Corrosion

andromeda

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Before starting cambelt etc I have just had a call from the garage telling me the extent of the corrosion underneath the van. He said it was before running up an expensive bill for me. He said that if Leo had gone to them she would not have passed MOT last year because of the extent. He's doing a quote.
I now have to weigh up cost of repairs versus value of van and how long she will survive anyway. The damp inside is not good either. If I part ex which I can't really afford to do I would imagine I'll get nix and I can't fob it off on Joe public without full disclosure. I feel like suing every b... garage I have taken to in the last 9 years who never pointed out the deterioration!
Sorry for rant

Thats the main thing i always sort out, waxoil or other under body spraying including inside doors box sections and sills etc.
Look for a cheap back street welder working from home, maybe half the price.

Thats the main thing i always sort out, waxoil or other under body spraying including inside doors box sections and sills etc.
Look for a cheap back street welder working from home, maybe half the price.
Blimey that was quick. I wish; unfortunately it is my own ignorance that has led to this. No mechanic me. I only learnt certain things last year about under the van. With my home I have always thought structure before decor and dealt accordingly; road stuff I have depended on garages.
On a lighter note I also have a choice between a prof decorator for the first time in my life and a motorhome for jollys.

Blimey that was quick. I wish; unfortunately it is my own ignorance that has led to this. No mechanic me. I only learnt certain things last year about under the van. With my home I have always thought structure before decor and dealt accordingly; road stuff I have depended on garages.
On a lighter note I also have a choice between a prof decorator for the first time in my life and a motorhome for jollys.
Im sure you will get sorted without to much outlay, always bodywork before macanical things, you can replace a a clutch, but not the body

I hope the quote for underneath is as reasonable as the one for the cambelt.

Maybe get an annual inspection rather than just an MOT, the MOT is confined to only structural rust, such as steering, suspension and body mounts etc, a good tester if asked will do this at the same time, but many give out enough bad news without doing the extra, but it is imperative to know as welding on a MoHo is not easy due to all the flammable stuff inside the walls and floors, it's really a two man job, one welding, one fire watching.

Maybe get an annual inspection rather than just an MOT, the MOT is confined to only structural rust, such as steering, suspension and body mounts etc, a good tester if asked will do this at the same time, but many give out enough bad news without doing the extra, but it is imperative to know as welding on a MoHo is not easy due to all the flammable stuff inside the walls and floors, it's really a two man job, one welding, one fire watching.
Had a full service every year bar last year and hab checks also every year.
Oh well; just shows life is always a learning curve :unsure::)

None of which will cover under the van unless you specify it unfortunately.

I hope you get a quote you can live with, then sell it or PX it as it will carry on rusting elsewhere sadly.

None of which will cover under the van unless you specify it unfortunately.

I hope you get a quote you can live with, then sell it or PX it as it will carry on rusting elsewhere sadly.
A sense of perspective has returned after my initial panic/sadness.
Some people would love to be in my shoes; I can pay my bills, feed myself and have a roof over my head. There are places in the world where prople would love to even have a roof!
It will get sorted one way or the other. 🙂

A sense of perspective has returned after my initial panic/sadness.
Some people would love to be in my shoes; I can pay my bills, feed myself and have a roof over my head. There are places in the world where prople would love to even have a roof!
It will get sorted one way or the other. 🙂
How on earth did you see my hovil from over there.

Well I'm going to bite the bullet and get rid whatever the outcome. Want something smaller anyway but not a camper van; would go insane. Trouble is that in my price range the layouts I like are even older and possibly have even more problems.🙄

Well I'm going to bite the bullet and get rid whatever the outcome. Want something smaller anyway but not a camper van; would go insane. Trouble is that in my price range the layouts I like are even older and possibly have even more problems.🙄
Small semi high roof van conversion would be best.

What layout would you like Mrs Dromeda?

We've tried front, read and mid lounges, they all have pros and cons, we (Liz) decided we wanted a large rear bathroom we went through three van before we (I) argued that it was a huge waste of space.

May or may not be keeping Leo. Whilst major work needed apparently would probably last me another 5 years as to quote the garage owner it is a sound van otherwise. Have an independent person with mechanic training going out to give me a second opinion then will weigh up my options.
Vans I have looked at on the net in my price range are either older or or only a couple of years younger. It may be a case of the devil you know.

Thanks for putting up with my moanings. Bloomin brain fog does not help when you feel you holidays slipping away despite all your other blessings.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back