151 Sticker Remover Kit

Les Haro

151 Sticker Remover Kit

I have removed 10 yr old masking tape with this stuff.
It smells nice and hasn't harmed any surface that I have used it on.
I am not too sure what effect it may have on a 'Swift' though.
"it could only improve it"
Step forward whoever said that.

You can't use white spirit on plastic, you can use meths on plastic.
White spirit makes plastic brittle.

I find a hair dryer is good to remove them and lighter fluid gets rid of any remaining adhesive.

Edina;n12837 said:
I find a hair dryer is good to remove them and lighter fluid gets rid of any remaining adhesive.

Yup - little bit of heat and a gentle touch.

Les Haro;n12830 said:
You can't use white spirit on plastic, you can use meths on plastic.
White spirit makes plastic brittle.

's'funny. My white spirit comes in a plastic container.

Spacerunner;n12853 said:
's'funny. My white spirit comes in a plastic container.

In all seriousness - different plastics are affected by solvents in different ways.
There are masses of different types of plastic, dependant on their chemical composition.

Where in the Care Instructions for a Motor Home does it say 'wash down with white spirit'
or acetone and a hair dryer needed
I don't give advice on a public platform that Norman Numpty could mess up with.

Les Haro;n12894 said:
Where in the Care Instructions for a Motor Home does it say 'wash down with white spirit'
or acetone and a hair dryer needed
I don't give advice on a public platform that Norman Numpty could mess up with.

Doh! It's just after the bit about using 151 Sticker Removal Kit! ?

If the Civil Aviation Authority (all aircraft) say not to use white spirit on any aircraft part due to the detrimental effect of white spirit on plastics then it is wise to not use said product don't you think.
When using solvents one should read the MSDS guide lines before application.
So if you don't know the constituent parts of your brand of white spirit (there are many different recipes) and you don't know what plastics you are liable to contaminate with said white spirit, then you should not use it.
Plastic might not show any signs of a detrimental effect of contamination with white spirit, it alters the chemical structure, but in time you will see surface crazing leading to brittle breakable once flexible plastic.
I worked in aviation with plastics glues and solvents and have seen under a microscope said crazing.
Have you ever wondered why that piece of once flexible plastic snapped.
Ever lubricated plastic with WD40 when you should have used a PTFE spray.
Take a close look at the plastics on your MH they don't all come from the automotive stock bin of durable plastics that Joe Public can mess with.

Not a problem with my Swift, less than a year old & the big Swift sticker at the front is peeling off all by itself :mad:

It's not the adhesive or the stickers you need to worry about, but the ghosting if it's been on a while, Some bloody moron stuck stripes all over out present van, I wasn't bothered as I've removed plenty of decals etc on courier vans I've owned, but this was real cow, it took me weeks to get it looking anything like decent, and I'm still not happy with it.

Pudsey Bear;n13119 said:
It's not the adhesive or the stickers you need to worry about, but the ghosting if it's been on a while, Some bloody moron stuck stripes all over out present van, I wasn't bothered as I've removed plenty of decals etc on courier vans I've owned, but this was real cow, it took me weeks to get it looking anything like decent, and I'm still not happy with it.

Is that not due to UV exposure, where the sticker has provided protection to the surface?

Les Haro;n12761 said:
I have removed 10 yr old masking tape with this stuff.
It smells nice and hasn't harmed any surface that I have used it on.
I am not too sure what effect it may have on a 'Swift' though.
"it could only improve it"
Step forward whoever said that.

They've got the 151 kit at poundshop.com... guess how much they are? :b0213:

Another vote for the 151 kit. Found some remains of selotape on the window at home. White spirit did not touch it but the 151 sorted it out easy peasy.

That's how I discovered it last year.
Went back and bought a fivers worth.
Give it away as presents, people are very grateful.

Les Haro;n13072 said:
If the Civil Aviation Authority (all aircraft) say not to use white spirit on any aircraft part due to the detrimental effect of white spirit on plastics then it is wise to not use said product don't you think.
When using solvents one should read the MSDS guide lines before application.
So if you don't know the constituent parts of your brand of white spirit (there are many different recipes) and you don't know what plastics you are liable to contaminate with said white spirit, then you should not use it.
Plastic might not show any signs of a detrimental effect of contamination with white spirit, it alters the chemical structure, but in time you will see surface crazing leading to brittle breakable once flexible plastic.
I worked in aviation with plastics glues and solvents and have seen under a microscope said crazing.
Have you ever wondered why that piece of once flexible plastic snapped.
Ever lubricated plastic with WD40 when you should have used a PTFE spray.
Take a close look at the plastics on your MH they don't all come from the automotive stock bin of durable plastics that Joe Public can mess with.

Same when you tell people not to use fairy liquid on gas or Vaseline on water pipes etc
ok some may say it is manufacturers trying to sell a product but often the manufacturers have made the products precisely because there is a problem,
I use silicone grease on water as it is approved for that job the same as leak detection fluid is approved for use on gas seals .

Banned member;n13316 said:
Same when you tell people not to use fairy liquid on gas or Vaseline on water pipes etc
ok some may say it is manufacturers trying to sell a product but often the manufacturers have made the products precisely because there is a problem,
I use silicone grease on water as it is approved for that job the same as leak detection fluid is approved for use on gas seals .

How long ago did you stop using fairy liquid on plastic water fittings, and do you know of any reason to not do so now apart from the existence of silicone sprays.
Never having used silicone spray, because I have had PTFE spray, is it the same ish, only PTFE is more of a lubricant.
Both are like hand cream for rubber/plastic, which is my main use, but Joe Public overall would find more uses for which product.
I know silicone stops your doors from getting frozen shut, obvious when you think about it, have you discovered any more tricks and uses.

What ever you do don't do a Google search of just 'silicone lubricants'.
If you do please post them in a new thread attributed to yourself.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back