Changing batteries

Aly1

I am swapping my 2 Haze gel batteries for exactly the same batteries. I have an NDS battery manager and a solar panel.
I have read somewhere that I need to cover my solar panel.
Can someone pretend they are explaining it to a 5 year old child and tell me if I need to do anything else before I disconnect the batteries and put new ones in. I know not to be connected to EHU but can I electrocute myself still?

Solar panels I have only ever just pulled the fuse .
If that’s right or wrong I don’t know .
depends where the fuse is :)

I am swapping my 2 Haze gel batteries for exactly the same batteries. I have an NDS battery manager and a solar panel.
I have read somewhere that I need to cover my solar panel.
Can someone pretend they are explaining it to a 5 year old child and tell me if I need to do anything else before I disconnect the batteries and put new ones in. I know not to be connected to EHU but can I electrocute myself still?
Covering the panel will stop any power to the controller. not a bad idea to do and you only need to cover a bit of it - no need for full coverage :)

Just turn everything off before you disconnect and should be fine. One thing to possibly watch out for .... I don't know what motorhome you have but some have a water dump valve that activates as soon as leisure battery power is lost, so don't be to surprised if you (or rather your motorhome) suddenly start dumping!

The fuses are on all the wires exiting the. Controller
So pulling them there is no power going anywhere . Positive or negative .

By the way sent mail to you website have you received it.

Firstly, I'd advise against gel batteries. They have no advantages apart from unspillability (handy for caravanners who remove batteries to charge them). No harm, except the cost, but no advantage.

To answer your question, no you can't electrocute yourself. The batteries are 12v. The solar panels less than 30v. Not high enough voltage to give a shock, though it would register as a really nasty taste if you licked it. Basically you need about 60 volts to push its way through a human.

As for covering the panels, yes, I've read that nonsense too. I swap a solar panel array and controller between battery banks on a regular basis with no issues.

However, if you're worried, swap the batteries on a cloudy day or after sunset. Or disconnect a solar cable at the controller end. Covering roof mounted panels is a fool's errand and a safety risk.

There shouldn't be a fuse in the panels circuit, so that's a non-runner.

Firstly, I'd advise against gel batteries. They have no advantages apart from unspillability (handy for caravanners who remove batteries to charge them). No harm, except the cost, but no advantage.

To answer your question, no you can't electrocute yourself. The batteries are 12v. The solar panels less than 30v. Not high enough voltage to give a shock, though it would register as a really nasty taste if you licked it. Basically you need about 60 volts to push its way through a human.

As for covering the panels, yes, I've read that nonsense too. I swap a solar panel array and controller between battery banks on a regular basis with no issues.

However, if you're worried, swap the batteries on a cloudy day or after sunset. Or disconnect a solar cable at the controller end. Covering roof mounted panels is a fool's errand and a safety risk.

Having fitted many panels and controllers,I have yet to see a controller that does not state battery Must be connected first to prevent potential damage to the controller.Always disconnect panels 1st.There is good reason for this which has been discussed on this and other forums previously

Yes, they tell you to connect the battery first.

I have switched batteries with panels running scores, maybe hundreds, of times, with various different controllers. Never a problem.

This has indeed been discussed here many times, as has drinking when parked up and the dangers of reverse polarity mains. These discussions rehash the same misunderstandings without adding light or clarity.

Thanks for your replies guys. The seller on EBay is going to fit the batteries for me. Gel out of stock anyway so getting AGM ones that are exactly the same size as I am taking out.

Yes, they tell you to connect the battery first. I have switched batteries with panels running scores, maybe hundreds, of times, with various different controllers. Never a problem.
You've only got to be unlucky once and it's an expensive mistake.How long does it take to pull a wire ? Or better still have a switch between the panels and controller as I have.
Last resort to cover panel due to falling risk

I can't see any risk. The controller has to be able to cope with the panel's full no-load voltage.

Have you ever heard of anyone having a problem caused following a battery coming disconnected with panels running? I haven't, but it's not an uncommon fault to occur.

Being unlucky is falling off the roof or dropping a heavy object into a panel.

No never heard of anyone having a problem but that doesn't mean it does not happen.
That's why I said last resort cover panels,I perhaps should have added or do it live you may get away with it !

I'm not an electronics expert by any means,so have to accept multiple manufacturers advice.
Have read somewhere something about the controller uses battery voltage to determine system parameters for operating voltage, I'm sure one the many on here with greater knowledge than mine will be along to answer your question

I'm not an electronics expert by any means,so have to accept multiple manufacturers advice.
Have read somewhere something about the controller uses battery voltage to determine system parameters for operating voltage, I'm sure one the many on here with greater knowledge than mine will be along to answer your question
I am someone with the greater knowledge. And I am an electronics expert.

If no fuse in the controller you could fit one or a switch inline before the unit making battery removal or any work simple.

Fuses protect cables. The fuse should be at the source end that might provide a high fault current. That means the battery end of the cable to the controller, not the controller end.

Back