot more of it away.

As was mentioned earlier, helper airbags fitted to the suspension can help a lot, and also improve ride. These can be quickly inflated more than usual to increase clearance further if bording a difficult ferry for example. Without these I would be unable to access my drive at home.

UPDATE! My fears are grounded (sorry for the pun!). I already have AirRide on the rear suspension and a towbar, both fitted by Towtal so will dispense with the thought of the little wheels at the back and adopt the (new to me) practice of angle of approach. When we get to go on a ferry I'll update with results! Thanks for all the comments and advice.

On our Miami, we have air suspension on the rear axle, as I suspect you have. I carry a small compressor, to pump up the airbags, if I feel unsure about any situation.
You should have a Schrader valve in the R/Nearside locker to adjust the pressure. Lifts your a*rse end a treat!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back