Drones.

snapster

I’ve had a few drones in the past, starting with a self build then a couple of DJI Phantoms and the last one, sold about 5 years ago was a Yuneec 500.
I’m just considering buying a new small one to travel around with. The new DJI Mini SE seems about the cheapest one with decent spec and good reviews, does anyone own one or have any experience, good or bad with the new Mini drones?

I have a syma W1 pro.
Checkout the youtube videos.
Small neat cheapish
Limited fly time.
Forward and down camera/video.
Can control by phone or included unit.
Initial calibration a bit fussy

20220616_011553_777.jpg

Well, after considering a few models I went for a DJI mini SE Fly more Combi. It comes with 3 batteries, a charging hub and spare props. Ive only had a few flights to set it up and test everything ( we have to be careful here, restrictions on flying in France seem very tight and the DJI AirMap ( showing restricted flying zones ) is totally different to the French gov restricted zones map) I can’t officially fly in my garden!
Still, we are moving house next week and our new house is in an area with no restrictions at all.

A friend recently bought the package you have, he’s well pleased with it.
Just take care if flying in an area with obstacles as it doesn’t have obstacle avoidance.

It's something that interests me. Can I ask you chaps how much these things/packages are? Please PM me if you'd prefer not to say publicly.

I paid €399 for the DJI mini SE fly more combo in France, probably around £350 in the U.K.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
I’ve had a few drones in the past, starting with a self build then a couple of DJI Phantoms and the last one, sold about 5 years ago was a Yuneec 500.
I’m just considering buying a new small one to travel around with. The new DJI Mini SE seems about the cheapest one with decent spec and good reviews, does anyone own one or have any experience, good or bad with the new Mini drones?
Very good until it gets a bit drafty. Being lightweight they often struggle to fly into the wind well before a larger model (eg. Phantom). Its the old right tool for the job and the compromise is well worth it if you are careful.

My first self built drone weighed around 2kg and was rock solid in the wind. It was a brilliant drone, very agile ( for its size) and fitted with a GoPro camera and 8” blades.
Problem was, it kept falling out of the sky! I don’t think the Arduino flight controller software had quite ironed out all the bugs!

Sticking my neck out here but I dont like them... we were pitched up on Anglesey once when some twat thought it would be hilarious to hover above us for ages, just too high to hit with a rock, yes I tried. Pity I didn't have my air rifle... never did find out who was controlling it, probably just as well...
Whats the point???
K :(

Sticking my neck out here but I dont like them... we were pitched up on Anglesey once when some twat thought it would be hilarious to hover above us for ages, just too high to hit with a rock, yes I tried. Pity I didn't have my air rifle... never did find out who was controlling it, probably just as well...
Whats the point???
Keep a bb gun in the van but remember it’s an offence to travel to Scotland with one 👍

Edit: not that I have a problem with drones, I keep fancying one. If one stayed over me for a long time though, maybe…

Whats the point???

I guess the problem there was the owner/flyer and not the drone. I don't have a dog in this fight but am interested because of the videos/photos that they can take. Mrs GMJ has limited mobility so cannot get to places and see the things I see so as much as I describe them to her and take photos, she doesn't get the best experience. I'm thinking that a drone might help us with that.

Whats the point???
Hovering over you is against the guidance and possibly illegal as ars many aspects of inconsiderate use
No great purpose except you can get some good images/video.
I do not contest your opinion.

The problem is that for years, irresponsible drone owners have made a nuisance of themselves, so much so that the civil aviation authorities issued lists of rules and guidelines, that responsible owners abide by.
But, those irresponsible users who caused the rules to be made are still the ones that are hovering over people and causing airports to shut down runways…

The problem is that for years, irresponsible drone owners have made a nuisance of themselves, so much so that the civil aviation authorities issued lists of rules and guidelines, that responsible owners abide by.
But, those irresponsible users who caused the rules to be made are still the ones that are hovering over people and causing airports to shut down runways…
Always a minority that cause problems in any sector unfortunately

Terrible if it’s true. People that fly drones in contravention to the rules are the ones that ruin it for everyone else. Still, there’s a huge following in the drone and model aircraft community and I don’t see that anyone should knock the hobby because they don’t like it themselves.
But, this report is similar to all those reports of motorhome cassettes being emptied down drains or on beaches or in the countryside. None of it is ever backed up with evidence.

I agree, responsible hobbyists irrespective of their hobby are marred by idiots which is a great shame and although I still don't get the attraction of drones I'm not intentionally knocking those responsible folk who have it as a hobby.
K ;)

I suppose one has to remember that in the population there is a certain percentage of twats, so it follows that in any activity, there will always be a certain percentage of twats doing it. You name it, there will be a percentage of twats involved.

As a lover of vanlife channels on youtube, I have to say that th edrone footage is spectacular and really enhances the enjoyment of their vlogs. If anyone hasn't found it recommend the camper vibe channel. They are currently travelling in Norway and their drone footage is superb.

Back