Yellow warning light

Vanterrier

You couldnt make it up, really

Two nice relaxing days driving down to the Euro Tunnel. We arrive an hour before our shuttle is due and I am happy...
Then the signs say proceed to Customs and I start her up and THERES A YELLOW WARNING SIGN APPEARS ON THE DASH... AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
Its an engine shaped icon which the manual tells me is the injection system and I will have dirty emmissions and poor fuel consumption and should take it to a Fiat dealer who would be glad to fleece me in six weeks time when they have an appointment etc etc.
Its the Fiat 3000 multijet160 engine of 2010 with just 37000 on the clock.
Any advice or suggestions?
Im in France now and the engine feels no different
K :(

Last edited:
You really need to get the fault code read to see what the problem is \ was as there could have been a fault that triggered the light thats not there now You don't really need a Fiat main dealer as most garages have equipment to read fault codes. Not much use now but you can get a program for your computer to do this you do need OBD to USB lead to connect it

Thanks all. I have a code reader in the shed at home ? not sure if I could discuss codes with my limited french. and yes the light stays on.
I will disconnect the battery tomorrow to see if it resets.
Cheers
K ;)

Well Glory be! With no intervention from me, this morning the light went out as it should do and has behaved ever since. I think I will get some Redex or Rougex and give it a dose.
Fingers crossed

K ;)

Had you been on a motorway b4 you stopped and had. And purged the system ie giving it a bit welly
Then overnight it’s done a self diagnose / clear fault

I had this once, got all worried about it. Typically it was a French bank holiday. Crept slowly to destination and called friendly garage back home “It’ll probably reset itself and clear when you restart tomorrow...often happens”. Proved he was right, no further problems.

The light will extinguish itself after 5 restarts if the fault has gone away.
Suggest you drive it like you stole it for a while, get the revs up to clear out the system.

Things have changed again. I filled up with regular diesel this morning and have not managed to get any additive yet.
Van ran fine all day but after leaving for a couple of hours to have our tea i decided to reverse onto levelling blocks. I turned the key and the engine momentarily started then stopped straight away. It did this several times before finally firing up and running.
I stopped the engine then restarted no problem.
Fingers crossed for the morning now.
I know what I will be dreaming of tonight
K ?

Last edited:
Started no problem this morning and ran fine all day. Have now added some Total "Diesel detox treatment" - all I could get a hold of on a sunday...
K ?

Right. Thetes a pattern developing now...

This morning for the third time it took five goes to start up. Five cranks last time too.

Yellow light came on and stsyed on until I had stopped and stsrted five times. Same as last time.

So. Magic number is five?

Someone must know if this is a code?

K :(

You need to find out what the fault code is, it’s clearly intermittent which is why it disappears after 5 starts but it needs to be scanned to find the problem

Think it might be glow plug related and b4anyone jumps in I know the glow plugs on hoi do not operate u TIL sub zero but I’ve had this b4 not saying this is the fault but similar to what I’ve had b4

Cheers Pete. I intend to find the code when I get home at the end of the month. Until then I will worry that when it happens the fifth time it will limit me to 5mph and cost £5k to fix after 5 weeks...
K ;)

Hi Gordon and thanks. Yes I had a similar light on a Grand Vitara caused by a duff glow plug so know what you mean.
K ;)

You can get a CEL come on after a misfire on initial start . But as mentioned if not repeated will self cancel . The slow to start and CEL trigger might be down to fuel drain back , low pressure . Have you had filters changed recently ?

No filters or anything else changed recently. It ran perfect during tour of Ireland in July and as I say just started as we were to board the tunnel train. No misfire or any change in performance, just the light and the five crank start up every few days.
I have added three lots of additive now too.
As long as she gets me home...
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back