Anyone got an Omnistor 5500?

in h

Free Member

It seems that my awning has a broken part.

A small plastic catch at the end, about the size of a clothes peg, with some sort of hook attached (or in the case of mine, missing).

I'm informed that this part is no longer available as a spare, but I'm sure it would be easy to make with a 3D printer.

The trouble is that the bit that broke off is missing so I have nothing to work from.

I'm hoping to find someone who has this sort of awning, who'd be prepared to send me a photo of an unbroken version of this component.

Can anyone help with this, please?

I don’t have a 3D printer but have you tried O’Leary motorhomes for a replacement part?

I don’t have a 3D printer but have you tried O’Leary motorhomes for a replacement part?
Not yet, partly because I can't find a part number for it.

I'm not asking about a 3D printer. I just want a photo of the part. I have a feeling that it is a mirror image of the matching one at the other end, but I'd like to confirm that with photo.

Update:
I have managed to find the bit that broke off. It must have fallen out a while back when the van was parked in a different position, so it was able to hide in the gravel.
So now I think I have enough information to be able to build a new bit, but Plan A is to try to glue the bit back on. It might work!

Last edited:
I find that solvent cement sticks a lot of different plastics well

Solvent weld works really well on 'some' plastics... When it's a socket type joint (large surface area for it to act on)
Not much good on a butt joint...

To be honest IF it's anything that takes any sort of stress....
Gluing will likely be a temporary fix at best...

Luckily, I think the design allows a little reinforcement around the place where the join will be. Too hot to really look at it today, though.

This is where it is missing from:
broken-from.jpg
and this is the missing bit:
broken-off-bit.jpg

Last edited:
I asked them, and the helpful man said he'd find out and asked me to phone again in half an hour.
Half an hour later (and intermittently for the next couple of hours) I couldn't get through: engaged or no reply.

I asked them, and the helpful man said he'd find out and asked me to phone again in half an hour.
Half an hour later (and intermittently for the next couple of hours) I couldn't get through: engaged or no reply.
I know they have absolute masses of stock, when I have been in store it’s always been busy and one guy in shop bit. Phone rings a lot and if he is serving he doesn’t answer. No good for you though

You should talk to the guys at Rose Awnings, they have loads of spares and customer service is brilliant. Talked me through how to fix mine on the phone, very knowledgable.

I reckon that superglue might hold it.
But as you say it does look as if you could add reinforcement on the open side.
Hope you can get it fixed.

If it’s anything like almost any non brittle plastic I have tried to glue, it won’t work. It looks like polyethylene.
You could try drilling and pinning the two parts together or make a steel plate to screw over the join, then use something like araldite ( other epoxy glues are available, but probably not as good!) to hold it all together.

Well at least you'll be able to provide the exact part number before you get told it's not available or silly money to buy!!
Bodge it 😀😀

If it’s anything like almost any non brittle plastic I have tried to glue, it won’t work. It looks like polyethylene.
You could try drilling and pinning the two parts together or make a steel plate to screw over the join, then use something like araldite ( other epoxy glues are available, but probably not as good!) to hold it all together.
That's great, thanks.
I think the bit I need is 55 5428 00 but it isn't listed as one of the items they sell, so I might try a repair first.
You can still get that part, might need to try Germany if it won't glue .....
40DCB2F9-E46C-49A4-A7ED-C72B1BC91F5B.png

It's certainly not polystyrene: solvent weld glue doesn't touch it.
I've ordered some glue that claims to stick "most hard plastics such as rigid PVC, acrylic, polycarbonate and ABS" I think that drilling and inserting pins and maybe a small stainless steel side plate might be a smart way to boost the strength.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back