Wrong upholstery in my new-to-me MH

gasgas

We have just bought a fifteen month old Chausson. It is the top-of-the-range-deluxe-sooper-dooper-much-better-than-sliced-bread 170 HP automatic version. I thought the upholstery was a bit not-very-special when we looked at it. Having bought it I looked at the glossy brochure about all their models, and saw that the Basic motorhomes have a plain grey 'standard basic' upholstery but that the sooperdooper top models come with a different pattern upholstery. Today we went to a dealer and saw another identical model and it had the sooperdooper upholstery which ours should have come with. It was far superior to ours, much more comfortable to sit on, and obviously better foam inside as well as having a pattern woven into the covers, where ours has none. I'm not bothered about whether it has a pattern or not, but I have a question: what chance have I of getting Chausson to supply the correct upholstery for my model, and how should I go about asking them to supply it? They of course will say a) you are not the original owner so go forth and multiply, and b) it's over 12 months old so there's no warranty (or however long the warranty is, I think it is actually more than 12 months.
How should I go about getting the right stuff? I guess that someone like Regal Furnishing would do it for a price, I might have to end up going there and paying them.

We have just bought a fifteen month old Chausson. It is the top-of-the-range-deluxe-sooper-dooper-much-better-than-sliced-bread 170 HP automatic version. I thought the upholstery was a bit not-very-special when we looked at it. Having bought it I looked at the glossy brochure about all their models, and saw that the Basic motorhomes have a plain grey 'standard basic' upholstery but that the sooperdooper top models come with a different pattern upholstery. Today we went to a dealer and saw another identical model and it had the sooperdooper upholstery which ours should have come with. It was far superior to ours, much more comfortable to sit on, and obviously better foam inside as well as having a pattern woven into the covers, where ours has none. I'm not bothered about whether it has a pattern or not, but I have a question: what chance have I of getting Chausson to supply the correct upholstery for my model, and how should I go about asking them to supply it? They of course will say a) you are not the original owner so go forth and multiply, and b) it's over 12 months old so there's no warranty (or however long the warranty is, I think it is actually more than 12 months.
How should I go about getting the right stuff? I guess that someone like Regal Furnishing would do it for a price, I might have to end up going there and paying them.
how can you be sure the previous owner didn't swap over all the cushions? might have had a mate with the cheaper van and as he was selling it anyway, swapped them with his friend?

long way of saying Chausson are unlikely to be interested.

I doubt that the previous owner swapped over the cushions, this is a bit of a wierd model, the lounge is very different to normal. I fear you are right of course, here goes £2k I guess . . . . . Regal are 45 mins up the M1 from me, I forsee a visit . .
I might add that this is the second of two French made motorhomes and both of them show a distinct lack of interest on the part of the manufacturers to build them properly . . . . . . .but I wanted an automatic, and in that case you have to choose from the limited number available.

Could be the Dealer swaped them or it was a special order. The previous owner might not have noticed. What you saw is what you bought its that simple really. If you went to ourt they would ask if what you saw in the showroom is what you finished up with.

One thing springs to mind, are you certain it is the model you think it is? Sorry if it’s an obviously stupid question but I know people change badges on cars to make the look something they are not why not motorhomes. Of course, if you have bought it as a super dooper model and it did turn out it was rebadged more basic then you probably would have a claim

I stand corrected and confused. It is called a Chausson 630 Exclusive Line. Looking at the brochure the basic model is called First Line, then there is Titanium VIP, then Titanium Premium, but mine is an Exclusive Line. No wonder I don't know!
It turns out that my Exclusive Line is so exclusive that it is not included in the product brochure detailing (most of ) the models.
Anyway I do have the correct upholstery so Chausson can sleep soundly tonight without incurring my wrath.

It is pretty rubbish though, it's the same upholstery as the First Line models so I expect to be visiting Regal Furnishing tomorrow. Both Titanium VIP and Titanium Premium have the decent stuff.
Strangely although I have the basic upholstery I do have some of the features exclusive to the top of the range Titanium Premium models. Ford 170HP engine, 16" wheels, Polyester side walls and under floor, coded front and rear bumpers, auto wipers, lights, turning-corner lights, wraparound cab blinds, central locking on 'luxury' entrance door (har har), wooden shower duck board (which appears to have split the shower tray so that will be going back to the dealer for repair. Grrr), gas external socket, shower external socket and various other cupboards and drawers. So I hope you will excuse me for thinking I have the top of the range model, seeing all the "And More" features in the brochure I have got.

Anyway as much as we would have liked this to be our last motorhome I don't think it will be. What I really really want is a Mercedes auto chassis with a coachbuilt body the same width as the cab, and a fixed island bed. It doesn't exist . . . . . . . unless you know better! The Burstner Nexxo Van T700 comes closest and I ordered one in March for delivery in June, which came and went and now it's supposed to be October - but which year is not defined . . . . .

Its the Hymer Venture S you are after then, was thinking I may get 2, one for me and one for the Mrs :)

I just cannot fathom out why a van with windows and a load of boxes inside is worth £197k. I am struggling to come to terms with used MHs that cost £70k. But I want an automatic, which in reality means a nearly new one, the Fiat Comfortmatics being next to useless from what I hear. The Ford has an excellent torque converter box, the others have DSGs which need a quite expensive dealer-only service now and again.
And I don't like the new fad of Li-Lo inflatable roofs. I would rather have something that will still be working in 20 yrs time. Specially my body.

Anyway if you got two you would have to pay extra to have your wife's one wrapped in Pink. Otherwise you would be trying to get into the wrong one.
By the way I believe that if you get out of a Sprinter, shut the doors and leave the keys inside, it will lock itself. So you would have to secrete a spare set of keys somewhere outside the bodywork where you could get at them in such a scenario.

Ah.
Prices start from £197540 however by the time you've added options it will be a little more.

Presumably 'A little more' is another little £100k here and there. How about a mountaineering kit to get into bed. And in the middle of the night, you need an assistant to guide you down the mountain from the bed to the bog.
I think I saw one of these at the Erwin Hymer centre in Derbyshire. That's an impressive place, to match the prices - although they do have campers from about £60k.

Ah.
Prices start from £197540 however by the time you've added options it will be a little more.

Presumably 'A little more' is another little £100k here and there. How about a mountaineering kit to get into bed. And in the middle of the night, you need an assistant to guide you down the mountain from the bed to the bog.
I think I saw one of these at the Erwin Hymer centre in Derbyshire. That's an impressive place, to match the prices - although they do have campers from about £60k.
Now you are just getting picky, you never mentioned prices just said a mere with auto box lol

Something in what you say about locking yourself out, mine is tased on a rear wheel drive Sprinter 316, registered Jan 2007 but chassis cab manufactured June 2005 (in-between time was conversion I guess). Its got the SprintShift 6 speed gearbox (ambulance box) by the way and its excellent. If I use the button on the dash to lock the doors like I always do I make sure I have the keys in my pocket when I get out as the cab will lock itself after a set time. If I leave the cab unlocked by the button of the dash and get out it stay unlocked until I lock with remote or key. This must have been a feature for some time not just new ones

Years ago I had a VW LT25 Autosleeper, a very rare thing. When I went to get spare parts, this was before computerisation of reg numbers. I would give the year it was made (1993) and they would sell me the wrong part. On investigation it turned out that the van had been made in 1987, it was shipped here for conversion and while it was in the South East of England a tree fell on it and crushed it. It was then returned to the factory in Germany and rebuilt with a new bodyshell and all the original mechanics that weren't crushed. So it was a 1993 model with 1987 mechanicals. It drank more than a Prime Minister at an illegal party. Even then, if I started driving early in the morning it could get through £100 worth of petrol before evening.

A lot of people can have problems getting spares with reg number. A friend wanted service parts for her Suntor which everywhere said Fiat engine. When parts were being ordered it could have Fiat, Peugeot or Citroen with the last being unlikely. Person doing the job took Fiat and Peugeot parts and of course it turned out to be Citroen. Mine quite often won’t identify correctly by reg, it says Sprinter 316 ok but many variations on that. I either give VIN number or part numbers off the original MB build card

Sounds like one of the Dealer Specials that are only available from one Dealer. Would explain why its not listed.

hi. your problem is its not a uk m/h so in most uk m/h/campers there is a label sewn in who made them like swift/autotrail you want to replace upholstery you can track them down . but if you bank on keeping it a while i would use the m/h for a few years to get some use out of it instead of throwing money away because its costly to change . we bought our cheyenne which was a demo but had green upholstery & never liked it so decided to change it 10 years later as a trade in :ROFLMAO: cheyenne

I did some modifications to the upholstery in my last MH. I thought the seat cushion parts were too soft, too thin and had no knee roll. So, in the dying moments of shops being open (literally they closed the doors when I left) before the lockdown I went to an upholstery shop, showed them the dimensions and they sold me everything I needed to make new upholstery. I got an old Husquvarna sewing machine for £30 and learned how to sew. I made the old upholstery into far superior comfort seating. I might well do just the same with this one. It's not rocket science - although I will readily accept that Regal Furnishings will do a better job. If you want diamond patterned stitching that would need to be done accurately but buttoning and edge piping is quite straightforward.

Well the end result is this: I returned to SMC where I bought my current MH becasue I saw on their web site another Chausson, same length, same year, same mileage, same automatic Transit same everything except the interior layout had a bigger washroom and smaller garage. It had the sooperdooper upholstery and was the same price that we paid for ours. How much to change? £15,000. For basically the same model, with exactly the same windscreen price as we had paid. So now you know how much profit they make - you must of course realise that they pay VAT on the cost difference between what they buy a vehicle for and what they sell it for so probably £13,000 profit. Blow that for a game of soldiers. Then I went to River Motorhomes near Stratford on avon. I found the same sooperdooper model as SMC had but one year older. How much to change? £2000 so that is what I am going for. Except that this one has an even better bed system. Imagine two single drop down beds lengthways above the lounge. Then imagine the foot end of each bed is cut away, forming a sort of Y shape. Thus each occupant can get out of bed without having to climb over the other one. The beds operate separately and come down to sofa level so there's no need for climbing a ladder. Collection end of next week. I am now looking around for hydraulic self levelling systems but I can't find a thread here for them. Anyone know if there is one?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back