Calorifier or Propex Elec Water Heater

Backitupjack

Free Member

Looking at installing a Calorifier in the van mainly for supplying hot water to the shower all costed up and planned out not yet purchased the Calorifier, i have been looking at the pros and cons of maybe installing a Propex or other electric storage heater as an alternative option, the Propex will be solely reliant on electric which wont be a problem as i have the battery bank to charge the 1200w heater.
I see the Propex route as cheaper and easier to install but totally reliable on electric were as the Calorifier is more expensive to fit with a fair bit more work involved but has the advantage of not being reliant on electric but can also use its 1000w emersion heater if needed there are a few other pros and cons between the two options just after anyone's experience / advice on there proffered choice

I have not used either, but if I were doing another self-build, I would almost certainly go down the Calorifier route with electric immersion option for maximum flexibility. The cost is greater but if you think of that extra spread out over the time you expect to have the camper, how much would it cost extra per year?

I have a SureJust calorifier with a 1Kw immersion although I have never wired that up yet. Obviously you need to move/run the engine to get hot water without the immersion.
If I was doing something now maybe heat exchangers off a diesel heater like Bobil vans did although they are moving more to proper fired I think now.

I have not used either, but if I were doing another self-build, I would almost certainly go down the Calorifier route with electric immersion option for maximum flexibility. The cost is greater but if you think of that extra spread out over the time you expect to have the camper, how much would it cost extra per year?
Must admit Calorifier is my preferred route as like you say offers the best flexibility thanks for advise

I have a SureJust calorifier with a 1Kw immersion although I have never wired that up yet. Obviously you need to move/run the engine to get hot water without the immersion.
If I was doing something now maybe heat exchangers off a diesel heater like Bobil vans did although they are moving more to proper fired I think now.
I had looked at the Bobil vans set up but just thought the Calorifier seemed a more robust set up again thanks for comment

Here is a little question for you ... I had a VW T5 Shuttle that was fitted with a factory 'HVAC' (Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning) Unit at the rear, feeding air to floor and roof vents, and fed by the engines coolant system same as a Calorfier unit would be.
The Shuttle is a big open van-spaced area of course, and one day was blooming freezing so I turned on the HVAC to pretty well full to try and heat the space .... The HVAC took so much heat out the coolant the engine was not able to get upto full operating temp and the cab heater would get to full heat either. I would think a water heater would run for quite a bit less time to get around 10L to temp but have you noticed that kind of effect when you use the calorfier in the winter and the Sprinters engine taking longer to warm up?

I haven’t noticed any difference to tell the truth Dave although my van also has the Eberspacher water heater to reduce the time it takes to get engine up to temperature. Not cold at all at present but I did note yesterday that the drive from a little past Spean Bridge into Fort William had the engine up to temperature and therefore a full tank of hot water, (maybe 24 miles and half an hour).

I do also have the heat exchangers under the fixed bed that will scavenge heat from the coolant water to warm air. Usually only in winter I use that if I remember for last half hour before parking up if it is still cool inside.

My Shuttle had the Webasto TTC Pre-Engine heater as well, but I don't know if it ever really did work (it was meant to come on when temp below 7C I think?), but I know by the time I sold the van it definately DIDN'T work as one day it just switched itself on and never went off, sucking power from the battery and making a lot of noise constantly. Just took the fuse out to stop it and ignored it after that.
I know some people look at 'repurposing' those engine pre-heaters to become space heaters but the cost of the parts to convert is close to a proper Eberspacher. Very glad I didn't go down that route when the heater failed anyway and the cost of repairing the heater would be hundreds of quid.

Watching Liam the Terrible fitting out a van build. He fitted a Bobil hybrid gas/12v water heater. If a van was to be gas free, the the 12v Bobil could be the option. In the unlikely event I was to get another van, that’s the way I’d go.
Moving every few days, given a sensible battery bank, say a couple of kw 😉, a gas free van is a possibility without EHU.

Watching Liam the Terrible fitting out a van build. He fitted a Bobil hybrid gas/12v water heater. If a van was to be gas free, the the 12v Bobil could be the option. In the unlikely event I was to get another van, that’s the way I’d go.
Moving every few days, given a sensible battery bank, say a couple of kw 😉, a gas free van is a possibility without EHU.
Bobil look to be changing a bit Dell, have a look on their site, seem to be moving to Propex I think it was instead of their original setup. I think this may be so they can have a system under pressure, their old system had to be pumped after their tank unless low pressure.

Power certainly no problem when moving even without solar, keep kicking myself for not getting an induction hob before now, then again my Le Cruset kettle won’t work on induction lol

Bobil look to be changing a bit Dell, have a look on their site, seem to be moving to Propex I think it was instead of their original setup. I think this may be so they can have a system under pressure, their old system had to be pumped after their tank unless low pressure.

Power certainly no problem when moving even without solar, keep kicking myself for not getting an induction hob before now, then again my Le Cruset kettle won’t work on induction lol
A new van ain't going to happen this side of a lottery win. Do you still have to buy a ticket?
The Bobil I saw EtT, (ET, call home) fit, had a cylinder with an immersion heater in it, That you would need, as well as the water radiator set up, that you wouldn't need, being gas free.*
An induction hob would be the very last thing I'd ever use. I think I can honestly say that. Pacemakers really don't care for them.;)
* I feel as I'm speaking/typing English as a foreign language.

A new van ain't going to happen this side of a lottery win. Do you still have to buy a ticket?
The Bobil I saw EtT, (ET, call home) fit, had a cylinder with an immersion heater in it, That you would need, as well as the water radiator set up, that you wouldn't need, being gas free.*
An induction hob would be the very last thing I'd ever use. I think I can honestly say that. Pacemakers really don't care for them.;)
* I feel as I'm speaking/typing English as a foreign language.
It reads like you are typing English as a foreign language as well 😂😂😂

Apparently the Induction/Microwave use with Pacemaker issue was with the first generation Pacemakers and the latest/current ones are ok with 'magnetic' cooking. Could be worth checking with a tame cardiologist to see?

Apparently the Induction/Microwave use with Pacemaker issue was with the first generation Pacemakers and the latest/current ones are ok with 'magnetic' cooking. Could be worth checking with a tame cardiologist to see?
Check up in October. I'll ask again then.
Nic wouldn't be bothered. There's no life insurance left anymore.lol

I looked on both the Bobil and Propex websites. Similar products, not sure if they are the same.
As for typing rubbish yesterday. Nursing a poorly 3 year old, takes its toll, especially on wrinkly’s.

I looked on both the Bobil and Propex websites. Similar products, not sure if they are the same.
As for typing rubbish yesterday. Nursing a poorly 3 year old, takes its toll, especially on wrinkly’s.
Sorry Del I hadn’t checked Bobil site lately so was working from (koff, koff) memory. It is Autoterm gear Bobil seem to be moving towards although their kit does not look like the heaters on Autoterms own website. It’s a shame as Bobil original setup was very cost effective if setting up your own van. I did look at adding it to mine but I would have had to run two separate hot water systems.

Edit: looks like they may now have something I can fit to my system, need to look a bit more and contact them again though to make sure. Must have had a lot of us asking about fitting to existing calorifier, most likely our boating brethren :)

Last edited:
Sorry Del I hadn’t checked Bobil site lately so was working from (koff, koff) memory. It is Autoterm gear Bobil seem to be moving towards although their kit does not look like the heaters on Autoterms own website. It’s a shame as Bobil original setup was very cost effective if setting up your own van. I did look at adding it to mine but I would have had to run two separate hot water systems.

Edit: looks like they may now have something I can fit to my system, need to look a bit more and contact them again though to make sure. Must have had a lot of us asking about fitting to existing calorifier, most likely our boating brethren :)
Obviously I won't be fitting a Bobill to my van. The idea of being gas free, is just that, an idea.
To save gas, I'll be running the Truma, on electric, when driving, via the inverter, once the batteries are topped up.
The only downside to this is, having to have a shower, when the water is available, not when it suits me. Memories of showering in Tesco Inverness car park.;)

Storing hot water seems impractical. Unless someone knows differently:)

Last edited:
I am in the process of installing a 30l calorifier in my Crafter.
I also have a heater matrix with blower motor that I hope to use to heat the back of the van when driving.
currently waiting for a 5l expansion tank to arrive then I can start juggling all the bits to make best use of the space!

That is probably the biggest downside with a Calorifier they are big and the related bits need a lot of room.

if I had room for a flue I would have used an instantaneous lpg heater same as I have in my Sprinter, so much easier!

I am in the process of installing a 30l calorifier in my Crafter.
I also have a heater matrix with blower motor that I hope to use to heat the back of the van when driving.
currently waiting for a 5l expansion tank to arrive then I can start juggling all the bits to make best use of the space!

That is probably the biggest downside with a Calorifier they are big and the related bits need a lot of room.

if I had room for a flue I would have used an instantaneous lpg heater same as I have in my Sprinter, so much easier!
30ltr is a big tank, you fitting a bath :)

I suppose if you are driving long distances, you may as well use the excess heat from the engine coolant to good use.
On the flip side, having such a large tank could mean that you never actually get the water properly hot UNLESS you do long journeys all the time?

I would be slightly concerned with a tank that size that may have water just sitting right at the perfect breeding temperature for Legionella for long periods of time and probably never get flushed out fully but topped up.

FWIW, My standard fit LPG/Electric Water Heater is 10L and that is just about right I think. Enough water for a nice shower and gets upto temp in around 60 minutes on the 850W electric. The Gas I think is 2kW so would be under 30 minutes to heat to temp I guess? (Temp being >60C).
An extra 5L might be nice sometimes. I wonder if a very neat setup could be a secondary tank that could be opened to work in parallel on those occasions where you have the spare energy to heat up more water to shower/anti-legionella temps (ideally >70C)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back