Calorifier or Propex Elec Water Heater

Calorifier every day connected in parallel with the engine and any other radiators.
Just remember the system needs balancing.
Also with modern engines that struggle to warm up make sure the balance valves are closed enough to give priority to the engine.
Also very useful is an Eberspacher, good for preheating the engine too.

I got my Calofier for nothing whilst doing some work on a narrow boat so 30l it is!
Would have preferred something a bit smaller and then could have got away with a smaller expansion tank as well.

As for legionella etc running off the engine cooling system I expect the water to get to around 80c relatively quickly but certainly often enough to kill any bugs.

That I think is one of the downsides with the original bobble idea as they were never getting the water hot enough until they added the tank and immersion setup.

Just checked the surejust wub site.
The 22 and 30l models are fat little sausages!
My preference would have been the Chipollata 20l tank but it’s 800mm long which would be too long for the space I have available.

At the moment mine has a 1kW immersion elephant fitted which would also Dalek any little bugs
Very tempted to get one of the dual 12v DC/ 230v AC variants though instead to dump any excess solar into.

Later, like eventually as in a project for next year, I might add either an Eberspacher d5 or a Webasto thermo top in to the mix seeing as I have a couple sitting in my use them one day box.

Having a dual 12v/240V element would be very handy if you dont have (or otherwise need) an inverter. I have the 240V electric element of my heater connected through an relay controlled by the battery state of charge or presence of EHU, so if I am in currently rare position of excess solar it can get put to use.
Because I have the inverter in place anyway for the 240V fridge and other stuff, I can use that but it would have been annoying to have to get an inverter just for the purpose of occasional water heating.

Last edited:
Having a dual 12v/240V element would be very handy if you dont have (or otherwise need) an inverter. I have the 240V electric element of my heater connected through an relay controlled by the battery state of charge or presence of EHU, so if I am in currently rare position of excess solar it can get put to use.
I'm doing this manually atm, an auto connection may be the mod after next.. That way I'd have hot water, even if I forget to switch it over. A recurring problem. 'Tis an age thing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back