Yet another battery question

saxonborg

My starter battery has been showing signs of weakness so I removed it from the moho to charge it on my multistage charger. When I first charged it , it wasn’t on charge long before it went onto float charge. I then removed it from the charger and left it for at least 24 hours and checked the SG of each cell. I did this four times , one cell started off at 1.175 and rose to 1.220 whilst all the other cells started off between 1.225/1.250 and rose to 1.250/1.265. After the last charge the battery showed a voltage of 12.75 volts. Would it be safe to assume that one cell is on it’s way out and I should replace the battery?

I have just change mine it was 6 and half years old it showed good on a drop test but not on a crank test and you could tell when it turned over from cold it wasn’t as fast as it should have been fitted a Yuasa silver 5000 800a

I have just change mine it was 6 and half years old it showed good on a drop test but not on a crank test and you could tell when it turned over from cold it wasn’t as fast as it should have been fitted a Yuasa silver 5000 800a
That’s the dilemma, the voltage reading says it’s charged but the SG readings says it isn’t.?

Have you had it drop tested? Also how old is it? Would you feel that it’s had a useful life and aren’t too worried (barring price obviously) and feel you’ve had all you can out of it. Obviously you’re a bit unsure about it, is peace of mind worth changing it anyway? Questions, questions, questions. Only you have the answer to that.

Have you had it drop tested? Also how old is it? Would you feel that it’s had a useful life and aren’t too worried (barring price obviously) and feel you’ve had all you can out of it. Obviously you’re a bit unsure about it, is peace of mind worth changing it anyway? Questions, questions, questions. Only you have the answer to that.
Not sure how old it is, it was on the moho when we bought it early 2015, it is not the cost of replacement that concerns me I just like to know why and if it is actually failing.

Batteries fail after use..Maybe yours had mis-use before

Our EB did 12 years ! 8 with us
LB failed or more accurately failed to hold a reliable charge after 8 (4 with us) due to no charge over 1 winter.
It lasted one last summer with solar after that winter but then I decided to dump it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back